diy solar

diy solar

New Growatt hybrid inverter SPH10000TL- HU-US split phase

One way would be to use solar Assistant to change the TOU mode based on battery state of charge.

What inverters out there would let you do that with inverter native settings?
I'll have to look into that.

My sunny islands can automatically start charging the battery from grid if soc falls to a programmable level. And you can also set the soc where they stop charging

I'll have to look into that.

My sunny islands can automatically start charging the battery from grid if soc falls to a programmable level. And you can also set the soc where they stop charging
It is the case with our min inverters and appears to be the case with the new sph that if you use TOU to start AC charge, it will simply charge to the battery full setting, or until the TOU mode changes.

It is the case with our min inverters and appears to be the case with the new sph that if you use TOU to start AC charge, it will simply charge to the battery full setting, or until the TOU mode changes.
I don't plan to charge from the grid but such a lack of control is not ideal.

I think I have more clarity now. I went back and read the main manual.
It looks like it will only charge from grid if the battery is below the set soc, and will charge to the soc set in the battery % box. Very nice.

Screenshot_20240511-231907.png

So if I'm discharging and it gets to low soc, even if grid charge is selected it will not charge the battery, but in the next tou slot I can select grid charge, and a higher soc and it will charge to that soc, for example during hours when buying from the grid may be dirt cheap.

Email from Self2Solar says they have these in stock now, for what it’s worth
Oh damn! Nice. So now the question is do I want to wait and see what signature solar will sell it for or do I just want to go ahead and pull the trigger. Tough one

Last edited:
Had this been available earlier, I might have chosen it over the Amensolar N3H-X10-US. It will be interesting to compare experience of these units.

Seems to be a number of 10 KW class grid interactive inverters coming out these days.

Mike C.

Had this been available earlier, I might have chosen it over the Amensolar N3H-X10-US. It will be interesting to compare experience of these units.

Seems to be a number of 10 KW class grid interactive inverters coming out these days.

Mike C.
Imo grid interactive inverters all have good hardware. Where they separate themselves is the software and the reason I'm about the growatt is I like their software.

the reason I'm about the growatt is I like their software.
Do you know the same people who wrote the software for their previous products wrote it for this new model?

It remains to be seen if the software quality you expect is evident in this new model.

Mike C.

Do you know the same people who wrote the software for their previous products wrote it for this new model?

It remains to be seen if the software quality you expect is evident in this new model.

Mike C.
We'll have to see but it uses the same portal and the settings look very similar

It would be replacing the sunny islands. I love the sunny islands but they are not set and forget- I have to change settings daily.
Yes, that is a big part of the reason I’m using the MIN-US inverters with ARO batteries. Very stable hands off equipment unless you are adding something to system.

Yes, that is a big part of the reason I’m using the MIN-US inverters with ARO batteries. Very stable hands off equipment unless you are adding something to system.
Yeah. The problem with the sunny islands is if I'm connected to the grid, either exporting or charging the batteries, it will always pass the grid to the loads, and keep the battery fully charged

Pumping the brakes on my purchase for now. I noticed this is not available on solar assistant yet and I'm not going to be using this without solar assistant- period!

Updates every 5 minutes is a non starter for me.

Pumping the brakes on my purchase for now. I noticed this is not available on solar assistant yet and I'm not going to be using this without solar assistant- period!

Updates every 5 minutes is a non starter for me.

Really, where did you see that? It seems like it should be supported, just like all the other SPH line of inverters are

Looking forward to much more detailed info on this inverter.

No 200a grid passthrough on the backup loads vs 18kpv or sol-ark. Will it only pass through 10kW (41.6A)? If you parallel 3, I guess you can get 120A. Can you parallel more than 3?

What's the max AC coupling on the Gen input? I see recommended breaker of 80A and error code W27 is described as "generator power exceeds 11kW for more than 2 hours."

I really like my 4x Min11400. Such great value.

Really, where did you see that? It seems like it should be supported, just like all the other SPH line of inverters are

You are right it seems the sph series are supported but I don't know if this particular one will work. I'm not even clear on how one would connect solar assistant. Is it the Usb port? Or the upper computer port?

No 200a grid passthrough on the backup loads vs 18kpv or sol-ark. Will it only pass through 10kW (41.6A)? If you parallel 3, I guess you can get 120A. Can you parallel more than 3?

What's the max AC coupling on the Gen input? I see recommended breaker of 80A and error code W27 is described as "generator power exceeds 11kW for more than 2 hours."

I suspect the reason the price is so much lower than something like a Solark, is the lack of 200A pass thru. I personally plan on starting with 2 of these, maybe adding a 3rd down the road, after we see how it does. I have a total electric house, but plan on putting the HVAC not on the backup side of the inverter, at this point

4x? Wow that must be a large system.

Btw. Great questions. Would like to know the answer to these as well

Last edited:
Back