diy solar

diy solar

No power being used battery down to 50%

Yes it is most definetly featuring that all important blue. Figured twice I've not really like eco worthy charge controllers second time worse than the first. Hopefully all will be good. In regards to programming them I thought it was plug and play??? ?‍♂️
I think now about the rest of the project I'm only about £100 of supplies away from being able to test it out properly. Radio enclosure is just waiting the lobpinte reader and my 2400w amplifier and speaker set arrives today from Germany. Steal at £80 even if it has taken a week to arrive.
This one is the prototype model I'm sure it will be much cheaper and faster to make the next one.
Once I've done a few I'd love to make something bigger with enough room for 2 of those 310w panels and a more normal layout. Something between a teardrop and an airstream. But that's for another year. Next week or so I'm talking to a local guy I met on facebook that can cnc cut my panels. We going to look at ways to construct it just as solid without so much weight. I'd say I'm probably about 200kg over my target weight of 500kg ?‍♂️?

One electron in, one electron out. Just like hydraulics.
Hmm ... But for example, the neutral side, (return path), on for example an ac powered device, measures at a lower voltage than the feed to the device ... wouldn't this be the same with DC circuitry? Energy is being consumed to operate the device ...
Yes it is most definetly featuring that all important blue. Figured twice I've not really like eco worthy charge controllers second time worse than the first. Hopefully all will be good. In regards to programming them I thought it was plug and play??? ?‍♂️
I think now about the rest of the project I'm only about £100 of supplies away from being able to test it out properly. Radio enclosure is just waiting the lobpinte reader and my 2400w amplifier and speaker set arrives today from Germany. Steal at £80 even if it has taken a week to arrive.
This one is the prototype model I'm sure it will be much cheaper and faster to make the next one.
Once I've done a few I'd love to make something bigger with enough room for 2 of those 310w panels and a more normal layout. Something between a teardrop and an airstream. But that's for another year. Next week or so I'm talking to a local guy I met on facebook that can cnc cut my panels. We going to look at ways to construct it just as solid without so much weight. I'd say I'm probably about 200kg over my target weight of 500kg ?‍♂️?
*How did your battery voltage hold up under load, or do you have to wait for the new charge controller before applying the load?
*Different types of batteries have different charging profiles and charge controllers need to be configured for a particular type of battery for optimum performance. It looked like your charge controller was programmable via your cellphone and app..
*What is a lobpinte reader?
*Is your 2400 watt amplifier and RF amplifier or an audio amplifier?

So promise not to laugh but aside from the connector I mentioned (the negative terminal for the Pv) as pictured. I also realised I hadnt actually put the screw in for the positive terminal for the battery on the charge controller so that wasnt fully contacting ?‍♂️ so anyways the photo off the damaged terminal and my new victron controller is wired...

To answer a few questions I'll put another reply in few moments I get a few links and show you what I'm upto you can check it out

Lopbinte reader.... Lopbinte Vat1100 100V 100A Voltage and Current Meter Car Battery Monitoring 12V 24V 48V Battery Coulomb Counter Va Meter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S46B427/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TWWRDbP6A6QPP

Sub system wired to standard car dab bluetooth stereo......
AUNA 4.0 'Platin Line 400' Car Stereo System - Subwoofer, Amplifier, HiFi Set, 2400W, 1 x Amplifier, 4 x Speakers, 1 x Cables, Adjustable Low-Pass Filter, High Performance, Black/Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6X7X4T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dYWRDbA0Y4KSA

Just got ot installed today the new charge controller so can return old one. Just waiting on china post with my lopbinte reader and I'll be able view some really good live stats from inside the caravan. It goes in the gap left on this picture.....20191022_133754.jpg20191022_133700.jpg20191018_122114.jpg

Sitting in a van with 2400 watts of bass must be a nearly biblical event! How many watts hours are your calcium lead acid batteries?

This van is that small you dont have seats. The cupboard for the tv is above your feet when your inside lay on the mattress. Height inside is 4ft and the bedroom area has a floor length of 210cm and width of 155cm.
That's uk sized king size mattress, not sure if there slightly different sizes in other countries for the same size. Like buying clothes from different brands with same size labels can be hit and miss.

I wanted speakers and sub so it can be plugged via aux to tv for 4.1 surround, dont think in that size space there any point in a 5th speaker. Wasnt sure on sub power but this set was same price as some subs and it came with absolutely everything needed to wire it in, seemed logical. It does have control for bass and gain levels so I may have to dial it back a bit ?
The english instructions they only translated the titles not the text underneath though ?‍♂️ it looks straightforward enough but be nice to be able read anything important.

It doesnt explain the remote line very clearly. It has a positive and negative then in the middle a terminal marked remote. It says something about the ignition live so I'm assuming I split that wire again on the positive out on my switch and have it going to stereo and to the remote line? I'm guessing this tells it not to drain the battery by being always on?

I'm not sure on the watt hours of the battery didnt even consider that ? if it's what I'm thinking its 800? Battery is hankook xv110Screenshot_20191023-110727_Amazon Shopping.jpg

From my many car audio and RF transceiver installations of the distant past, the ignition sense wire was used when the main 12+ wire was connected, "hot all the time", either directly to the battery, (in the case of high current draw applications such as powering 2,400 watts of anything), or in lower current applications where the hot connection was connected to the vehicle fuse panel. Connecting the ignition sense wire and a separate hot 12+ wire not only allows for the device to turn on and off with the ignition key, but also keeps low current memory and displays alive.

I feel your pain, hyroglyphic instructions are the rule and not the exception when navigating the documentation, (if any), provided with the plethora of electronics proliferationg from the Pacific rim!

Ok, let's say you have a calcium lead acid battery listed at 800 amp hours, I believe that you can only get about 400 usable amp hours from a healthy, fully charged, lead acid based battery. If your audio amp creates 2,400 watts of audio, (I honestly do not know if it takes more than 2,400 watts from the 12 volt power supply to create 2,400 watts of audio), then using the power formula to calculate amps at 2,400 watts and12 volts, your amplifier will draw 200 amps per hour under full load. That's about two hours of classical opera. DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how realistic my calculations are so please Paul or anyone else chime in!

Last edited:
I'm assuming power would fluctuate with the volume. I hope it does, at least the battery is good enough to run it though. Battery seems to be nicely charged from the new charge controller now though so that's a win. My speaker shelf I made with 2 extra pieces to meet shelf roof and back curved wall where about 1.5cm short in height to allow for the trim of the speakers, just means a bit more work to get it right ??‍♂️

Back