diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

As I recall, the EVSE charge adapter that comes with the Leaf, which connects to a 50 amp outlet, draws 32 amps. That's for my 2019 SV Plus. The base model may be different.

I put in a 50 amp 220 outlet in my garage. I ran 6 awg wires from the breaker box to the outlet, through conduit. I wish I had done 4 awg.
I also have a 50 amp outlet in the garage that is wired through a breaker box to a EG4 6000ex inverter. I have plugged the Leaf into it, and the Leaf doesn’t like it shuts off charging in a second or two. I am thinking after reading posts that the modified sine wave coming out of the inverter is not compatible with the the Leaf’s charger. Is there a way to modify the sine wave to more resemble a grid supplied current ?

I also have a 50 amp outlet in the garage that is wired through a breaker box to a EG4 6000ex inverter. I have plugged the Leaf into it, and the Leaf doesn’t like it shuts off charging in a second or two. I am thinking after reading posts that the modified sine wave coming out of the inverter is not compatible with the the Leaf’s charger. Is there a way to modify the sine wave to more resemble a grid supplied current ?

I don't know if that is possible.

To stress test my system with a Victron Multiplus 12/3000 that is installed in my camper, I charged my Leaf for about three hours. This was on a 120vac circuit, not 240. The Leaf was happy with the power that the Multiplus was putting out.

I have an EG4 6500EX that charges 3 EVs simultaneously and have no problems. This is continuous charging, 10+ hours at a time. I use 120v level 1 EVSE at 12amps. When using an inverter most EVSEs will need to see a neutral-ground bond. Both the chargers from Tesla and Nissan need the N-G bond.

I have two 2022 Tesla model 3s and a 2012 Nissan Leaf.

Btw I’m selling the 2012 Nissan Leaf for $4000 if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
As I recall, the EVSE charge adapter that comes with the Leaf, which connects to a 50 amp outlet, draws 32 amps. That's for my 2019 SV Plus. The base model may be different.

I put in a 50 amp 220 outlet in my garage. I ran 6 awg wires from the breaker box to the outlet, through conduit. I wish I had done 4 awg.
You know, I ran #4 out to my charging pedestal. So I can bang 70A out there! I was thinking I may want to charge two cars at the same time. Then I put a 50A RV box, and an openEVSE, and I realized I probably never will go past 50A (40A continuous). You really don't need to charge at home over 7600W (32A), and very few vehicles have OBC's that are faster than that anyway. 9600W (40A) continuous is no problem with a #6 run, and now your talking 12KW ish of solar and 200AH of battery output to keep a smooth output. I think the Lightning and the Tesla's do 9600. I think the Rivian hits 48A/11520W (60A breaker), so that could actually use the fatter cable. In terms of time, you are not really buying much with the extra 8 amps. Your talking something less than 6-1/2 hours to get 60KWH at 9600, 5-1/2 hours for the same at 11520. Charging slows as you push closer to 100%. The battery back on the smaller vehicles is usually 80KWH or under so add a modicum of time if you gasped into your driveway in turtle mode.

I think if you turn it down a clik, it might be fine. EV charging is a heavy load but ramps up rapidly without a surge. If your car doesn't support lowering the charge rate, get cheapo EVSE that supports variable rates, you are probably going to want to be closer to 24A than 32A. Also some of the EVSE's can be problematic under less than ideal conditions. There are some 120/240 16(20)A fixed units that can be had for <$200 with the with a NEMA 6-20 plug gender bender AC adaptor for NEMA 5-15. They have worked well for me, at 240v you get 3840W which is generally enough for an overnight charge. You'd get 1/2 that just under 2000 on 120.

Did you put any kind of a meter on the outlet? I doubt your sine wave is the problem, I'd bet the EVSE is detecting something it thinks is a fault, but YMMV.

I don't know if that is possible.

To stress test my system with a Victron Multiplus 12/3000 that is installed in my camper, I charged my Leaf for about three hours. This was on a 120vac circuit, not 240. The Leaf was happy with the power that the Multiplus was putting out.
I will check out the Victron specs, compared to the EG4 , see what’s different, thank you

I have an EG4 6500EX that charges 3 EVs simultaneously and have no problems. This is continuous charging, 10+ hours at a time. I use 120v level 1 EVSE at 12amps. When using an inverter most EVSEs will need to see a neutral-ground bond. Both the chargers from Tesla and Nissan need the N-G bond.

I have two 2022 Tesla model 3s and a 2012 Nissan Leaf.

Btw I’m selling the 2012 Nissan Leaf for $4000 if anyone is interested.
Thank you for the advice ,N G bond I didn’t think about that.

Hopefully this stupid electric car phase will just go away, it is clear they are not wanted, and you can't make money selling them. It is no wonder so many GM dealers gave up the franchise when forced to sell this garbage.

Hopefully this stupid electric car phase will just go away, it is clear they are not wanted, and you can't make money selling them. It is no wonder so many GM dealers gave up the franchise when forced to sell this garbage.

Wow! I was not aware that GM had to buyout dealers due to EV's. The issues around that could be an entire thread on its own.

Wow! I was not aware that GM had to buyout dealers due to EV's. The issues around that could be an entire thread on its own.

Yup it is such a popular and profitable product they must FORCE people to carry it, and use tax payer money to make anyone even think twice about it.

It is a total without any shadow of a doubt horrid idea for 99% of the people out there. The 1% that it works for would be just fine in a golf cart.

Yup it is such a popular and profitable product they must FORCE people to carry it, and use tax payer money to make anyone even think twice about it.

It is a total without any shadow of a doubt horrid idea for 99% of the people out there. The 1% that it works for would be just fine in a golf cart.

I'd love an EV, and several would handle my commute just fine.

I really don't want to drive an iPad, and I flatly refuse to drive something that's monitoring my every move and can be shut down from afar, because I did something the folks with their hands on the kill-switch don't approve of.

If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it.

A record 1.2 million U.S. vehicle buyers chose to go electric last year, according to estimates from Kelley Blue Book, a Cox Automotive company. More specifically, 1,189,051 new electric vehicles (EVs) were put into service as the slow shift to an electrified future continued unabated. In 2023, the EV share of the total U.S. vehicle market was 7.6%, according to Kelley Blue Book estimates. That is up from 5.9% in 2022.

Source: https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/q4-2023-ev-sales/

GM also did stuff like buy nimh factories just to close them down and sue Toyota in the process
I have 2 GM trucks outside, and I can still comfortably say that I’ll clap when they finally bite off more than they can chew and close up shop
They are a horrible company imo and their EV platform isn’t representive of all ev

As far as selling to make money. This isn’t an end user problem. Cars are not a financial investment.
Ironically the USA is actively trying to keep BYD and others out of Mexico in fears even more cheap, quality ev will make their way north and shit on the big 3 idiocracy and poor infrastructure stateside.

Ironically the USA is actively trying to keep BYD and others out of Mexico in fears even more cheap, quality ev will make their way north and shit on the big 3 idiocracy and poor infrastructure stateside.

Me conspiracy theorizing again, but having a portion of our personal transport built by an enemy who could build in their own kill switches seems like a bad idea too. I'm aware that this extends to a huge portion of our infrastructure and communications.

I'd love an EV that was done right; I'm wearing my Edison Motors hoodie as I'm typing this.

Me conspiracy theorizing again, but having a portion of our personal transport built by an enemy who could build in their own kill switches seems like a bad idea too. I'm aware that this extends to a huge portion of our infrastructure and communications.

I'd love an EV that was done right; I'm wearing my Edison Motors hoodie as I'm typing this.
In the conspiracy notion, at this point I trust that big China collecting my data will have less negative impact than the beurocrats here. I’m with ya on the remote access

The 2018 and newer leaf is 40kwh or roughly 150 miles. The leaf Plus is 60kwh/215 miles.
I wouldn’t use it for road trips much, but when visiting family if I NEEDED to charge on the go, the localish chargers make that chademo prohibitive.
The 50kwh charge limit is a pain, but most of the EVs I shop have a similar threshold (older/simpler EVs).
Mainly looking for a daily driver for work and in town more than weekend and road trips. I drive 90 miles per day, 5 days a week and my most fuel efficient car gets 22mpg

A Leaf plus will exceed 50kw pretty easily. I typically see 73-75kw.

It is a total without any shadow of a doubt horrid idea for 99% of the people out there.
The facts tell a different story. An earlier post says it is approaching 8% of the market in the US and even more in some international markets. I think it is over 10% of new car sales in California with 447,000 sol,d in 2023.
I have been driving EVs since 2012 and have probably driven over 250,000 miles and saved tens of thousands of dollars not buying gasoline. My biggest expense has been tires and that has not been more costly per mile than my prior cars.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to change your mind. You are entitled to your own facts. I am clearly an EV Fanboy and I just want other readers who may read this thread to see the facts that are out there. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

The factory EVSE will draw 27 amps on a Leaf Plus although the onboard charger will accept high charge rates.

Back