diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

Tesla has had this offer to extend their charging network to other manufacturers for quite a while. The problem was the agreement came with a poison pill which would have made it very difficult to defend their patents if Tesla decided to steal them.

That's my understanding of it anyways.

Maybe they've smoothed out this issue.

I just want everything to use the Tesla connector and not those dang huge CHAdeMO or CCS connectors. The Tesla connector is simple and elegant.

no
he is a m8 and just a link to bosch unfixable junk as some one who can fix this stuff and not be left with a 10k paper waight ;)

tho if mods want to remove the link thats fine also

The content on this website is for educational purpose only. You expressly agree that the use of this website is done at your own risk. Information is subject to change/update at anytime. Electricity is DANGEROUS and can kill. Be smart and use common sense.
20230928_003517[1].jpg
????

Personally I am not for them in any way shape or form. I have seen first hand a cobalt mine in Congo and it was not pretty. And these cars are supporting that. Hard no. And that is only one reason it is a hard no for me.
And shoes made in VietNam, clothes made in Bangladesh, the children, blah, blah. I'd not bee too holy'er than thou. Maybe we should just shut down all these exploitive countries, blockade them, then, we can pay to feed, clothe, and educate them, turn them into Woke little idiots. With your money, not mine.

There is nasty stuff in the world, there is also good stuff, and it takes all kinds of stuff to make the world go round. Long ago I had a relative worked for Dupont in S. Korea. They had *children* working in their plant. The children got a stipend, food, shelter, and education in return for an 8 hour workday. There was a waiting list, *nobody* quit the gig, and it was hard work. It was worse here in the United States not that long ago. Sitting in your nice warm house with your nice white or even blue collar job complaing about conditions in Congo, may make you feel virtuous, but for many of the people working in that crap it's far better than the alternatives. When those people manage to get educated and outgrow horribly corrupt governments, and become more prosperous, these scenarios will lessen. This will not happen if you pull the rug out from what little prosperity they are currently able to eek out.

If you feel that strongly send them your paycheck, grow your own cotton, and raise your own sheep. Loom your own fabric, make your own clothes and shoes. Turn off your computer, and stop driving.

The only way to resolve the mining issue is with technology improvements. Technology will also resolve the need for excessive use of these so-called rare-earths, but these techs are still a few years out.

Tesla has had this offer to extend their charging network to other manufacturers for quite a while. The problem was the agreement came with a poison pill which would have made it very difficult to defend their patents if Tesla decided to steal them.

That's my understanding of it anyways.

Maybe they've smoothed out this issue.

Sort of, Tesla just opened it up to the public domain, and removed all restrictions on the use of all the surrounding tech. Which they should have done to start with, but I think they were waiting until they had most of the bugs worked out with the specs. AND had their build-out of their charging systems rolling in full gear. The 'poison pill' was more like the GNU copyleft, keeping someone from patenting small changes to the spec that may improve it. I mean supposing everybody had jumped on board from the beginning and implemented Tesla's spec, then figured out a better way to make something work, then patent that something, and sue everyone that used it what a ludicrous thought. Further by allowing time for their charging station hardware to mature/bake, it appears (at least from things I've seen in my travels in AZ./NM) Tesla is building out infrastructure like mad. I watched them break ground on new stuff in Dateland, and Gila Bend, Payson, Show Low, in fact along many of the major travel corridors there are new charging locations with more than just a handful of plugs. Frankly if they'd come up with something better than CCS, Tesla may have had a problem. Instead they designed a plug the size of a shoebox that was backward compatible with J1772, that just ignored all but the control pin.

It really does take time to get this right. Tesla is way ahead at the moment, but like everything else in technology, everyone else is finally starting to catch up a little bit. I recall seeing a study not too long ago that had Tesla charging stations with over 90% availability of the equipment. Nobody else was even remotely close. They are currently at a point to become the most dominant in the industry by an order of magnitude. This means we are going to see more consolidation from the other players. In particular NACS adoption is going to be somewhat costly, but the reality is the majority of the existing hardware is going to get replaced and/or retro-fitted anyway as the other equipment manufacturers figure it out. Some of the smaller ones have already been gobbled up.

The saddest part of this is the fact that all these charging platforms seem to have learned nothing from the oil and gas pump industry. I've only taken a few handfuls of EV trips, and in every case I've run across multiple charging stations with burnt LCD screens. In their zeal to make it look cool they somehow forgot that you can't have an LCD in direct sunlight, so no shroud, no recess, just slap it on the front. Orient the station so the screen faces the afternoon sun, no shading or cover around the stations, it's just ridiculous. Getting a direct credit card to work on any of the stations is a lesson in futility. Pot luck if you can get it to work. I can't speak to Tesla, but my understanding is they are much better, but require use of the Tesla app on a handheld or from your vehicle?

I order and pay for lunch at work using my cell phone.
Although they also have kiosks with displays, I almost never use them.

Who needs a working display at the "pump"?
(If they do this. But what I will NOT do is let them pull money directly from my bank account to save a few cents/gallon.)

A simple flap over the pump's display would fix it.
That's what I've done for my Sunny Boys.

And shoes made in VietNam, clothes made in Bangladesh, the children, blah, blah. I'd not bee too holy'er than thou. Maybe we should just shut down all these exploitive countries, blockade them, then, we can pay to feed, clothe, and educate them, turn them into Woke little idiots. With your money, not mine.

There is nasty stuff in the world, there is also good stuff, and it takes all kinds of stuff to make the world go round. Long ago I had a relative worked for Dupont in S. Korea. They had *children* working in their plant. The children got a stipend, food, shelter, and education in return for an 8 hour workday. There was a waiting list, *nobody* quit the gig, and it was hard work. It was worse here in the United States not that long ago. Sitting in your nice warm house with your nice white or even blue collar job complaing about conditions in Congo, may make you feel virtuous, but for many of the people working in that crap it's far better than the alternatives. When those people manage to get educated and outgrow horribly corrupt governments, and become more prosperous, these scenarios will lessen. This will not happen if you pull the rug out from what little prosperity they are currently able to eek out.

If you feel that strongly send them your paycheck, grow your own cotton, and raise your own sheep. Loom your own fabric, make your own clothes and shoes. Turn off your computer, and stop driving.

The only way to resolve the mining issue is with technology improvements. Technology will also resolve the need for excessive use of these so-called rare-earths, but these techs are still a few years out.
There is a very large difference, shoes in vietnam and clothes in bangladesh are not being sold as the cure to all the worlds ills. Shame you can't see that.

There is a very large difference, shoes in vietnam and clothes in bangladesh are not being sold as the cure to all the worlds ills. Shame you can't see that.
You mis-understand then. The statement was "I will not buy an electric car because of evil cobalt mines in the Congo", not, "I won't by an electric car because it is being sold as the cure to all the worlds ills". The latter statement I sort of grok but seems silly. The former is simply disingenuous . Almost all products people use including much of the content of a normal ICE vehicle has content that often has questionable origins.

There are a number of other darn good valid reasons not to buy an EV, as well as a number of darn good reasons you might want one. I have two because I like the technology, and I leverage PV to charge them. I would not recommend them without knowing what you are getting into, and they most definitely will not do much to make the world more 'green'. Some idiot was talking about electric military vehicles. Idiot is being mild. Yea, I know you just blew up the power plant, let me get a gas powered generator to charge my assault vehicle. I'll only be sitting out here in the open for a few hours.

I also think the government should NOT be involved in forcing this stupidity. Electric vehicles will become popular all by themselves as the technology improves, and the grid adapts to accommodate the additional strain. Cramming it down everyone's throat is asking for problems. Case in point is NACS adoption, and the gradual improvements in battery tech. People on this forum might know the difference between traditional LiON and LifePO4, but the average joker on the street does not. Further the average ICE vehicle really doesn't pollute very much. I was around in the late 60's when they started pressing for all the smog pumps and such. At the time the engineers kept saying, look, the answer is improving the efficiency of the engine and removing things ike lead from the fuel, not adding smog pumps. Fuel injection and it's improvements, along with stronger and lighter materials, better tires, etc gradually improved cars to where they are today. It's really quite stunning and todays cars don't have smog pumps.

There are a number of other darn good valid reasons not to buy an EV, as well as a number of darn good reasons you might want one. I have two because I like the technology, and I leverage PV to charge them. I would not recommend them without knowing what you are getting into, and they most definitely will not do much to make the world more 'green'.

I think a hybrid with about 5kWh to 20 kWh of battery would do a great deal to "green", if by green we mean minimize the fossil fuel use and and CO2 release. Of course, that is the exact opposite of greening the planet, which was far more green before the plants destroyed their environment and died for their sins to our industrial age benefit. Then they had to strike an uneasy truce with animals, which on one hand recycled their waste product (O2) into fertilizer (CO2) but on the other hand tended to eat them.

Some idiot was talking about electric military vehicles. Idiot is being mild.

Maybe in the right context. Porsche came up with a hybrid tank for Hitler. The idea was than you could do vehicle to vehicle power transfusions, run an extension cord to your buddy who was fording a stream by driving over the bottom.

At a recruiting session, BAE was talking about tanks. Many aspects to survival, starting with not being observed. Reportedly there was a presentation to government representatives, potential buyers. After showing slides, the presenter motioned behind the audience. They turned around and saw a tank which had crept up on them unnoticed.

Not to mention fuel economy. But all that still used petroleum fuel, just a hybrid and battery drive train.

What does fuel cost to deliver in a war zone like Afghanistan? $1000/gallon? Efficiency helps, and something you could produce locally would be useful. Drones can run on electricity (shorter range than fuel, unless it has solar panels.) Panels would give away location. Portable nuke plant would be useful. Thermal signature could give you away.

I also think the government should NOT be involved in forcing this stupidity.

Ya think?
Maybe there is an ulterior motive?

It's really quite stunning and todays cars don't have smog pumps.

Speak for yourself, my second newest is a '97 sable, and that has an electric smog pump. Not sure why - along with electronic fuel injection.

An earlier car of mine (Saab 99 LE) had Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection. That one, no O2 sensor, I can see where injecting air before the cat would help.

I order and pay for lunch at work using my cell phone.
Although they also have kiosks with displays, I almost never use them.

Who needs a working display at the "pump"?
(If they do this. But what I will NOT do is let them pull money directly from my bank account to save a few cents/gallon.)

A simple flap over the pump's display would fix it.
That's what I've done for my Sunny Boys.
I use the EA app. I had EVgo, and they screwed me over with monthly fees, and stations that never worked. Visual feedback is important. There is something to be said for being able to tap/swipe a card at the gas pump and filling up your car. Electric should be as seemless IMNSHO. I am not of a mind to put an app on my phone for: Blink, EvGo, EA, Chargepoint, ... Nor do I have the Starbucks, Taco Bell, Duncan Donuts, IHOP, McDonalds, Carls Jr, Home Depot, Target, Lowes apps on my phone. I did break down and put Lyft/Uber, only because A) There is no other option and B) It actually improves the safety and rider experience. I put the airline app on my phone, but only during he intervals I am traveling. And I STILL have too many fragging 'apps' on my phone.

Speak for yourself, my second newest is a '97 sable, and that has an electric smog pump. Not sure why - along with electronic fuel injection.

An earlier car of mine (Saab 99 LE) had Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection. That one, no O2 sensor, I can see where injecting air before the cat would help.
Spot on the top of the comment. I like the Hybrid idea, and we will probably see that. CO2 is not bad for the environment either. And it's not going to warm the planet appreciably. Nor are we in the once predicted ice age of scientific 'consensus'. Neither did we run out of food for our exploding population. Fortunately, once people figure out the earth did not catch on fire, there will be some other crisis that will doom the earth. Frankly the availablity fresh water is way more troubling to me than CO2. More CO2 means better plant growth to feed people, No fresh water means I can't grow the plants. Desalinization works, they've been doing it on Ocracoke for decades, but it's expensive, and impractical for watering crops.

On the smog pump, My 2005 RX-8 has one as well. The later ones are electric, and don't blow all the time from PTO. The pump only blows until the engine warms up, then it shuts off. It's just to burn off the unburned gas when the mixture is rich right after you start the car. Fuel injection has gotten so much better, it's irrelevant these days. A modern car starts easily with a computer controlling every millisecond of the burn process, and a handful of sensors relaying telemetry to a computer that adjusts everything to maximize efficiency, and minimize pollution. Even as late as 2010 cars could be hard to start. Todays engines you barely touch the key, and it's running, and running so quietly you can barely hear it. It really is amazing.

Taking into account the range of a consumer flying vehicle wouldn't a straight line be the shortest distance? (let's say 150 miles for discussion sake)
At what distance do you have to factor in the coriolis effect, if that's the correct term I'm thinking of?

I remember reading about Boring years ago, fascinating.

Easy solution - flying vehicles ? ... Shortest and most efficient path is a straight line.

Haha :)
They have been promising that to us since 1930s.

The sad truth is that even if they are invented, they are not going to allow it for the plebes. They are trying to take away private transportation in case you havent noticed.

Haha :)
They have been promising that to us since 1930s.

The sad truth is that even if they are invented, they are not going to allow it for the plebes. They are trying to take away private transportation in case you havent noticed.
I've noticed... Want an EV to charge at home, don't want the remote shutdown capabilities and all the other 'monitoring' software that comes with them.
They'd probably be to dangerous to flying insects and mammals anyway...

Back