diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

Agreed. Best commuter vehicle around.
Any thoughts as to why all other manufacturers were stubborn for so many years with the Ports? It seemed mightily obvious that Tesla had and would have the most robust charging network.
Nice to see the others finally jump on board but it’s so asinine! Like phone chargers hah

I make videos about off-grid solar. How would I not be into firearms? ?

I get lots of false assumptions about my life in the comment section of the videos. It's very strange how wrong everyone is about my life and priorities. I was born in Oklahoma and my entire family loves the constitution. What do I do that makes people think otherwise?
@Will Prowse

Will, I firmly believe in the amendments, especially the 2nd which guards all of the rest of them. I was not trying to disparage you in any fashion, I was just not expecting you to be a gun enthusiast. I was obviously wrong I could easily see you with a CC permit due to your income level and the various vehicles you have purchased, and the need to guard against bad actors, I just was not expecting a full grown pew pew enthusiast :ROFLMAO:

in so far as EV's i have been considering a nissan leaf for the last year or so, it is cheap enough here in Japan, that if i choose it and it cannot meet my expectations it would not be a great loss. I am just waiting for the range to get a little better before jumping on one. I want one that will take me from my house to my cabin guaranteed in the middle of winter. total distance one way is 80 miles but its a three hour drive generally speaking. regardless of what they promised many owners of the first generations of the leaf agree that it does not meet the range claims that nissan made. same goes for most of the mitsubishi offerings. i could charge for free at either end from my RE system grid tied at the main house and off grid at the cabin. so I am just in standby to standby mode.

@Will Prowse

Will, I firmly believe in the amendments, especially the 2nd which guards all of the rest of them. I was not trying to disparage you in any fashion, I was just not expecting you to be a gun enthusiast. I was obviously wrong I could easily see you with a CC permit due to your income level and the various vehicles you have purchased, and the need to guard against bad actors, I just was not expecting a full grown pew pew enthusiast :ROFLMAO:

I'm not surprised at all with all he's gone thru and am proud of how he has turned things around.

You're a true inspiration for others @Will Prowse !

I sometimes feel a bit odd being around here as one of the people who doesn't know a damn thing about Will's history other than the very few brief references he has made in YT videos in the past ~2 yrs. Which sounds interesting but also sounds like it might trigger my general negativity of the world being an unfair place where a lot of bad shit happens, and i've got enough of my own life to try to rationalize the purpose of it all, that i don't go digging. I'm just happy he's been around doing what he does in the time i've been around to notice, and i wish him well.

The overlap between solar energy and independence/freedom is interesting as it was definitely a factor for me (local entities pissed me off enough to just start ignoring the law in several respects including power/solar, is the TLDR) but it doesn't really cross over to guns for me personally. Im a native Texan, South Texas at that.. I've lived my entire life here in a context of the (often violent/messy) meshing of two nations' people, and under a politics that grants too much freedom in many respects and too little in many others.. even had a couple of guns pointed at me on various occasions (but not fired) yet also been very near bullets landing that were never aimed at me, standing in my own yard, just due to carelessness of the people holding those weapons. Im pro-2nd amendment, but find myself disagreeing with the underlying motives and viewpoints of many if not most others who are pro 2nd amendment. I do think that the main reason people are EVER safe from each other is based on the implied threat of violence and that has the possibility to be hugely healthy, but i also think that a lot of gun owners engage in various choices/activities that accrue an accumulating cost on society/civic life in search of a very theoretical benefit. In general i think open carry is a level of brinksmanship that should not be one's default state and damages others' feeling of safety in a 'death by a thousand cuts' way. But im not against the right to do so. I just think we all have impacts on each others' experience of the world that we can't fully get our heads around, and that we are VERY often well-meaning but short-sighted, and that open carry if enacted broadly enough among the populace would be a net negative to society. There, a bunch of odd words from a solar powered Texan who is technically a gun owner and pro-2a but probably not the guy you want to chat up about it (maybe?!). See this paragraph is the same reason i don't go digging into other people's stuff. Because i know myself too well to be curious of others!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The great thing is you don't have to choose. Get the fun EV that accelerates like a Lamborghini and use it for a commuter. Every day is a joy.
Yes the econobox EV is a bit overrated IMO.

I need to drive one and see if I'd actually enjoy it. Several other things I'm not keen on about Tesla, but if it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience, I might deal with it for that.

I need to drive one and see if I'd actually enjoy it. Several other things I'm not keen on about Tesla, but if it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience, I might deal with it for that.

It is an amazing car, I have very little doubt you will not be impressed.

That said look into the service network in your AO. That can make a big difference. Also as I understand things you can't go to the corner mechanic and get him to change your brake pads, or do it yourself for that matter. Tesla parts are held very close to their chest, they really make it difficult to get stuff like that so you go to them for all service.

Personally I am not for them in any way shape or form. I have seen first hand a cobalt mine in Congo and it was not pretty. And these cars are supporting that. Hard no. And that is only one reason it is a hard no for me.

It is an amazing car, I have very little doubt you will not be impressed.

That said look into the service network in your AO. That can make a big difference. Also as I understand things you can't go to the corner mechanic and get him to change your brake pads, or do it yourself for that matter. Tesla parts are held very close to their chest, they really make it difficult to get stuff like that so you go to them for all service.

Personally I am not for them in any way shape or form. I have seen first hand a cobalt mine in Congo and it was not pretty. And these cars are supporting that. Hard no. And that is only one reason it is a hard no for me.

Brake pads? Oh, yeah, I think I have those...should be good for another 80,000 miles though :) (Woohoo regen braking!) But yeah, those should be easy enough to get, they're not some super secret brake pad, they're off-the-shelf parts. Now if you get into the electronics may be harder to get but it's not as closed as you make out.

Just schedule a test drive, it's not like they charge for it. Although that was a bit of expensive trip for us...I took the family to test drive the Bolt when it came out to see how it'd work for us...was pretty tight in back with 3 kids....so I asked the wife if we could stop by Tesla and test drive a car....2 hours later she was sold and told me I had to get one...

I looked at the BMW i4 M50. I liked that it looks like a conventional car (Same body as gas engine one, it does not have an "ev look" which for me is a plus).

On paper it seems nice and is fast too. Took it for a test drive. Definitely a wow, especially acceleration.

Then i did a quick search BMW i4 battery issues... immediately many links came up outlining numerous battery issues for a model that is less than a year old. For me thermal runaway is a huge issue, until that problem is solved, i will stay away from this tech.

Ended up getting a gasoline M440.

I looked at the BMW i4 M50. I liked that it looks like a conventional car (Same body as gas engine one, it does not have an "ev look" which for me is a plus).

On paper it seems nice and is fast too. Took it for a test drive. Definitely a wow, especially acceleration.

Then i did a quick search BMW i4 battery issues... immediately many links came up outlining numerous battery issues for a model that is less than a year old. For me thermal runaway is a huge issue, until that problem is solved, i will stay away from this tech.

Ended up getting a gasoline M440.

.... https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ehicles-over-engine-fire-concerns-2022-03-09/

Just schedule a test drive, it's not like they charge for it. Although that was a bit of expensive trip for us...I took the family to test drive the Bolt when it came out to see how it'd work for us...was pretty tight in back with 3 kids....so I asked the wife if we could stop by Tesla and test drive a car....2 hours later she was sold and told me I had to get one...
That's the obvious answer.

I'm more concerned about the UI than the driving experience, we might not even get out of the parking lot before I say nope. I'm a grumpy old man in a young(ish) body. I hate the acre size touch screen, I don't want built in navigation, I don't want any connectivity at all. Windshield wipers should be a tactile switch that doesn't require taking eyes off the road to activate, not a touch screen. That kind of thing.

I'm more concerned about the UI than the driving experience, we might not even get out of the parking lot before I say nope. I'm a grumpy old man in a young(ish) body. I hate the acre size touch screen, I don't want built in navigation, I don't want any connectivity at all. Windshield wipers should be a tactile switch that doesn't require taking eyes off the road to activate, not a touch screen. That kind of thing.
I also was not excited about driving an I-pad. I went with the Jaguar instead for a more traditional driving experience. Plenty of other choices with more coming.

Although many features of the Tesla such as the wipers I believe to be available to control with voice command to avoid even taking a single finger off the wheel to start or stop.

I don't want voice commands either.

I'd like the modern battery and drivetrain, in a vehicle that's otherwise out of the 90's or 00's. That was peak automotive ergonomics and aesthetics for me, and after that it just fell off a cliff. Just the right amount of tech help, without being too overbearing.

The first priority of technology should be to stay out of the way.

As I said, grumpy old man.

Brake pads? Oh, yeah, I think I have those...should be good for another 80,000 miles though :) (Woohoo regen braking!) But yeah, those should be easy enough to get, they're not some super secret brake pad, they're off-the-shelf parts. Now if you get into the electronics may be harder to get but it's not as closed as you make out.

I think you missed my point. Lets just say I am very big on right to repair.

I know it does no good to talk to folk that can see no wrong with that machine. Blind to every short coming.

Just got a new little car. It has features that I didn't know it had.

1) Auto wipers. They turn on when rain is sensed and they are accurate. They change speed on their own as well.

2) Auto headlights with auto dimming.

3) Active cruise control i.e. the car controls its following distance.

4) lane keep assist and auto brake. I don't love these but they are passive enough that I can tolerate their presence.

That's pretty much it.

The active radar cruise control and auto-dimming headlamps are my favorite.

Any thoughts as to why all other manufacturers were stubborn for so many years with the Ports? It seemed mightily obvious that Tesla had and would have the most robust charging network.
Nice to see the others finally jump on board but it’s so asinine! Like phone chargers hah

Tesla has had this offer to extend their charging network to other manufacturers for quite a while. The problem was the agreement came with a poison pill which would have made it very difficult to defend their patents if Tesla decided to steal them.

That's my understanding of it anyways.

Maybe they've smoothed out this issue.

Back