diy solar

diy solar

Option to bypass inverter - Transfer switch?

thats not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

edit: sounds like something I said before my first divorce was finalized.
I like these units because if I ever have to bypass the inverter and put things on utilities it's very easy. There is also times when I'd rather have more or less things on solar, depending on my battery SOC, inclement weather, etc. I like the ability to control each circuit.

I like these units because if I ever have to bypass the inverter and put things on utilities it's very easy. There is also times when I'd rather have more or less things on solar, depending on my battery SOC, inclement weather, etc. I like the ability to control each circuit.
I fully appreciate that setup, trust me, i was joking about something I said during my divorce, that proved to be very wrong when all was said and done. :cry:

A question, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJ8W97MV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details which looks very similar to yours... Diagram indicated to connect neutral from the transfer switch circuit into the grid panel neutral. But some of my arc breakers are getting activated. How did you handled that neutral? or did you experienced any issue like the one I mentioned?

The Reliance transfer switch only switches L, or L1/L2 for 240V loads.
It leaves N connected in the original panel.

See if you can repurpose a 2-pole transfer switch in the Reliance for L/N of the AFCI and/or GFCI breakers.

A question, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJ8W97MV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details which looks very similar to yours... Diagram indicated to connect neutral from the transfer switch circuit into the grid panel neutral. But some of my arc breakers are getting activated. How did you handled that neutral? or did you experienced any issue like the one I mentioned?
The Reliance transfer switch only switches L, or L1/L2 for 240V loads.
It leaves N connected in the original panel.

See if you can repurpose a 2-pole transfer switch in the Reliance for L/N of the AFCI and/or GFCI breakers.
Yes hedges is right.

I was lucky I got away with sharing my neutral across all my panels and MTS’s without it bothering any of my GFI breakers on my main. I’ve seen some GFI breakers be more sensitive to this in other buildings I’ve worked in, last one was a bad neutral ground bond on a bad circuit causing the trip, we could never find it on the run so settled with gfci outlets at the ends of the run. Not elegant but we moved on

Last edited:
Back