diy solar

diy solar

Orion 24/12 70A Issues

gr8pix

Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California, Mexico
I managed to get my system up and running yesterday & the 2 Orion 24/12 70A's are not outputting 12v. I'm pretty sure I have everything wired correctly, Lynx is outputting 28.36V and the Orion is outputting 21.28V. please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Unplug the cables from Orion output and what's the reading directly from there? There's a screw you turn to adjust it but it should output 16-17v max. Do the other and set the output.

Lynx what? Most use a distribution, power in, shunt. Idk of other lynx device

Unplug the cables from Orion output and what's the reading directly from there? There's a screw you turn to adjust it but it should output 16-17v max. Do the other and set the output.

Lynx what? Most use a distribution, power in, shunt. Idk of other lynx device
The Orion is outputting 20.33V right now directly from the output. It's coming out of a Lynx distributor.

Turn the screw down by the output + terminal and see if you can get it down. It's also possible it's bad I had a couple bad ones, and broke a couple.

The jumper wire is an on/off so if you pull it out you will get 0 output. Try it. If not then definitely fried. If you wired it wrong and output at 24v it'll fry them... Same if you touch the 2 + terminals you'll release the magic smoke. Done it

Turn the screw down by the output + terminal and see if you can get it down. It's also possible it's bad I had a couple bad ones, and broke a couple.

The jumper wire is an on/off so if you pull it out you will get 0 output. Try it. If not then definitely fried. If you wired it wrong and output at 24v it'll fry them... Same if you touch the 2 + terminals you'll release the magic smoke. Done it
I wired it correctly for sure, and also precharged the Multiplus capacitor before turning the batteries on, I'll try the screw but I think both units may be bad.

I wired it correctly for sure, and also precharged the Multiplus capacitor before turning the batteries on, I'll try the screw but I think both units may be bad.

Unplug the output + and check voltage on the lug then disconnect the relay jumper and see if it's 0. It should take a couple minutes to drop but you can see the voltmeter dropping voltage when off as the capicatiors drain

Unplug the output + and check voltage on the lug then disconnect the relay jumper and see if it's 0. It should take a couple minutes to drop but you can see the voltmeter dropping voltage when off as the capicatiors drain
They're toast, both of them. I unplugged the jumper and there is no difference, the power still passes through at around 20V.

I always plug in one item at a time, test separately then move to next item.

Luckily Amazon has these and easy to return and order new ones

Order new ones off Amazon and the return the bad ones. Invertersrus sells them on amazon. You probably got my bad ones 😂
I had a real tough time trying to get Inverters R US to replace them, the tech support guy wanted pictures of the install and insisted I wired them wrong. I finally ended up going through Amazon and in two minutes they sent me a return code and I bought 2 more to replace them as well as an extra in case I need more amps to start my generator. I'm going to bench test them individually to make sure they all work before installing and I'll report back.

I had a real tough time trying to get Inverters R US to replace them, the tech support guy wanted pictures of the install and insisted I wired them wrong. I finally ended up going through Amazon and in two minutes they sent me a return code and I bought 2 more to replace them as well as an extra in case I need more amps to start my generator. I'm going to bench test them individually to make sure they all work before installing and I'll report back.
Yupp anything I don't want support for I'll buy off Amazon and can return if I don't need or broke. Expensive quality items I'll buy from a good dealer like currentconnected.com

Yupp anything I don't want support for I'll buy off Amazon and can return if I don't need or broke. Expensive quality items I'll buy from a good dealer like currentconnected.com
An update, Amazon processed the return for the two defective ones and I ordered 2 more from another seller which were a slight variation from the other ones. They are identical with the exception of the binding posts which are shorter and have bakelite knobs to tighten, which I replaced with 1/4 in. nuts. Part number ORI241270030 and the originals were ORI241270020. The good news is they both tested 13.3V out of the box and I adjusted to 14.25 and 2 of them in parallel run my whole 12V system including my slideouts and also start the Onan 7000W generator. I ended up ordering another one to be safe in case one goes south and installed all 3 in parallel. The system is up and running like a swiss watch!IMG20240310151505~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240313102043~2.jpg
    IMG20240313102043~2.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 7
WOW thats a clean install!!! Wanna trip it across the country and help me with mine?? never have the time to spend organizing and now i'm thinking about flipping these all upside down and mounting on the ceiling so I can store a packout underneath here with various tools. I did swap out that TR-Smart with a 2nd 24/12 70a and got the same new connector one. I like the older one, just wish the terminals weren't so close and the little screw was easier to get to.

20240105_091922.jpg20240105_091925.jpg

Back