diy solar

diy solar

PoCo verbage.....

I don't. The words are there and though his CoOp may not enforce them it always leaves open the possibility that they can. Never minimize a Contract that you agree to. It can end up biting you in the butt.

Certainly he can use the CoOp power during his construction phase of everything and most likely after he gets his PV up and working. Just like you can exceed the speed limit with impunity until you pass a cop doing enforcement.
How will they enforce it? Sue him? Arrest him? pull the meter? Or something else?

You can't infer such an ironclad interpretation of one line in a contract without reading the entire contract.
Perhaps not but I would read the agreement carefully and if that sentence is not modified elsewhere I would take it as it reads. People all too often agree to things and do not understand what they are agreeing to or think it won't ever apply (that would be mean) to them.

How will they enforce it? Sue him? Arrest him? pull the meter? Or something else?
I would guess they demand he stop using another source of electricity and shut off his meter if he failed to comply. It would be within their right to do so.

Using the bolded sentence in OP, a search reveals that this sentence is in lots of other co-op agreements. That, to me, makes it feel more like a protection for the co-op, as in, we provided service to your property at great expense to ourselves (and you through the setup fees), so don't go bringing in any other service, and leave our infrastructure dangling with no further payments.

Seems reasonable (from an already unreasonable overlordship basis) ... but, probably not much can be done about it. I have high doubts that you can pull the meter, or otherwise cancel service. Once the original property owner checked in, future property owners probably can't check out ... the contracts of the co-op, and the state PUC above it, are extensive and maddening in many ways, and few read all the interconnected agreements.

I agree with others that a grid connection has uses (backup/reserve power), especially as previous owner paid all the startup fees. The startup fees are what blocked me from getting a grid conn to our property.

Hold this card in reserve and pay the minimal monthly fee to maintain the connection, now that its been dealt to you ...

I would guess they demand he stop using another source of electricity and shut off his meter if he failed to comply. It would be within their right to do so.
Then let them do it. Op should not voluntarily ask to have a $5/month meter removed when he doesn't Even know for sure whether or not solar is allowed.

If they have a problem with solar they can come and remove the meter later, it they may never say anything about it and op keeps his very valuable meter connection

Interesting thoughts guys thank you.
I had a feeling this utility was not the only one using the phrase. I've been bitten by corporate contracts in the past and don't take their wording lightly. It seems a good lead in to keeping people locked into their system to me.
Truth be told the previous owner paid to have power pulled about 75' off the road. We own the property on both sides. only about 1 1/4 acre on the side with power.
In talking with the wife I think we are going to keep the meter and build a garage/ shop there. That will keep us fully tooled and efficiently working for now. Once the infrastructure is all built I want to have them shut off. The house will be down the hill across the road near a beautiful creek that flows thru. I'm thinking a combo of solar and hydro someday.

Using the bolded sentence in OP, a search reveals that this sentence is in lots of other co-op agreements. That, to me, makes it feel more like a protection for the co-op, as in, we provided service to your property at great expense to ourselves (and you through the setup fees), so don't go bringing in any other service, and leave our infrastructure dangling with no further payments.

Seems reasonable (from an already unreasonable overlordship basis) ... but, probably not much can be done about it. I have high doubts that you can pull the meter, or otherwise cancel service. Once the original property owner checked in, future property owners probably can't check out ... the contracts of the co-op, and the state PUC above it, are extensive and maddening in many ways, and few read all the interconnected agreements.

I agree with others that a grid connection has uses (backup/reserve power), especially as previous owner paid all the startup fees. The startup fees are what blocked me from getting a grid conn to our property.

Hold this card in reserve and pay the minimal monthly fee to maintain the connection, now that its been dealt to you ...
If I can't have the meter pulled, they can shut it off and wait a looooooong time for their payment.......

Could it be that the contents on the CoOp website and various regulations be from a time when solar was not a thing at all?

Being that it is not California, solar power might be a good possibility not so much in the CoOp’s eyes, but with the governing bodies?

Could it be that the contents on the CoOp website and various regulations be from a time when solar was not a thing at all?

Being that it is not California, solar power might be a good possibility not so much in the CoOp’s eyes, but with the governing bodies?
That is a possibility. Maybe they just have not had enough solar installs to effect them in the area.

They are in Georgia, and I have researched Tennessee laws They support about anything you want off grid except septic, that must be permitted and inspected. Nothing else tho.

Back