diy solar

diy solar

PowerPro Winter capabilities in unheated location

Rumast21

Can anyone share their experience of using their PowerPro during winter in a location that is not heated? I'm considering installing one into a shed, but I'm in WI where temps do go below 0 for a week or two on occasion.

I understand the battery can heat itself but there are not many real world discussions of using it that way.

Thanks.

You may have to wait for next winter.
I don't know if anyone in a real cold climate has installed one outside yet.

Don't see any reason why you couldn't enclose it in 4" of foam insulation.
(except possibly overheating in warm weather. Thermostatic pop-open vent?)

Heater will have documented wattage. Doubt they quote insulation value. But add-on insulation you can calculate.

The intro of this video goes over how the heater works for the WallMount battery.

The intro of this video goes over how the heater works for the WallMount battery.

The video mentions heating but then just goes into updating firmware.

Don't see any reason why you couldn't enclose it in 4" of foam insulation.
(except possibly overheating in warm weather. Thermostatic pop-open vent?)

Heater will have documented wattage. Doubt they quote insulation value. But add-on insulation you can calculate.
Yes, I believe it's 223W. I'm just debating whether I keep the battery and inverter in my basement or out in my shed. The insulation cabinet would be the first thing I'd add for cold.

Looking at the spec sheet, I see the temperature point for when the heater turns on and when it turns off...
1711162688012.png
But, to me, it is unclear how far down the heater extends the operational range. I am sure it will do fine in my locale where the coldest average monthly temp is 27F, but @Rumast21 is in a sightly more extreme environment than I. Does anyone have a read on the extend operational range the heater provides?

Source: https://eg4electronics.com/backend/...-14.3kWh-PowerPro-WallMount-AW-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Back