diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel help- Different size panels

idlehandscanada

Hi everyone,just joined the forum and am looking forward to contributing where I can. I am a complete newbie so may have to leech a bit before I can give back. I am in Canada and I am converting a 2014 sprinter for my family and just making it up as I go. Thanks in advance for all the wisdom of this group! I have recently bought two 100watt and two 175 watt Renogy solar panels on some Boxing day deals (I should probably plan first I know). I am looking for ideas on how to wire them to minimize loss with the different panel sizes. I have done a few calculations based on what I think might be optimal but wanted to see if I have done this right as I am learning it all as I go. Since my writing is chicken scratch the numbers on the 100watt panels are Short circuit current 5.21A, VOC 24.3, 175watt SCC 10.31A, COV 21.6V. I am thinking I can pull an output current of 10.31A and Voltage 45.9V based on my wiring diagram. I have a victron smart MPPT 100/50. I have posted this on a facebook group as well and it seemed the only recommendations were to just buy more charge controllers, I just wanted to see if that is the only way to go. And if I am completely out to lunch, go gently:)

Attachments

• 20231228_213238.jpg
    20231228_213238.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8
I recommend seperate SCCs for each set of panels.

In my signature block there’s a link to mixing and matching panels with math.

Without doing the math your diagram may work.

I have a mixture of 175 watt and 100 watt panels. I keep these on seperate charge controllers.

Back