diy solar

diy solar

Sollega Ballast Ground Mounts (Iron Ridge Supplier)

Ballasted is hard to do for much of an angle.
Due to wind uplifting.
Powerfield is at 25 degrees.

That’s the ones I went with..

Have you not seen the Powerfield Energy ballasted ground mounts?

That’s what I use. Easy setup even for 1 person.

If you want to demo some I know the COO.

Problem I have with those, is they cost more than my panels... :p

Problem I have with those, is they cost more than my panels... :p
That’s from NAZ yes and I told the COO that.

The problem is their plant is In Minnesota and they are relying on the distributors for shipping volume discounts.

DigiKey sells them for $65 I think.

I didn’t ask him what his cost was but I can.

Long story short they are trying to find a way to get these to market cheaper..

The other day was 45+ mph winds sustained for over 4 hours. Gusts over 50 mph.

If I installed a ballast mount no matter the angle, I would most likely have seen it flying by my windows at some point. :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea how some of you get away with a ballast mount. I doubt my insurance would even consider insuring one here. I'll stick with my cheap mounts on the expansion. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sinclair-or-mt-solar.76590/ Ordered 3 poles from a local welding shop I buy material from at around $500 each.
No way, @Zwy. Your PowerRacks would have just giggled at that breeze. As @sunshine_eggo said, PowerRack is wind tunnel tested to 120mph. We also field tested at NREL in CO and saw 85mph winds that wrecked a tracker system next door.

No way, @Zwy. Your PowerRacks would have just giggled at that breeze. As @sunshine_eggo said, PowerRack is wind tunnel tested to 120mph. We also field tested at NREL in CO and saw 85mph winds that wrecked a tracker system next door.

And the snow would just encapsulate the PowerRacks until spring....

Really curious if they were tested in the wind tunnel in all directions. I'd like to see a video of them holding up to 120mph winds from the side or rear (high side).

They seem like a great solution for some. I really like they can take 41.3" wide panels and I love they are made in the USA.

Really curious if they were tested in the wind tunnel in all directions. I'd like to see a video of them holding up to 120mph winds from the side or rear (high side).

They seem like a great solution for some. I really like they can take 41.3" wide panels and I love they are made in the USA.
Yeah I love mine - great solution for my backyard array here in Arizona. Used them to mount all my 370 watt NE panels. I just put several 50 pound sand bags inside each. Even during high wind monsoon storms they haven’t budged at all.

I only wish they supported panels that were a bit wider. Those 370 watt panels are about as larges as they’ll take.

I don’t know if their wind tunnel tests included from the rear - maybe it did - but keep in mind that the buckets themselves leave only about half of the back of the panels exposed to wind pressure, so I’m sure that helps.

Yeah I love mine - great solution for my backyard array here in Arizona. Used them to mount all my 370 watt NE panels. I just put several 50 pound sand bags inside each. Even during high wind monsoon storms they haven’t budged at all.

I only wish they supported panels that were a bit wider. Those 370 watt panels are about as larges as they’ll take.
I have the Q cell 480 watt panels in mine..

Which ones you want to fit in there?

I have the Q cell 480 watt panels in mine..

Which ones you want to fit in there?
I had trouble finding hardly any high wattage panels that weren’t at least a bit wider than the powerfield would accept. I don’t recall now the specific options I looked at before settling on the 370 watt NE Solar panels. Good to know the 480 watt Q cells are an option 😎

50 mph wind in winter would leave this covered in 10 feet of snow. :ROFLMAO:

There is a reason the county and state own large snow blowers.

50 mph wind in winter would leave this covered in 10 feet of snow. :ROFLMAO:

There is a reason the county and state own large snow blowers.
Snow would be a pain but wind is no problem.

Hasn’t snowed here in few years and even then it’s a few inches that melts off next day.

Powerfield is at 25 degrees.

That’s the ones I went with..

Do you know by chance if these particular ones have the “most” angle?

Do you know by chance if these particular ones have the “most” angle?
Most angle of all ballasted ground mounts?

I do not know.

Might be adjustable ballasted ground mounts out there.

My optimal angle here is 30 but 25 works fine for me.

Back