diy solar

diy solar

What brands of BMS work with Solark in Closed Loop Communication

jasonojordan

Hello all new to this forum. Little back information on my system here before we dive into my question

Inverter: Solark 12kw
Panels: 20x 410w JKM410M-72HL-V
Battery: 100ah 48v Tess Electric
System: Grid Tied with garage panel acting as a critical loads panel

With that out of the way my issue is with my 100ah Tess Electric Lifepo4 48v battery. I feel like it has never really been setup right from the get go and have not had good luck working with the seller of the battery to get it working the way I want it to. I was under the illusion when I purchased it that it would work in the closed loop communication with the Solark. So far this has not been the case.

I am looking to find out if there is a list of known BMS out there that do work in the closed loop communication system with Solark so that I could potentially purchase and install one on my current battery in replacement of the current BMS.

Bonus points if anyone can help me get my current BMS communicating with the Solark. Right now it is working off a voltage only basis and have had issues with running the battery down to low and the BMS on the battery kicking in and creating havoc. I think that issue may be rectified with some new values from the battery seller but it is too early to tell.

Anyways this post has gotten long enough. Thanks in advanced and see you around!

Jason

*EDIT* See attached PDF I created with the pinouts that worked for me to get this brand of battery working with the solark in closed loop. Have some things to verify but by all accounts appears to be working correctly. See page4 with where things started to get successful.

Attachments

• Solark and Battery Cable Pinout.pdf
    229.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The inverter manual says it supports 00: CANBus Battery mode

My Hardware Interface works with JK-BMS and JBD/Overkill(still in Beta testing) with CAN bus Inverters.
I would recommend the JK-BMS as it's what I use.

More info https://diysolarforum.com/threads/j...support-goodwe-and-pylontech-batteries.48963/

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to be able to get connected with the bms directly to learn more. The battery seller provided me the software to connect to the battery's bms. He also told me what to set the canbus to that "should" allow it to work with closed loop communication with the solark. If it does not work then I will explore more of what I learn from this tread and purchase a different bms if need be that will communicate close loop with the solark.

EDIT: If I can get connected to the BMS I was told to change my MODBUS type to Pylontec and that should fix my issue. As it sits currently whatever type is selected will not communicate since when I follow the procedure I get no communication from the battery to the solark so it faults for BMS communication.

Right now it is working off a voltage only basis and have had issues with running the battery down to low and the BMS on the battery kicking in and creating havoc. I think that issue may be rectified with some new values from the battery seller but it is too early to tell.
What are the voltage settings on the Sol-Ark?
At what voltage does the BMS cause problems?
Have you been able to establish communications with the Battery through the software?
If so, what are the settings on the battery?

I have an EndurEnergy battery with my sol-ark 15k. It has closed loop. With closed loop, it is annoying that it bulk charges at 55v, and when the battery hits 54.5v, it drops to 54v with the batteries showing in the 53.xx range. I have switched to open loop and set the parameters myself, but it is really sensitive to over voltage while charging. Really slow charging with closed loop helps (0.05c). With closed loop charging above .20c, it doesn't seem to fully charge.

What are the voltage settings on the Sol-Ark?
At what voltage does the BMS cause problems?
Have you been able to establish communications with the Battery through the software?
If so, what are the settings on the battery?

I have an EndurEnergy battery with my sol-ark 15k. It has closed loop. With closed loop, it is annoying that it bulk charges at 55v, and when the battery hits 54.5v, it drops to 54v with the batteries showing in the 53.xx range. I have switched to open loop and set the parameters myself, but it is really sensitive to over voltage while charging. Really slow charging with closed loop helps (0.05c). With closed loop charging above .20c, it doesn't seem to fully charge.

Working still to establish communication with the BMS through the software I was provided. I started this journey last summer. I was able to connect to it with RS232 last summer. I did not log the information as I was on a mission to change the CANBUS protocol and found out that using RS232 that my BMS would only let me read not write values.

The battery seller wanted $40 for a cable and that pissed me off because most reputable battery companies include the bms cable or you can get one for under $10 for it. SO out of that spite I have been trying to get an adapter and pinout to work with the battery BMS. I have a different adapter on its way currently and should have it today to continue that adventure.

See the attached for current battery values. All values are what the battery seller provided me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-08 062926.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-08 062926.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-06-08 062940.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-08 062940.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 11
See the attached for current battery values. All values are what the battery seller provided me.
50a grid charging is too high for a 100ah battery. I would grid charge at 5a. It may take 20 hours, but it will fully charge.
I would grid start around 51.20 to protect the batteries from going too low. It should be higher than your battery shutdown.

If you have net metering, I would set max charge amps at 20 (.20c).

I would do:
Absorption 58v
Float and Equalization 54.4v

Float and Equalization should be below Absorption. Don't know why you have that reversed.

Allow the batteries to charge to 100% at least once a week. Need that to keep them top balanced.

I am looking to find out if there is a list of known BMS out there that do work in the closed loop communication system with Solark so that I could potentially purchase and install one on my current battery in replacement of the current BMS.

Easier said than done with a pre-made battery. Before you buy a BMS, open up the battery to see how easy it may or may not be.

Easier said than done with a pre-made battery. Before you buy a BMS, open up the battery to see how easy it may or may not be.

I have done it on a number of other pre-made batteries so I am aware it can be a pain depending on how it was constructed. Thanks for the warning though!

Also thanks for the suggestions on the voltages I will adjust accordingly. The battery does not run very often it is just currently used as emergency backup power. I do not grid shave or do TOU since with my utility I get compensated 1-1 on power generated/sold.

The battery does not run very often it is just currently used as emergency backup power.

After you top balance the battery, draw it down to 80%. Once every few months, or after a few cycles if you have frequent "emergencies", charge it back up to 100% and draw it back down to 80%. Don't want to keep it at 100% for an extended period of time without using it.

After you top balance the battery, draw it down to 80%. Once every few months, or after a few cycles if you have frequent "emergencies", charge it back up to 100% and draw it back down to 80%. Don't want to keep it at 100% for an extended period of time without using it.

Correct. Nice part about my setup is I can just shut off the grid breaker on the solark one night a week and let the freezer in my garage and the other parasitic draws pull down the battery since my garage panel is setup as the "critical loads" panel.

Got connected to my bms and changed the canbus protocol from local to pylontech like I was instructed by the battery seller. Still no dice on getting this bms to closed loop communicate with the solark through the canbus port

Using Batrium BMS with my dual Sol-Ark 12-K’s with a 16s/4p diy powerwall, in a mostly closed loop style hack, that others have figured out. Using protocol lychee in this setup. Not sure this will help you, but the person/people and thread, I read about this hack, said he just kept trying different protocols until one worked? Maybe not the best idea, but it worked for him and works for my setup.
Just fyi in case.

Thanks Guys. These are the options for comm type under canbus that I have on my bms

GOODWE
Growatt
SOLAX
SOFAR
LUXPower
PV1800F
LTW
Victron
PYLONTECH
SOROTEC
SOALARFAM
Local
OEM1
OEM2

are you sure the pinout on the cable is correct ?

has to be something silly..
From what I had read the modbus cable from the battery to the solark is just a standard ethernet cable? I have not tried a different cable yet but if you are confirming that the pylontec modbus format is correct and works then it has to be a issue of cabling.

From what I had read the modbus cable from the battery to the solark is just a standard ethernet cable? I have not tried a different cable yet but if you are confirming that the pylontec modbus format is correct and works then it has to be a issue of cabling.
modbus comes in 2 different flavors..

canbus and rs485.

if your battery is set to canbus, a different pair is used than when using rs485.

for instance, my bms does canbus, thus i made a cable just connecting path 4 , path 5 and 6 (grnd)
solar assistant uses rs485, so the same cable splits off just for rs485

take peek here for an overview ( different for different versions of the deye/sol-ark/sunsynk)

the find out which paths on your bms are used for canbus

I have several ports on my Battery, 1 Can Bus, 3 RS485, and 1 RS232

I was told the CANBUS port on the battery is the one I want to tie into the Battery port on the solark

Last edited:
Back