diy solar

diy solar

What inverter do you own, and what features or strengths tipped the scales towards it over others? What are its shortcomings?

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
  1. What inverter do you own?
  2. What features or strengths convinced you to choose it over other inverters?
  3. What is it lacking/ what are its shortcomings?

So far, I have several computer UPS boxes & a knockoff hybrid 230v cheapo inverter.

Chosen because they were free...

I have my eyes set on a set of sunny island units... true 3phase power in my shop... a dream.

Victron Multiplus 24/3000. Many advantages. Many Programming options, plays well with 2 signal bms, high amperage charging, wide voltage range to fit my batteries, powerful enough to start my roof top ac without a soft start. Down, just the cost.

So far, I have several computer UPS boxes & a knockoff hybrid 230v cheapo inverter.

Chosen because they were free...

I have my eyes set on a set of sunny island units... true 3phase power in my shop... a dream.

Aren't computer UPS's AC ---> DC, is this how you use them or can they be modified to convert DC to AC?

Victron Multiplus 24/3000. Many advantages. Many Programming options, plays well with 2 signal bms, high amperage charging, wide voltage range to fit my batteries, powerful enough to start my roof top ac without a soft start. Down, just the cost.

I have been thinking about one of the Victron Inverters (probably just simple inverter not the multiplus--makes more sense in my situation)

What BMS are you using?

I have been thinking about one of the Victron Inverters (probably just simple inverter not the multiplus--makes more sense in my situation)

What BMS are you using?
I am using two Tesla 6s in parallel. I have employed 2 Electrodacus SBMS0s. Fully programmable, full automation, over and under temp control.

I am using two Tesla 6s in parallel. I have employed 2 Electrodacus SBMS0s. Fully programmable, full automation, over and under temp control.

Interesting! I love the things ElectroDacus designs (in concept, never used any). So the inverter and the SBMS0s play nice together? Did it take much work to get them to setup, or pretty straightforward?

Poweroak, china (good bang for buck+storage)
2kw / 4kwh storage, slow going from "grid" to inverter trips DVR sometime, can't adjust grid charging power. Can do 2kw all day long but larger surges trip it. hackable
3kw / 8kwh storage, also slow switching, can deal with big surges from big arm saws. can adj. charge current. hackable

Outback, USA (Worth it, but $$$$)
FXR 24v, it does what it says and more, well worth the money
outback radian, Have older none A version, have replaced relay board not cheap but you CAN get parts. Newer A version much wider voltage. Still well worth the money in my book.

SMA, German. (WOW great deal, market flooded with them)
I now own 4 of them, Stable and I can feed them AC from micro inverters, make 240v with 2 or use 2 to double 120v power. These are my new go to best bang for the buck. You can find them $1200-$2000 shop around but fear shipping them. interface for them sucks unless you can find the discontinued web box. best to use with external bms to view system info.

Sub 1000w and 12v, xantrex has been ok to me for just lead.

Aren't computer UPS's AC ---> DC, is this how you use them or can they be modified to convert DC to AC?
They have batteries in them... so, they are AC to dc, with dc to AC as well...

they are a battery charger, and an inverter with a automatic transfer switch built in.
Some are more like hybrid inverters... always on dc inverters.

1. Cheap chinese 150W inverter
  2. Seemed adequate for my small yard light experiment
  3. Live and learn. I hadn't realized that the phantom load on an inverter was so large. Also, I found out later that the minimum operating temp for this unit is -10C and that's about what we had.

Last edited:
Interesting! I love the things ElectroDacus designs (in concept, never used any). So the inverter and the SBMS0s play nice together? Did it take much work to get them to setup, or pretty straightforward?
The SBMS0 EXIO leads connect directly to the Temp Sense ans Aux IO inputs on the Multiplus to open and close the circuit to turn on and off inverting and charging. Same goes for BP65,100,220, Victron Mppt and Orion TR smart with remote switches. No need to engineer anything. The SBMS0 is under $150 USD and does everything the Victron BVM712 does plus BMS and balancing. The customer service provided by Dacian the inventor is instant. I dont understand why the guys on this site and Will dont look more deeply into this unit and other Electrodacus product. The Chinese product have 0 customer service and are not always reliable as Will has proven.

@Geriakt - I'm using the Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50. I see above that the MultiPlus line may offer more than your use-case requires. I have other Victron items in my system and I've been real happy with it all. Good company, good product and engineers that are reachable.

For my MultiPlus...

Pros for me
- perfect size to power my smaller travel trailer
- with MicroAir EasyStart installed in my larger AC unit, the inverter easily starts and runs it
- switching time is super fast - none of my electronics glitch out during the switch
- very programmable
- connects (optional) to the Victron CCGX display with visibility and control of most parameters
- (with CCGX and Internet) - remotely viewable and controllable
- 120 amp charger (by 600 AH battery bank likes this)
- 50 amp switching

Cons for me
- It's not a small or lightweight unit, so it took a bit of room in the small space for all my gear
- While mine was sponsored, they're not inexpensive but as I look at today's retail cost, they seem to be on par with other brands with comparable features (~$1300 < non-UL listed to $1430 < UL listed - link)
- I used SOOW wire for my AC input. I found it VERY difficult to get that fine-stranded copper into the input terminals and there was no room to use ferrules

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
I have a Powerbright ML2300 24V inverter.

Attributes;
Low standby consumption, 8W!
Thermostatic controlled fans are quiet unless full on doing laundry, well pump and cycle going.
High surge rating.
Watt, Volt meter somewhat accurate at above 30W draw.
Cheap, 225$

I have had 3 of these type inverters. ML900-24 was not enough for a well pump, so when we went full off grid electric needed a large enough one.

First 2300ML was on for 5 years and i inadvertently killed it surging to a fault over and over building a van camper, big compressor and had a neutral ground bond i did not know about in a new washing machine stack..... hit overcurrent fault and it fried and let out magic smoke on power up.

The new replacement would fault on power up, so it lead to finding the neutral ground bond issue!

Was wondering why the washer, other appliances and inverter groaned with the laundry....electric range top buzzing and such....

Cons;
Cheap no frills inverter.
No charger.
No settings.
No comms.

What do you expect for 200$!

Funny thing is, this is what i install vs what we run off grid! Cobblers kids never have new shoes.... most of our system is built from leftovers and exras from years of installations.

Living in an agricultural area helps with permitting...... dont have to have one:)

Attachments

• 20170919_193635.jpg
    20170919_193635.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190906_221042.jpg
    20190906_221042.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171210_151252.jpg
    20171210_151252.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171210_151215.jpg
    20171210_151215.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 15
  1. Enphase
  2. 25 yr warranty, easy to expand to any kW PV size, NEMA type 6 req for my BFE, 240VAC off the roof, easy to install, lower cost when you take wiring and space into account
  3. No power w/o grid or some form of A/C coupling. Ensemble/IQ8 fixes this, but AFAIK locks one into Enphase at this time (see Incrementally Adding AC Batteries).

I went with Victron charge controllers because they were highly praised.

The biggest drawback I see is that they hide the data recording function and there's no way [afaict] to automate long term data recording, which I need during this first year.

Duh! I my charge controllers are victron.

The inverter is Giandell. Also rated well by Will and by Jehu Garcia, and I'm happy with it. Problem with it: i cannot adjust low-voltage cutoff.

1. I have an AIMS 3Kw Inverter/charger in our 5th wheel;
2. great price for a pure sine wave inverter, I liked the combined inverter/charger which is similar to our boat. very reliable inverter.
3. battery type selection is a cheap potentiameter (a dial) and you can't really tell what position it's in. now that I'm converting to an LFP battery bank. I don't trust the charger to charge LFP properly because of the absorption period being too long. will still use it but only for a defined periods of time where I monitor it and then turn it off. (like when I'm running the generator to charge on a cloudy day). Otherwise the 1Kw of solar panels will do fine.
Hind side note: all the other equipment I have is Victron (BMV-712, 2-100/50 smart solar controllers) which I got after the inverter purchase. if I did it again would go with victron.

Reactions: Dzl
Back