diy solar

diy solar

Which controller of these two would you use?

Boomerweps

Currently have an EPEVer Tracer 100/30 MPPT hooked up. 4 100watt CIGS panels, 2S, 2P configuration for about 60 volt 10A supplied.
Bought & installed the MT50 remote display.
EBaying a used Victron 75/15, at a killer price, of course. Should have bit the bullet and gotten a Victron smart Solar 100/30 to start with ;(
Anyways, would you leave the Tracer as is and use the Victron elsewhere? Or replace the Tracer with that Victron? Either/or, no other options, please.
Assumes the Victron is working at 100%. Note, I would prefer the Bluetooth over the remote display. I read of issues with the Bluetooth use using the EpEver dongle, plus I already blew the $$ on the MT30.

Go with the Vic. If expanding get a second Victron. Let the epever go.
That is what I would do.

Why do you want to replace a 30A epever with a controller that only accepts half of that?
I would put that money in more panels and then first consider changing the controller.

Yeah if 12v, you want to keep your 30A controller. Epever will work just fine.

Going to a 15A, no matter what brand, will be a noticeable downgrade

I upgraded mine to Victron and it was one of the best decisions. I love the bluetooth and they do not have the noisy fan.

In fact I am sitting on my couch now and looking at how my system is doing this morning at 9am. I am generating at this very moment, 9.3kw of power and 7.6kw is going into my batteries. The batteries are at 95%. Isn't it great to be able to look on your phone and find all that out?

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to replace the EPEVER if its working, and I am a big fan of Victron.

I can see getting the Victron to feed 300 watts of ground mounted panels IF your batteries can handle the extra charge current without exceeding the max amperage. If you have lithiums, should be able to handle the extra charge current; if not probably can't handle the extra charge current.

Another vote on the HQST. 12 up to 48v so you have an upgrade path without replacing it, up to 60A, bluetooth, low temp cut off, and you can parallel them (which I've done). It's been rock solid.

Decided to go the easiest route, and do nothing (to the existing panels & SCC).
Likely mount the Victron 75/15 in my TT near the other Solar and add another side inlet for ground panels.
MAYBE after playing with the 75/15, I’ll get motivated to swap in a larger Victron for the EPever. IF they go on some killer sale.
I have some cheap flex panels I initially bought and a folding 150watt for my solar “generator”. And several adapters;)
This on a small travel trailer so non-12AVDC is a no go for me.

Last edited:
Back