diy solar

diy solar

Wires problem?

Rchel

I have a mppt charge controller that I think I got the wrong one rated up to 40-60 amp ( looks like a cheap Chinese one, got it from amazon) but the holes to connect the wires from battery are small, I got a 4gauge stranded copper wire that I was going to use from battery to charge controller , can’t find in amazon a wire conector that can go from 4 g to 6 gauge , can I even do this? Reduce the wire just for few inches ? Can I reduce from 4 to 8? And what type of connectors I need , I went to amazon, Home Depot , Lowe’s , home hardware and I can’t find any conector that fits what I need
Need help!!!?

@Rchel a link to said controller would help us to guide you better.

I've soldered the bare wire end and then dremmeled it to fit when I over sized some charger to battery wire in the past. Be sure to get the edges as parallel as possible not tapered. The short gauge reduction should have zero impact if the connection is tight.

This is the controller , I don’t know why it said up to 100 A with such a tiny holes to conect

Attachments

• D5893308-9361-49C8-B656-12350DB2E851.jpeg
    D5893308-9361-49C8-B656-12350DB2E851.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 6
HD and Lowes sells various screw connectors and lugs like this that i sometimes use for heavy cables:

P2PIC_1.jpg

But I think you may be going overkill...what are your system specs?

It is NOT the size of the wire that matters (To a point) Its the distance that it travels. Simply trim to fit. the loss of power for that short of a distance is minuscule.

I think you will find the controller isn’t up to the task of over 40 amps...
if the terminals aren’t large enough, odds are good the pathways in the CC aren’t either.

My system is small
100 watt pv
Charge controller mppt 40-60-100 amp ( I don’t believe it yet it looks cheap)
50 amp, 12 v deep cycle AGM battery
600watt inverter to supply a water heater 60 watt fir a chicken coop

100w panel will only produce a max 8 amps. I'd use 10 gauge from the CC to the battery which will allow some future expansion. Your 4 gauge there would be ridiculous overkill. Your inverter can draw 50 amps from your battery (for a half hour anyway), so that connection cable should be sized larger...your 4g is way more than enough.

Also, is the inverter only for the 60w water heater? If so ditch the inverter and use a DC heater, it will greatly increase your run time.

May I suggest that you wire for the future? Then you "may" not have the "do-over blues" Use your 4 gauge wire?

100w panel will only produce a max 8 amps. I'd use 10 gauge from the CC to the battery which will allow some future expansion. Your 4 gauge there would be ridiculous overkill. Your inverter can draw 50 amps from your battery (for a half hour anyway), so that connection cable should be sized larger...your 4g is way more than enough.

Also, is the inverter only for the 60w water heater? If so ditch the inverter and use a DC heater, it will greatly increase your run time.
Thank you I’ll research fir dc heater and see

Is it ok to use the cables that come from the inverter ( to connect to the battery ) or should I get bigger ones? I think it’s like 10 gauge

Back