diy solar

diy solar

Aims controller/4way charger does not charge

Solar_freak

I just perchased an Aims 80 amp controller/ 4 stage charger. The second I powered it up, and I triple checked the manual, the red alarm light came on and it does not charge?

A diagram or maybe pictures might help us figure out what's wrong if its an installation problem.

Having the same issue. We have 4 x 12V 200ah - wired to 48. I only have 4 out of 6 - 350 watt panels coming into the system. We have the aims 80a mppt ( 60 dc amp out) . We have the aims 48v 6000w inverter charger.

We can't get the batteries to charge / not can we get the DC load to turn on. It just stays stuck on the red alarm light . I am a beginner with all this, I'm just hoping someone can point me on the right direction.

IMG_20230906_083224_DRO.jpgIMG_20230906_083135_DRO.jpgIMG_20230906_083211_DRO.jpgIMG_20230906_083411_DRO.jpg

What is the model number of the charge controller?

38V is never going to be enough pv power to charge a 48 volt setup. My Sungold tp6048 for instance requires 120volts DC aka pv voltage to even start working.

What is the model number of the charge controller?

38V is never going to be enough pv power to charge a 48 volt setup. My Sungold tp6048 for instance requires 120volts DC aka pv voltage to even start working.
just wanted to say - Thanks so much for replying!

It's the AIMS SCC80AMPPT , I have 2 more panels, that should kick it up over 55v. If that's never going to be enough to kick on the inverter/charger that we have. (* keep in mind , I just started learning all this *) . We may have to go with a different set up. We were discussing a Plan B, where we had the invertor / charger pulling from the batteries only.

BUT we did disconnect the inverter from the solar charge controller, and now it does kick on the DC load with nothing attached, but I still have that red fault light on.

How are the panels wired? They should be in series to develop enough voltage.
Input volts need to be in the range 60 to 150 volts.

• 15-155Vdc@12V
  • 34-155Vdc@24V
  • 50-155Vdc@36V
  • 60-155Vdc@48V
Accord to the manual the numbers I listed above are the min required by voltage your using battery wise.

So as mentioned 60-155 is the range for a 48volt setup.
With what you listed for panels you need to do 3s2p using only the 350 watt panels to get the most out of what you have.

So thats 3 in series and then 3 more in series. Connect the two strings you create by doing this in parallel.

String 1 350w panel > 350w panel > 350w panel

String 2 350w panel > 350w panel > 350w panel

Then String 1 and String 2 positive connected to inverter positive.

Then String 1 and String 2 negative connected to inverter negative.

This should give you 114 volts and good amps. Should solve your problem hopefully.

okay awesome. We have the JKM-310p panels. I have 6, and they all are wired separately, and then combined into the BougeRV Solar Y Connector Solar Panel Parallel Connectors Extra Long 1 to 6.

4 are connected, because we had to take 2 down ( their brackets were coming loose! and we wanted to set up a better mounting system and tilt) . I should be able to get this wired up tomorrow morning possibly, I'll need to read up about how to connect these in the configuration you shared. All of these have the mc4 connectors

Honestly, I wanted to downsize the whole system, but everyone is telling me not too, that we'll regret it, but I highly doubt we'll ever be so far off grid that I'll be running the whole set up off solar and batteries.

again, Thanks so much for the info, it is super helpful.

JKM310P-72 Solar Panel Specs.jpg

With mc4's its easy to switch to series.

I'll see if I have enough extra mc4 connectors to make a video explaining it tonight.

With mc4's its easy to switch to series.

I'll see if I have enough extra mc4 connectors to make a video explaining it tonight.
oh I got that! learned last week, the last person had cut them all of the panels, and we had to fix it. Steep learning curve on that one. I think I broke a billion of them for every one I got correct, and only had to go to home depot twice to buy a new crimper and then more wire.

Back