diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

because I was able to adjust the brakes I'm going to take it for a spin Monday
I ordered a dual V belt pully to put on my new motor. but the shift and key are
the wrong size, the motor has a 24mm shaft with a 8mm key, for me to get a pully
that size would take weeks, so I got the closest size I could get in 2 days from amazon
7/8" 1/4" key, sunday I'm taking them to the office to use machines(mills/lathes) to make
it fit the shaft and make the motor brackets.

I set the ESC to 1500 max RPM and 80Amps max current.

there is not suspension on the rear axel so I don't have to worry about the motor moving(up/down).

IMG_4445.JPG

D71, not yet but going to have, I just measured the golf cart frame and it's the same same as
my panels, ones of these solar panels are going to be my sun roof :LOL:, I'm also going to have
a rear facing camera as a rear view mirror :LOL: I put one on my bike and loved it.

they were asking $5000
72Vdc 100Ah AGM batteries
top speed 25mph
it is cute! but got to think it would get very hot in there. :unsure:
View attachment 210117
No air conditioner? Cheap skates. Supposed 500 watt ac….

View attachment 210120

D71, if I said I knew what I was talking about, I'd be lying, but I do know the only place
satisfaction or happiness can be found is in your head. think pessimist-you'll feel sorrow.
I’m not really disappointed or sad. Most ppl make me laugh. 🤡🤣

New 10.1” touch screen for raspberry pi.
You’d think they would include a back at this price. A regular monitor is not a lot more money. 🤣 if I am supporting China
IMG_6115.jpeg

This monitor runs via raspberry pi usb and uses another usb for touch.

IMG_6121.jpeg
IMG_6120.jpeg

Back to 100%

D71, does something seem off in his measurements?

when he was just powering the load cells 22.5A
Capture444.PNG

then he added a 500CFM blower motor and electric pump 23.9A :unsure: I think I would check my meter.
Capture445.PNG

New 10.1” touch screen for raspberry pi.
You’d think they would include a back at this price. A regular monitor is not a lot more money. 🤣 if I am supporting China
D71, when them 10.1" open panel touch screen from china first showed up on ebay I also got one
but because my application was mobile a cheap small plastic hard case worked to mount
the display. still works after 3yrs.

IMG_4447.JPGIMG_4448.JPG

for your application I'd use this stuff to make a cover for the 10.1 open panel touch screen display.
can cut with scissors.

Capture446.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
because I was able to adjust the brakes I'm going to take it for a spin Monday
I ordered a dual V belt pully to put on my new motor. but the shift and key are
the wrong size, the motor has a 24mm shaft with a 8mm key, for me to get a pully
that size would take weeks, so I got the closest size I could get in 2 days from amazon
7/8" 1/4" key, sunday I'm taking them to the office to use machines(mills/lathes) to make
it fit the shaft and make the motor brackets.

I set the ESC to 1500 max RPM and 80Amps max current.

there is not suspension on the rear axel so I don't have to worry about the motor moving(up/down).

View attachment 210163
The rear tires is the suspension. 🤣 Old hard tail harleys had same setup rear tire pressure determined how they rode over bumps. Hit big bump it would break ass with frame seat. Why seat on original hard tails had big springs on them. 🤣

I think he powered the blower off separate car battery. Be my guess. Who knows. 🤣 thought his proto-type boxes and stuff were neat. Some Ppl learn to make do.
My first car had dragged from junk yard $100, Got an engine and tranny for it. Put that junk yard dog together for my first car. I rebuilt the engine and rebuilt the auto transmission too. Literally used oak tree limb with chain hoist put engine tranny in. Reading books paying attention to how things came apart. It was ugly but it was fast. It was mine - no payments. I carried tool box in trunk with spare parts. 🤣
If it broke I fixed it or walked. I fixed it.

My first car had dragged from junk yard $100, Got an engine and tranny for it. Put that junk yard dog together for my first car. I rebuilt the engine and rebuilt the auto transmission too. Literally used oak tree limb with chain hoist put engine tranny in. Reading books paying attention to how things came apart. It was ugly but it was fast. It was mine - no payments. I carried tool box in trunk with spare parts. 🤣
If it broke I fixed it or walked. I fixed it.
D71, we could be twins :ROFLMAO: same way it went for me.

I couldn't wait until sunday to put my motor in, it should be able to get me around the block
tomorrow :)

I messed up on the step key, and didn't get the end supports made. :(
but it should be good if I take it easy on it, no wheelies.

IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4461.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Last edited:
Well did you drive it? 🤣

This did not come up in previous search … 🤡🤣 my Bad luck for not finding this monitor.
Google suxs Amazon suxs…sometimes.
IMG_6132.jpeg
IMG_6133.jpeg

Shame the Solar Assistant ties up the whole raspberry pi and can’t run it in background. Seems like a lot of money to use and see just it. I think some ppl might be queer for solar. What would ppl do for a ray of sunshine. Snicker. 🤣

We do hit a point of going over board with information vs basic utilitarian practical application.
Sniff kid safe Elmer's glue and watch paint dry. 🤣 Biden sniffs kids even liberal young turks called him out.

IMG_6147.jpeg
Wanted to play:

So disconnected pv to all in one MPP Solar inverter. Hooked up my Victron solar charge controller. Like night and day difference for charge speed and much more effective getting batteries up to charge. I have it temp installed for now.
Hmmmm ….. the Victron is set to default Lifepo 48v battery settings and it mostly corresponds to my battery specs.
Shame Solar Assistant does not intergrate Victron solar charge controllers.

The reported amps and wattage is a lot higher now. Just like night and day difference.
IMG_6145.jpeg

All charged up. This Victron equipment is impressive. Debating adding my Victron smart shunt. Victron has a nice app for the Raspberry PI too.
Tempted buy the Victron 48v 3000 inverter and tossing this mpp solar inverter in the box as a spare.
IMG_6149.jpeg

Last edited:
Well did you drive it?
D71, it did but very slow, the encoder cable is too short so I ran it open loop, but there
was a 500rpm max when open loop. right now I'm making the encoder cable longer.
it would take me much longer to figure out the open loop parameters.
This did not come up in previous search
that is a sweet price, even without the touch screen option, I may get one just to play with it. thanks!
All charged up. This Victron equipment is impressive.
yesterday was a sweet sun day for me also, was seeing 960W :love: today not so good(overcast all day).
with what I got yesterday I'm good for 3 days.

PS: that clamp on current meter is sweet for checking my arduino ADC values. also nice to see
the charge controller is reporting good values. :)

Last edited:
I wanted to see if I could run this motor sensorless but using USB extension cables
to reach inside my office didn't work, keep losing communications, so I had to move
the computer outside to set the drive parameters.

hours of entertainment :rolleyes:

IMG_4473.JPG

It made it around the block for the first time. :)

sensorless is kind of rough at low RPMs but smooths out at higher RPMs
I'm sure there is a ESC parameter to smooth it out :unsure:

IMG_4475.JPG

Last edited:
tested on both street and grass, while I still have some ESC tuning to do to
run it closed loop, it's time to start looking at repairing the fiberglass.

IMG_4477.JPG

I have no ideal …. The paint gun maker is suppose to provide that info for cfm as required at what set psi….while trigger is pulled.

If get it I suggest you clean the paint gun with good cleaner - paint thinner. Dry it. Then fill cup with water and see how it sprays . You could even spray your golf cart buggy and see how much water it takes. Give about idea of how much paint…. and it is just water will dry. Remember paint won’t cover bad prep work. Surface prep once paint is applied will reflect imperfections.

I have high dollar paint guns. ….2 of these and a few more. Some cheap paint guns work great though. When you put in hundreds of prep hours on autobody want best chance of it lasting and going off without drama. 🤣 These guns use to be around $200 each when bought mine. Everything has gone stupid expensive. My paint guns are old. 🤣
IMG_6173.jpeg

I played with this Harbor freight paint gun and it uses a lot of air - cfm. At that time had an actual 3hp 220 volt 60 gallon tank compressor. I laugh when ppl show 120volt 5hp air compressor. …15 amp plug….snicker.

Video of someone using it. Others will be similar. Youtube is full of videos on spray painting and gun setup.

Amazon link.

This Gun looks better.

This guy is doing sealer, base coat, and clear - automotive paints. He swears by it. Over spray gets everywhere with that hf gun . I used the 3m PPS cups on my guns. Video below shows knock off cups.…think their patent expired.

Low cfm is a biggie - most home compressors are low cfm.
This is my compressor now. Lot smaller … I don’t use it as much any more. It has been good one…changed oil 2-3 times when first got it - removed garbage out of it ….Chinese are nasty bastards with metal shaving, dirt, and such. Rated Make 6 cfm at 40psi. 5 cfm at 90psi

Sure glade I started the fiberglass repairs outside, very bad odor with the fiberglass resin :oops:

View attachment 211531
Best to do everything outside. Sanding dust is a major problem …hard to get rid of it. Paint fumes can and will last for months. Best outside too. Paint mid day not as many bugs. The bugs are drawn to fresh paint. They do death wiggles on it

You need some glass matte on it for repairs…just using the resins will often crack It will probably crack somewhere else anyway. Old fiberglass does that. Itchy as hell.

You need some glass matte on it for repairs…
D71, while I only used 2 layers(on backside) of the glass matte that came with the repair kit.

IMG_4484.JPG

I was thinking of only using bondo to fill the cracks on the outside, or do you feel that would
be best glass matte covered then sanded smooth ?

IMG_4485.JPG

because I'm 2 weeks away form getting the parts to make the gear reduction for the
5000RPM motor, and because it only take 20 minutes to change motors I reinstalled
the 1962 36V motor to play around, but didn't like, with it only having 3 speeds it lurches
when starting both forwards and reverse, and is not a smooth transition with they way
it was designed, so I wondered, what if I replace the 1960's tech with 2010 tech.

so I ordered a Curtis golf cart speed controller from Amazon ($150.00) and it showed up the next day :)

only difference I can see is the speed of the curtis is 3000RPM max, my motor is 1500RPM max, they list a 0 - 5K speed pot
I used a 0 - 2.5K pot for speed, and it is very smooth.

below image is 1960's tech.
IMG_4422.JPG

2010 tech

IMG_4491.JPG

Last edited:
using the 1962 motor the best I could do is 15 mph with the current gearing.:(
seems it time to man up, grow a pair. back to the 5000 rpm motor, with the
software for the ESC I set the max rpm at 3000 rpm, looking for 25 mph.

soon as it stops raining I'll give it a try. :oops:

IMG_4493.JPG

the new battery pack is looking good. :)

IMG_4492.JPG

this battery pack is 5 years old, looks like 2 weaker cells #2, #6

IMG_4494.JPG

Last edited:
Tommy old fiberglas is pita. It stinks like crazy just like bondo fillers. You can mix parts for both of them for thin strong filler. Look it up will end up with goo if mess it up. Both stink. Most paints stink too. I can hardly believe ppl use to huff that shit - spray paint to get high. Brain cell terminator. I remember seeing ppl with gold paint on their face - huffer. Pre crack - pre meth heads.

Fiberglass repairs will often hold but new cracks pop up. Old corvettes are horrible. Near Perfect rebuild ruined by new crack …. Old metal can often pop rust out - ruining a finish too. Usually bubbles with rust under it. If treat the metal with chemicals kill the rust - metal burn… then sometimes paint won’t stick or other problems. De-lamination is usual problem.

You need a T class fuse if that is ending as 48+ volts. ~$25 - $30 on amazon. Most breakers for 48 volt batteries are big in physical size Those marine breaker sometimes fail when pushed. A $25 -$30 fuse might mean your ass won’t be roasted. The silica arrest the fire in fuse —— inside turns to glass like state. I’m sure you know that.

IMG_6254.jpeg

I find it funny that ppl with Victron use what appears to be anl fuses though. Might be silica in the fuse link housing - be my guess. There was a video of a victron mega fuse sitting there smoldering on youtube… not opening up. Some ppl say size fuse per wire. That might be code but it needs to be weakest link if you want to avoid fires and other crazy shit. 🤡 besides I have bad habit over sizing wire in my house for future upgrades - load. I don’t over size breakers …🤣🤡 Looks like you sized per the max 100 amp draw of your motor.

Shhhhssss at time bought my setup got anl fuse and used 2 breakers too. Neither were right but aside from something going wrong in inverter never loaded it more then 1500watts.

Damn Talked myself into changing that anl fuse out to a T rated or at least a Victron type like in link. Did you know T rated fuses can still carry potential just not much current after they pop? I’ve seen them ohm out good with no external damage - tattle tale still in place. Megger will find it. 🤣 .

IMG_6253.jpeg

A $25 -$30 fuse might mean your ass won’t be roasted.
D71, when these pouch cells go they don't go quietly. :oops:🔥💥

my cells are rated at continuous discharge rate of 400A, for 3 seconds they can do 800A
one of these on each output busbar should help keep the fire trucks away from my golf cart.

Capture454.PNG

Last edited:
Back