diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
So I have been on the wait list for well over 2 years. When I used to go to my account, it would give an estimate as to when it would be available. Then about a year ago, they decided to open things up to RVers (no more geolock) and offered "best effort" service. Ok, I get that, but on my account page it now says:

"CONFIRM YOUR ORDER - BEST EFFORT
By confirming your order, you agree to a deprioritized “Best Effort” service behind Residential users, resulting in slower speeds, particularly at times of peak usage.

With Best Effort you will keep your spot in line and will be notified again when your Residential spot is available. Choosing Cancel below will cause you to lose your place in line."

I am a bit confused by this as there is no longer a date listed for when it would be available. If I do nothing will I still eventually get it? It looks like they want you to agree to the best effort (and pay and wait). Any insight would be appreciated.

I understand they’re doubling their staff and launching tons of satellites to saturate the market.
It’s the best thing going for wireless internet.

I assume you guys are somewhere in the southeast?
Texas. Outside of San Antonio. I’m rural, but they are actually running fiber nearby. I will probably have that before I’m off the Starlink waitlist.

I gave up and put a cell router on a satellite dish and aimed it at a nearby city. 30dBi gain on 5G bands like I'm next to the tower.

Can you give me more info on your setup?
I know you didn't ask me but... I'd been using a netgear nighthawk mr1100 with antennas and service from a company that resells ATT. They become very unreliable. I headed down to the ATT store and they hooked me up with an unlimited plan. Fast forward about 2 years, that nighthawk bricked itself during a reset, I bought a refurbed MR6500 M6 pro and doubled my download to 25-35+mb. Don't have an antenna on the new device either. ATT sucks, but it's the only thing that works more often where I live in rural West Virginia.

I know you didn't ask me but... I'd been using a netgear nighthawk mr1100 with antennas and service from a company that resells ATT. They become very unreliable. I headed down to the ATT store and they hooked me up with an unlimited plan. Fast forward about 2 years, that nighthawk bricked itself during a reset, I bought a refurbed MR6500 M6 pro and doubled my download to 25-35+mb. Don't have an antenna on the new device either. ATT sucks, but it's the only thing that works more often where I live in rural West Virginia.

As much as I dislike the sight of cell towers all over our beautiful country now, I'd rather have that than the awful pollution of the night sky from Starlink. I realize this is not really a rational thought...I mean the cell towers can be seen 24/7 and the starlink train can only be seen occasionally and for a few minutes, but dang, I really hate the sight of that bright train going across the sky at night. Wish they could do something about that.

I'm Southern Oregon & just ordered Starlink Roam today for my trailer. It says ~2weeks? I presume this thread is Residential Starlink or does it matter - e.g. wait is wait for any service?

There are several relatively recent youtubes showing it working for RV purposes. One commented that East half of US is poorer / downgraded to favor residential quite often - west half of US = less issues.

FYI - Had to try ~10 times / 3 different browsers for it to accept one of my 3 credit cards. Not a good start but hopefully I won't have to wait 2 years to see how it work for our travels.

Last edited:
I presume this thread is Residential Starlink or does it matter - e.g. wait is wait for any service?

Residential for me.

My gripe is that I was getting close to the top of the wait list and then they opened it up to RVers and anyone willing to live with the degrading. Now I have no idea when capacity will be to the point where I would get non-degraded service.

But my main question was if anyone is in the same boat where they no longer give an ETA, and do I have to sign up for the "best effort" to actually move up the list.

Will that be the case when all the sats are up?
There's gonna be more?? When I do see them, it looks like about 30 of them in a row. First time I saw them, I didn't know what they were. My mind flipped between "they must be satellites" and "ok, finally getting to see some alien spaceships". Lol, but not really. I really don't like them. I wish I had known about this and could have written to my political reps and at least expressed my displeasure and persuaded them to vote no or somehow prevent Musk or anyone else from putting such a nightmare in the sky.

There's gonna be more??

"SpaceX currently has more than 4,200 functioning Starlink satellites in space....
SpaceX has regulatory approval to launch up to 12,000 more Starlink craft and is seeking permission to add 30,000 more, according to Space.com."

There's gonna be more?? When I do see them, it looks like about 30 of them in a row. First time I saw them, I didn't know what they were. My mind flipped between "they must be satellites" and "ok, finally getting to see some alien spaceships". Lol, but not really. I really don't like them. I wish I had known about this and could have written to my political reps and at least expressed my displeasure and persuaded them to vote no or somehow prevent Musk or anyone else from putting such a nightmare in the sky.
When you saw the 30 in a row, are you sure that it’s not from an initial release? I think after they leave the launch vehicle they spread out.

"SpaceX currently has more than 4,200 functioning Starlink satellites in space....
SpaceX has regulatory approval to launch up to 12,000 more Starlink craft and is seeking permission to add 30,000 more, according to Space.com."
Holy shit. I had no idea. Gonna be writing my senators soon. The world does NOT need this level of internet connectivity, imo. Sheesh.

When you saw the 30 in a row, are you sure that it’s not from an initial release? I think after they leave the launch vehicle they spread out.
Hmm, I have no idea. How often do they release them or is there a calendar (with history) that I can look to?

I was on the wait list and they contacted me a year or two ago I cant remember exactly when. I turned them down since the cable service worked so well here. Im in alabama if that helps on this.

Back