diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

So back to the original question, Anyone still on the wait list and only seeing what I posted earlier? There is no contact us button (unless you already have signed up for service), so no easy way to ask if just waiting without signing up for best effort will still result in getting it eventually.

I'm Southern Oregon & just ordered Starlink Roam today for my trailer. It says ~2weeks? I presume this thread is Residential Starlink or does it matter - e.g. wait is wait for any service?

There are several relatively recent youtubes showing it working for RV purposes. One commented that East half of US is poorer / downgraded to favor residential quite often - west half of US = less issues.

FYI - Had to try ~10 times / 3 different browsers for it to accept one of my 3 credit cards. Not a good start but hopefully I won't have to wait 2 years to see how it work for our travels.
Just to follow up on Starlink Roam. It arrived today (less than a week from ordering) and fired up the first time. ~120mbs download / 35ms latency. Only ran it for an hour watching Amazon video on the trailer TV so I can't say anything about ongoing results, but so far the Roam version looks good.

So I have been on the wait list for well over 2 years. When I used to go to my account, it would give an estimate as to when it would be available. Then about a year ago, they decided to open things up to RVers (no more geolock) and offered "best effort" service. Ok, I get that, but on my account page it now says:

"CONFIRM YOUR ORDER - BEST EFFORT
By confirming your order, you agree to a deprioritized “Best Effort” service behind Residential users, resulting in slower speeds, particularly at times of peak usage.

With Best Effort you will keep your spot in line and will be notified again when your Residential spot is available. Choosing Cancel below will cause you to lose your place in line."

I am a bit confused by this as there is no longer a date listed for when it would be available. If I do nothing will I still eventually get it? It looks like they want you to agree to the best effort (and pay and wait). Any insight would be appreciated.
I was on Best effort for about 6 months then got on regular.
Depends on how many people are trying to get service in your area.

I was on Best effort for about 6 months then got on regular.
Depends on how many people are trying to get service in your area.

Thanks. This answers part of my question. What I don't know is what happens if I don't order Best Effort and just keep waiting. Since they no longer show any ETA for regular service, it almost seems like you have to sign up for Best Effort to move forward.

Thanks. This answers part of my question. What I don't know is what happens if I don't order Best Effort and just keep waiting. Since they no longer show any ETA for regular service, it almost seems like you have to sign up for Best Effort to move forward.
I’m honestly not sure.

Do not see any phone # in the app.

This is a link I found for created a support ticket.

Do you have your equipment yet?

I was running mine for 6 months at best effort then they upgraded me.

Never had a set date. They just said when they caught up with demand they would upgrade me.
This is a link I found to create a support ticket.

Last edited:
Do you have your equipment yet?

No. As I mentioned, when I first pre-ordered, there was an ETA of late 2021. Then it pushed out to mid 2022. But after they opened up Best Effort, it no longer shows any ETA for regular service and only shows what I posted at the beginning of the thread. The way it's worded almost makes it sound like you have to order Best Effort to move up the list. Or are they also giving priority to those who are on Best Effort over those who have been waiting for years but have not settled for Best Effort?

I tried the link you provided and the only support option it gives me after logging in is "Deposit Refund Issue" (and even that is greyed out). So I tried it anyway since you can put in a subject, and all it does when I hit submit is says "Something went wrong on our end. Please wait and then try again.".

Last edited:
Not sure if people realize but they are launching nearly weekly Starlink satellites These launches are so common now that it is mundane. Last one was few days ago. Next one tomorrow. So they are trying to get them up as quickly as possible to maintain service speeds and increase range. The big rapid increase won't be until Starship is actually flying and is able to deploy larger Starlink satellites that will even support direct satellite to cell phone use.

Someone where I work signed up for the mobile/RV Starlink last week, and got their equipment two days later.

Someone where I work signed up for the mobile/RV Starlink last week, and got their equipment two days later.

Yes, you can sign up for that and get the equipment right away. That does not mean you will always get good service (depending where you live). I could get equipment now too, but I'm not going to pay full price for degraded service.

but I'm not going to pay full price for degraded service.

Satellite will always just be best effort. Either you want something better than what you have or you don't

Heck even with Fiber, your at the mercy of peering and other congestion, there is no 100% never degrades service with the internet, period.

Yes, you can sign up for that and get the equipment right away. That does not mean you will always get good service (depending where you live). I could get equipment now too, but I'm not going to pay full price for degraded service.
I was on the wait list for about 6 months of the estimated 1yr wait when we got the offer for best effort service. (Right around the time Elon was buying some expensive website). I figured he was trying to drum up cash and then starlink would have no incentive to upgrade me to full residential service.

So I waited another 6 months for full service, which never came. 2 months later we had bad storms that chewed up the DSL service in our area. So we jumped on the best effort service at full price.

2 weeks later we were upgraded to full residential service.

Yep, just feedback on an immediately available option. Even dialup was "we'll do the best we can". You could try tin cans and string, or launch your own satellite constellation.

Everyone I know with Starlink has been beyond thrilled with their service. User experience isn't equivalent to fiber, but it is equivalent to cable, and lightyears ahead of other off-grid options.

Satellite will always just be best effort.

Then why have two names for the service? Yes, there "can" be some slowdowns at peak times, but that is not the same as offering a service that is promising degradation (at the same price).

BTW, I currently have a WISP and it rarely drops below 25 Mbps DL because there are limits on how many people can be on each node. I only signed up for Starlink because it "promised" much faster speeds for the same price.

I also have fiber at a second home and it never drops below 250 Mbps, but I would not even notice a 20% drop. Can not say the same for the WISP.

Starlink isn't available yet at the property location we're considering. Maybe soon... maybe? Nothing much is there. Starlink maps shows they've filled in the entire area just one hexagon spot north of there. I'm guessing Starlink will be there sooner than Spectrum's or Frontier's build-outs they're planning "eventually."

If I do nothing will I still eventually get it? It looks like they want you to agree to the best effort (and pay and wait). Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes.

We were offered "best effort" last September, and chose not to complete our order at that time. Then in April we were notified that we were able to complete the order for regular residential service. We were only given 7 days notice, though, after which we'd lose our spot in line, so keep an eye on your email and promptly read anything with "@starlink.com" in it.

Here's our timeline:
June 2020 - Signed up for Starlink email list - they were only gauging interest and gathering zip codes at this point.
July 2020 - Added my full address to the service
February 2021 - Got notice of starlink availability, within 24 hours of that email I paid a deposit to get on the waiting list since my area had no more spots available. Order confirmed with estimated availability of mid to late 2021.
November 2021 - Blaming silicon shortages they indicate the time is longer, but didn't give it in email. Had to go to the site, and if I recall correctly my order slipped to mid 2022
March 2022 - Notice of price increase, and told that I'd have 7 days notice once my spot became available (ie, they can take as long as they want, but if I take any time I'll lose my spot - a one sided game if there ever was one)
May 2022 - Starlink for RVs is offered.
September 2022 - Delivery slipped to mid 2023, offered "Best effort" option - for the same price as regular residential (again, a ridiculous one-sided game)
April 6, 2023 - I can complete the order in 7 days or I'll be dropped off the list with a full refund automatically.
April 10, 2023 - I see the email and we discuss it. They don't indicate if we are in the new pricing arrangement where people in congested areas pay more than those in uncongested areas, so we just have to assume that we will be paying the higher service rate and base our decision on that.
April 11, 2023 - We complete the order. In addition to the price hike, they also charge $50 for shipping and handling. Amazon could do it for $5, but here's another way for starlink to rake in the money from those in internet poor areas. I also order the ethernet adaptor (shipping free, go figure)
April 13 & 14, 2023 - shipment notices with tracking info
April 15, 2023 - Starlink dish received - Shipped from Groveport, Ohio so next day for me. (ethernet adaptor shipping from same location on the same day didn't arrive until 4/17)

I was able to setup and use the dish the same day I received it, and my service start date in the bill was listed as 4/28, so essentially 2 weeks "free" - probably to handle the return period and make things less of a hassle for refunds and customer partial refund complaints.

We did end up in the more expensive area - $120/mo. They bill about 7 days after a given service period ends. There is no information or estimate about when or if we would ever be moved to a less expensive "uncongested" plan.

Previous setup:

For reference, our internet has largely consisted of multiple cellular hotspots, with their ups and downs. I got an ATT unlimited plan which included unlimited hotspot data for up to 10 lines, we had 2 4G LTE hotspots with 2 yagi antennas per hotspot pointed to our strongest tower. I eventually worked on cobbling together MCTCP which would perform some link aggregation with the use of a VPS, but it was never very stable. Eventually TMobile brought out their 5G hotspot for $50/mo and we gave that a go, and found that it was better in many ways, and since I didn't have to shell out $$$ for the hotspot (5G hotspots are still very expensive) and could use the external antennas with it we switched to that, though kept our ATT free hotspots as well since they only added $20/mo to the ATT plan each, and we had some specific use cases.

In all of this we generally had about 8-32MBps with 60mS down, and 5-10Mbps up. Average about 12mbps down overall. When aggregated I saw speeds as high as 50mbps when the tower wasn't busy, but during the day it just wasn't much better than the t-mobile alone - it seemed to be carrying the load - and there were issues with the ATT and TMobile networks dropping MCTCP packets. I had to enable a VPN for one link because they wouldn't pass the data at all. When they passed the VPN data they appeared to slow it down. The biggest benefit was we had a real, fixed public IP and no longer had to deal with the CGNAT on top of which our router would place another NAT.

Starlink service:

I have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky, according to the starlink dish, and the only time we see speeds below 30mbps or latency greater than 45mS is if it's raining really, really hard with heavy cloud cover. Even then we still get 3mbps or better.

When everyone is on the network and streaming, during the evening when the network seems its slowest, a speed test will usually show 20-40mbps bandwidth still available. It's gotten better since a lightning storm forced a router upgrade and I purchased a set of TP-Link Deco X55 mesh units that handle my high number of wifi connections better.

When I perform the advanced speed test starlink provides that measures speed from the dish to the satellite, then from the dish to my device I generally find about 80-150mbps.

So it's definitely an upgrade from what we had been using, and we'll happily pay the premium until we get fiber, which is being built out with rural funding programs, though we're on the tail end of that too, so it may be another 2 years before it finally reaches us.

At any rate, we decided to hold the course, however I'm pretty sure the "best effort" internet connection would have still been better than our cellular, and we should have upgraded at that point, or even gone for the RV program when it was made available. I held off because I heard reports of others that their starlink was not as good as tmobile's 5G option, and I wasn't going to pay the additional cost for a worse connection. Further, it wasn't clear whether we could keep our place in line, and convert the RV dish to residential when our time came up (it looks like you can't, but I'm guessing if you contacted customer service once you were a paying customer they would figure something out). If we had gottent he best effort in September it would have automatically converted to residential (ostensibly in April when we go to the top of the list - but Starlink has done some shady money/time things in the past which makes me skeptical).

I haven't had reason or need to work with customer service. It just works, it works all the time, and while I'm no die-hard prepper, I do have a few things I've been holding onto, such as a Spot 3 satellite messenger, for emergency use which this resolves. If, like we've experienced twice in the last two decades, things go awry for several days, the cell towers become slow or useless, and our communication avenues become limited, this should still work fairly well. I'm unsure of the ground station backup situation, but with laser link satellites being deployed in the constellations I suspect even nearby ground station outages will not cause significant network outages. This with amateur radio takes care of communications, the well and solar takes care of water and most environmental concerns.

Last edited:
We were offered "best effort" last September, and chose not to complete our order at that time. Then in April we were notified that we were able to complete the order for regular residential service. We were only given 7 days notice, though, after which we'd lose our spot in line, so keep an eye on your email and promptly read anything with "@starlink.com" in it.

Here's our timeline:

Thanks for the info. That answered all of my questions (and your timeline is similar to mine). Guess I will just wait it out. Not going to pay the same price for degraded service.

I was unaware of the two t-tier cost system. I was informed of one of the previous price increases. So much for being (and paying a deposit) to be on a pre-order wait list and having multiple price increases before even getting service.

Last edited:
You can see starlink in realtime from anywhere on the earth if you put in your coordinates at www.heavens-above.com
It will also give predictions of other satellites along with the ISS plus many other things above our heads.
This is quite impressive: Thank you Elon, thank you.

Back