diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

Not sure how you do that on a 1-5 mb link.
At least you said it was no different.
Teams or zoom won’t work well at that speed.
Jira or Service now definitely won’t like it.

I get 100+ down and 12-15 up (sometimes up to 20). Worse in heavy rain but that's pretty rare and still doesn't impact me noticeably. It is for sure faster than my DSL was.

I started with a Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem in high school, so maybe my standards aren't as high as yours :)

But seriously, nobody has noticed (that they mentioned anyway), and all the dev tools I use over the VPN work fine - git, remote VMware desktops, etc... I use Zoom several hours a day, Teams a few times a weeks, and occasionally Skype. And personal video calls over Facetime and Signal work fine.

I get 100+ down and 12-15 up (sometimes up to 20). Worse in heavy rain but that's pretty rare and still doesn't impact me noticeably. It is for sure faster than my DSL was.

I started with a Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem in high school, so maybe my standards aren't as high as yours :)

But seriously, nobody has noticed (that they mentioned anyway), and all the dev tools I use over the VPN work fine - git, remote VMware desktops, etc... I use Zoom several hours a day, Teams a few times a weeks, and occasionally Skype. And personal video calls over Facetime and Signal work fine.
Ah you are using VM apps.
That makes a difference.

Wasn’t aware of that..

So I have been on the wait list for well over 2 years. When I used to go to my account, it would give an estimate as to when it would be available. Then about a year ago, they decided to open things up to RVers (no more geolock) and offered "best effort" service. Ok, I get that, but on my account page it now says:

"CONFIRM YOUR ORDER - BEST EFFORT
By confirming your order, you agree to a deprioritized “Best Effort” service behind Residential users, resulting in slower speeds, particularly at times of peak usage.

With Best Effort you will keep your spot in line and will be notified again when your Residential spot is available. Choosing Cancel below will cause you to lose your place in line."

I am a bit confused by this as there is no longer a date listed for when it would be available. If I do nothing will I still eventually get it? It looks like they want you to agree to the best effort (and pay and wait). Any insight would be appreciated.
The best effort was still pretty fast speeds. We got the same message and went for it. After 2-3 months of best effort we got merged into the full speed. I’m in Willis,TX.

Back