diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

BTW you can Toggle the Download map to Availability, Upload Speed or Latency Maps using the Pull down tab in the top menu.

Going by that map, I am physically still in the wait list area. But if they are using zip code for offering standard service as being available, half is in and half is out.

In any case, I still get speeds all over the place, typically leaning toward the low end.

At this point I have not made up my mind if I will keep it or not. I will give it a couple of months. In the mean time, I bought one of these multi-WAN port routers from Amazon. It was half price at $28 (because I think the company is out of business). It works great with my current WISP as either load sharing or backup only. I use it in backup only mode (Starlink primary, WISP backup) because in load sharing, traffic can go whichever way it needs to, and some IP location based things like steaming services can balk if it sees you "moving" constantly between different locations.

When you saw the 30 in a row, are you sure that it’s not from an initial release? I think after they leave the launch vehicle they spread out.

When you saw the 30 in a row, are you sure that it’s not from an initial release? I think after they leave the launch vehicle they spread out.
yes this is correct. they're only close together when they're first released after launch, after that they slowly spread out into operating position. it would defeat the purpose of them to have them close together they need to be spread out into a net to ensure coverage. the other thing is that a lot of the original deployments have been de-orbited and replaced with upgraded satellites, which is another cycle that will continue over time. also newer satellites address the concerns regarding astronomical observations.

to answer one of the other questions I saw, if you go to https://stellarium-web.org/ you can have it show any man-made satellites that are being tracked, including the ISS and starlink satellites, and to be honest they can be hard to spot even when you know they're there, because you're only going to see them when they catch the light, and you're probably much more likely to see airplanes & commercial jets, although I say that having lived most of my life near an international airport, maybe those are fewer if you don't live on along a common flight path.

My father was also on the waiting list and bailed when they made the change.

We'll see what happens when/if the competition comes online. Starlink has the technical advantage of being first up there, although I've seen some news that some of the satellite phone services that have satellites already in place are going to try to technical wizardry to compete.

What a difference 5 months makes.
Since I made my post in Aug 2023 I think they have launched well over 100 new satellites.
Now I have Zero dropouts and the speed is almost consonantly between 140-150 Mbs.
Rain fade is now nearly gone because satellites are now typically close by and not just on the edges of the footprint.

Since I made my post in Aug 2023 I think they have launched well over 100 new satellites.
Now I have Zero dropouts and the speed is almost consonantly between 140-150 Mbs.
Rain fade is now nearly gone because satellites are now typically close by and not just on the edges of the footprint.
In Miame. Also seeing better speed, although latency is a bit worse than in the past (often around 60-75 ms). While much better than the "early days" of Starlink, we're still seeing some "micro drops" of a few seconds every now and then, though. Our router uses a service from Peplink that allows us to combine two different internet feeds, to ensure better continuity (Starlink as primary, a WISP as secondary, in our case). We did this when Starlink was new, to deal with the very frequent microdrops that disrupt Zoom, Teams, phone calls, etc. - anything that can't buffer. The WISP went down for a couple of days last week, after a storm. Sure enough, people on calls reported occasional freezes and drops. Wasn't enough to end the call, but wasn't great either. So, very happy we have Starlink, but not as happy as I'll be when the fiber gets installed within the next couple of years.

It's been about the same amount of time since my last post here too. For me, things have gotten somewhat better, with speeds now usually always above 60Mbps (but still rarely going over 100Mbps). I won't really know how well the rain fade issue is until the beginning of summer when we get the heavy rains. For now I am still keeping my WISP as a backup.

Still not thrilled that they have not figured out how to report your IP as your physical location vice the ground station (for me it shows me in Dallas (400 miles away). Also still have issues with certain streaming services that use IP location for determining what your "home" location is. My public IP changes about once a month or so. And no, I am not going to use a VPN to solve something Starlink should be working on themselves, or in combination with the streaming services.

Still not thrilled that they have not figured out how to report your IP as your physical location vice the ground station (for me it shows me in Dallas (400 miles away).
Yup! I live in Maine and most services think I'm in the metro NYC-Nj area. Bit of a difference there!

Yup! I live in Maine and most services think I'm in the metro NYC-Nj area. Bit of a difference there!
The less accurate automatic location services are the better IMO. I don't really want everyone automatically knowing where I live just because I looked at Walmart's website.

The less accurate automatic location services are the better IMO. I don't really want everyone automatically knowing where I live just because I looked at Walmart's website.

That's silly. It's not about giving your exact location, just about giving the general area (i.e. within a few miles, not hundreds). Every time I do a search for a store (any store), it always wants give me Dallas based places, instead of closer to where I actually live (i.e. San Antonio). If you use your cell phone, how do you think it knows your general location? Hint: Cell towers.

Great news! You may still have interruption of service for a couple of hours during big thunderstorms as i do, but that only happened 2 times last year for me.

They’ve actually been launching about 100/month lately, and that is the much more capable v2 mini variant. When they were launching the v1 variant the first part of the year (mostly, it tapered off during the second half) those were smaller and lighter and they were launching about 250/mo of those. 66 Starlink launches last year I think (5.5/month on average) with either ~60 v1 or ~22 v2 mini per launch (the number varies slightly depending on the specific orbital and flight profile).

The one thing that worries me is the 5 year lifespan. in 2 years the first set is going to start dropping out of the sky. Can SpaceX replace them fast enough while still adding greater numbers to the fleet?

Great news! You may still have interruption of service for a couple of hours during big thunderstorms as i do, but that only happened 2 times last year for me.
Honestly I am fine with a few interruptions during really bad weather.
Nothing is perfect and when something stops working it’s just more time that I can spend on other things.

The one thing that worries me is the 5 year lifespan. in 2 years the first set is going to start dropping out of the sky. Can SpaceX replace them fast enough while still adding greater numbers to the fleet?
I really dont know. But judging from what Spacex is doing i would say that yes. Spacex is also a militar contractor that is developing right now Starshield, a similar system to Starlink but for military uses. It suggest that they have available more launching capability than they need. So i would not worry too much about it.

They put 80% of the world’s mass into orbit in 2023 - 1200 tons. 2/3 of that was Starlink :) They are expecting to bump that up 50% this year.

By 2025 Starship should be launching too, at 150-200 tons to orbit PER LAUNCH!

Don’t worry about their launch capacity.

I was surprised during our snowstorm with 1"+ coming down per hour starlink stayed up. It wasn't great, but we still had 2-3 streams going at once and only saw buffering a few times.

In the field of satellite communications, Starlink has an incalculable advantage in that they effectively own the launching system and give themselves deep, deep discounts.

First mover advantage is important, but smart phones existed years before Apple came along and completely redefined the field. But in this case the hurdle of getting hardware into space is so tall that the only way someone else can compete is if they own or partner with a reusable launch provider. Amazon has a chance. I think relativity might get there. but their programs are equivalent to the falcon one. Spacex is 2.5 generations beyond that, and even discounting starship they are already putting more hardware into space each year than most other providers have put up since their inception.

Spacex isn't waiting for someone to catch up, though, with starship they are leapfrogging over themselves and will maintain a significant lead in launch capability for at least 5-10 years. By that time they'll have so much hardware in space, and so many ongoing contracts to put new hardware up and maintain old hardware, not to mention human spaceflight, that it will be hard for anyone to catch up.

On top of that, they have 2.2 million starlink customers as of December 2023. That's over $200 in revenue every month, or $1.2 billion every year. If someone competes, Starlink merely has to slow its launch cadence and drop its prices.

So I don't see any viable internet satellite providers competing for customers anytime soon, and the only thing starlink has to fight against right now are fiber installations being funded by the government. They weren't able to cash in on rural internet subsidy, so I would be very surprised if they weren't lobbying to end such subsidies altogether to force customers into starlink.

I was on the waitlist from years ago and just bought the Gen 3 dish. I happened to be on the bleeding edge of technology getting the latest dish that was begining to be released.
I've been using a Yagi antenna and a booster for 4G and it served well while overlanding. It took time, effort and dedication to find a good camping spot and have cell signal. It truly is amazing how far out in the country people can be and get 4G. But the Starlink is 5x better internet service at least where I am now out in bfe.

QXHQfpb.jpg

I was on the waitlist from years ago and just bought the Gen 3 dish. I happened to be on the bleeding edge of technology getting the latest dish that was begining to be released.
I've been using a Yagi antenna and a booster for 4G and it served well while overlanding. It took time, effort and dedication to find a good camping spot and have cell signal. It truly is amazing how far out in the country people can be and get 4G. But the Starlink is 5x better internet service at least where I am now out in bfe.

QXHQfpb.jpg
IMG_0399.png

In the 4 or so months Ive been using my Gen2 I have noticed a bump in reliability both in hardware and reception since activation.

I considered a few times converting to 12V and even cutting the antenna out of the case. I still have the parts list. Alas, I couldnt derive a significant benefit over the cost/risk. A small PSW did the trick - Im good.

Ended up getting the $45 Etsy 3D molded Husky corners. I simply whip it out and enjoy. Its why I bought it. Stupid rotating pole or no….

IMG_4248.jpeg

IMG_4325.jpeg

The Gen 2 dish was no longer available for my plan (whatever plan overlanding fits in). I don't mind the Gen 3 at all. It is silly easy to setup and works great. Hopefully I won't have to line up a Yagi to a 4G tower ever again lol.

Back