diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV and Powerpro Install Edits

doksinc

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here is my experience with the install. I personally had issues with the modularity of the system components installation procedures. My thoughts were: "what if I need to exchange the Powerpro battery....then I have to disassemble the entire install?"
So this is what I came up with if it helps anyone. I used a 8x8x48 raceway trough (might want to check as a 10x10 would of probably installed better, your 2" knockouts will be close to edge on 8x8), I set this at 35 1/4" height. Just enough to slide the powerpro battery under after taking a couple screws off top. Marked the openings for the battery cables, moved battery out and used 3/4" knockouts for cables. Tried installing some 3/4" grommets, they will not allow the PowerPro battery connectors to slide through, removed. The battery connectors ride about 3/8" above the raceway, so all good.
For tip over/fastening concerns, I cut up the X brace that came with the order. Left the mounting bracket on the back of the battery and edited the brace with a cut-off wheel. There's a nice slot in top of mount bracket to slide through and secure to your wall.
Hope this helps everyone with ideas. Figure now, If I ever need to pull a component out...it's much easier now.
Critical load sub-panel now installed, moving circuits over little by little. Second PowerPro shipped out today!
Thank you to everyone here for all of the help!

UPDATE: If you choose to go this route....use a 1" knockout instead of 3/4". Much easier to install grommets and the amphenol connectors will pass through with ease. Rookie error for me as I had to remove to install my second battery with the ordered parallel cables from Signature.....
Not a fun day, should of just made the 1" knockouts instead of trying to make the install "pretty". You only need to do this on the battery cables, the ground and com ports can be 3/4".

IMG_4195.jpgIMG_4197.jpgIMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4201.jpgIMG_4204.jpgIMG_4205.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg

Last edited:
Looks cool. I’ve heard a lot about the painful servicing if you install the system as in the manual, but I can’t really visualize the problem. Is there a good video I can look at to see what gets blocked/mandated a bunch of unmounting?

Looks cool. I’ve heard a lot about the painful servicing if you install the system as in the manual, but I can’t really visualize the problem. Is there a good video I can look at to see what gets blocked/mandated a bunch of unmounting?
When I viewed the install on youtube, my initial thought was the most likely component that would need servicing would be the battery....on the bottom. So you'd have to disconnect the entire inverter and wiring in order to remove. This was just a solution that worked for my situation. I've sure others have encountered the same, this was my work around.

When I viewed the install on youtube, my initial thought was the most likely component that would need servicing would be the battery....on the bottom. So you'd have to disconnect the entire inverter and wiring in order to remove. This was just a solution that worked for my situation. I've sure others have encountered the same, this was my work around.
Which install video did you look at, one of the official EG4 ones?

Yeah multiple people here have complained about this issue

Which install video did you look at, one of the official EG4 ones?

Yeah multiple people here have complained about this issue
Yes, official EG4 install videos. Don't get me wrong, this system is working seamless. My first entry into solar as a DIY install and I couldn't be happier with the results. Hopefully the system remains without issues for a long time. I think folks that install the way the manual suggests will not like the process if something goes wrong with the battery.

This line of batteries along with the rack mount version seems to be way more reliable than the average so I don't have concerns about it.
However it would be nice if you could just slide the battery out but I don't see a way that can be possible unless you go with a EB cube type system.

Another consideration is whether the setup is UL9540 compliant after modifying for serviceability

Can the cover on the battery be popped off without unmounting it, to field service the battery?

Would a hydraulic cart be able to get in there properly to help unmounting those components individually?

Just to be clear. I made zero modifications to the battery housing. My side panels still install and remove as usual. I only removed the thumb screws that fasten down through the top for the side panels. The 4 screws that hold these on the side are still inserted after battery setup. If there ever is an issue with my battery, I can now simply disconnect and slide out without disruption of my inverter or wiring.

Back