diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

I've had the unit for over a week and no export is one of the things I've been testing.

"Fast zero export" is not yet functional currently, there is no change from it being checked vs not. I've also been working with SS support on this starting mid last week. I definitely have export for short periods of time even with checked. From SS: " I spoke with some of our R&D guys and evidently, this is an issue that EG4 is currently working with the manufacturer to resolve (I believe through firmware)."
I have full confidence this can be solved through firmware. But I'd suggest if it's a hard requirement for you, hold off a bit before purchasing.

Overall the unit is working great, and personally I'm quite happy with it. I have a net export agreement though.

I'm still doing some changes to my install before I show off more.

Here is a day where I net zero'd export. Up till just after 10:00 I had it charging batteries before exporting, then changed it to only charge when solar crossed my net export agreement (7.5kW or so)
1685469689995.png
Here is what I did yesterday. I've got my batteries disconnected currently while moving around the install
1685469752842.png

I have 600kWh through it so far. Might set it up off grid later today and do some load testing (I've been saying that for a week though)

The import from the grid (based on the monitoring) seems to come when a large load first kicks in on my main panel, until the solar and/or batteries can adjust for the large increase (usually within seconds).
And the loss of a large load requires the same adjustment time. Which is why there is some minimal export.
Most units deal with this by drawing a constant amount from the grid as a buffer.
Not sure if that's a possibility for this one.

I've had the unit for over a week and no export is one of the things I've been testing.

"Fast zero export" is not yet functional currently, there is no change from it being checked vs not. I've also been working with SS support on this starting mid last week. I definitely have export for short periods of time even with checked. From SS: " I spoke with some of our R&D guys and evidently, this is an issue that EG4 is currently working with the manufacturer to resolve (I believe through firmware)."
I have full confidence this can be solved through firmware. But I'd suggest if it's a hard requirement for you, hold off a bit before purchasing.

Overall the unit is working great, and personally I'm quite happy with it. I have a net export agreement though.

I'm still doing some changes to my install before I show off more.

Here is a day where I net zero'd export. Up till just after 10:00 I had it charging batteries before exporting, then changed it to only charge when solar crossed my net export agreement (7.5kW or so)
View attachment 151153
Here is what I did yesterday. I've got my batteries disconnected currently while moving around the install
View attachment 151154

I have 600kWh through it so far. Might set it up off grid later today and do some load testing (I've been saying that for a week though)
FAST ZERO EXPORT, is for faster sampling of the ct to minimize exporting.
if you do not want to export, please make sure uncheck Export to Grid or (Feed In Grid) and check Zero Export.
any true hybrid inverter will never be perfect not to export to the grid, unless you disconnect it from the grid.
The good thing about being connected to the grid is that the grid will act like a transformer when there's a sudden high load or high imbalance load between the two legs of the inverter.

FAST ZERO EXPORT, is for faster sampling of the ct to minimize exporting.
if you do not want to export, please make sure uncheck Export to Grid or (Feed In Grid) and check Zero Export.
any true hybrid inverter will never be perfect not to export to the grid, unless you disconnect it from the grid.
The good thing about being connected to the grid is that the grid will act like a transformer when there's a sudden high load or high imbalance load between the two legs of the inverter.
A) It's impossible to check "Fast zero export" while grid export is checked, or a number other than 0 in the grid sell back field.

B) I don't think "minimize" as you state is compatible with the language in the manual.

1685502310711.png
Regardless, SS has acknowledged there's an issue so I hope to see a new firmware out soon.

A) It's impossible to check "Fast zero export" while grid export is checked, or a number other than 0 in the grid sell back field.

B) I don't think "minimize" as you state is compatible with the language in the manual.

View attachment 151190
Regardless, SS has acknowledged there's an issue so I hope to see a new firmware out soon.
Im just trying to help, i know mine is the first generation and its been almost 8 months, but the software is similar. If you really understand the manual, the Fast Zero export doesn’t make the inverter not to export, it is the Feed-in Grid (export to grid) must be unchecked.
Also theres an option to adjust the ct up to +90watts so your inverter always take power from grid and will never export. This can be done by asking your distributor or SS….

Last edited:
In my area utility has switched out meters to smart meters which show any exported back to grid on the meter.

Edited to correct mistake. edit is BOLD

asking for a friend......

If this inverter was connected to the load panel through the load connection, and the main breaker on the load panel is off, it will run the loads on that panel.

IF the main breaker got turned on, would the inverter sense this and stop pushing to the panel?

MPP 6048 will do this.

The hypothetical reason I am asking is this:

Until my friend get his net metering, etc in place, he may want to use the 18 to power the whole home with solar and batteries, but should the batteries drain down too low, he would like to restore power to the home without having to turn off the breaker from the 18, so as to not have to reset all the clocks, etc in the home and listen to his wife bitch at him about his experiments and how much of a PITA he is.

Last edited:

If this inverter was connected to the load panel through the grid connection, and the main breaker on the load panel is off, it will run the loads on that panel.

IF the main breaker got turned on, would the inverter sense this and stop pushing to the panel?

MPP 6048 will do this.

Until my friend get his net metering, etc in place, he may want to use the 18 to power the whole home with solar and batteries, but should the batteries drain down too low, he would like to restore power to the home without having to turn off the breaker from the 18, so as to not have to reset all the clocks, etc in the home and listen to his wife bitch at him about his experiments and how much of a PITA he is.

I'm going to be testing this on my system this weekend so unless someone else has already tested this, I should have an answer for you in another day or two.
My system runs both a critical loads panel via the load connection with a main panel (with some larger loads) connected via the grid connection. I'm running it on-grid all week but I'm going to test to see if it just feeds the critical load panel or if it will feed the main panel too if the grid breaker is turned off (simulating grid down). My CTs are between the main breaker and the meter.

Going to also simulate grid coming back after by turning the main breaker back on.

I'm going to be testing this on my system this weekend so unless someone else has already tested this, I should have an answer for you in another day or two.
My system runs both a critical loads panel via the load connection with a main panel (with some larger loads) connected via the grid connection. I'm running it on-grid all week but I'm going to test to see if it just feeds the critical load panel or if it will feed the main panel too if the grid breaker is turned off (simulating grid down). My CTs are between the main breaker and the meter.

Going to also simulate grid coming back after by turning the main breaker back on.
Yeah, my friend is running dumb, no CTs right now. Only connection is load to the panel. Just realized I said "grid" in original post, I meant "load"

If this inverter was connected to the load panel through the grid connection, and the main breaker on the load panel is off, it will run the loads on that panel.

Is the inverter input and output from the same load panel? If yes this is a big no unless you put a interlock bypass. A simple Diagram would be nice if you can provide.
OFFGRID MODE: if the inverter off-grid output is ON under advance, the inverter will always provide power until battery cut off.
On GRID MODE: the inverter will go to bypass mode and use utility power if the inverter reach battery cut off..
if it set correctly the inverter will act like a grid tie inverter and push power through the grid input of the inverter to zero out the load if the ct is install between the main service breaker and utility meter..
MPP 6048 will do this.

Is the inverter input and output from the same load panel? If yes this is a big no unless you put a interlock bypass. A simple Diagram would be nice if you can provide.
OFFGRID MODE: if the inverter off-grid output is ON under advance, the inverter will always provide power until battery cut off.
On GRID MODE: the inverter will go to bypass mode and use utility power if the inverter reach battery cut off..
if it set correctly the inverter will act like a grid tie inverter and push power through the grid input of the inverter to zero out the load if the ct is install between the main service breaker and utility meter..
I put wrong info in orignal post. Only connection is load to panel, nothing connected to grid.

Basically, I had my mpp 6048 hooked up to load and it was hooked to main panel. Turn off main breaker, turn on breaker to MPP, turn on MPP. It fed the panel. If I flipped the main breaker on, the MPP would stop feeding and show an error. (desired state)

My question is will the 18 do the same thing, i.e. sense that there is voltage on the panel, and stop feeding.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 29
Basically, I had my mpp 6048 hooked up to load and it was hooked to main panel. Turn off main breaker, turn on breaker to MPP, turn on MPP. It fed the panel. If I flipped the main breaker on, teh MPP woudl stop feeding and show an error. (desired state)

My question is will the 18 do the same thing, i.e. sense that there is voltage on the panel, and stop feeding.
Make sure you turn off the inverter output breaker before turn on the main breaker input power of the load panel… most inverter will not like it or damage if it detects power on the output..

I would invest a 2pole breaker disconnect, like a AC disconnect between the main breaker and inverter output…
Final design is not this mess I am talking about. Final design is attached.

Attachments

• 273 CL ride SLD 5-24-23-2 redacted.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 132
Make sure you turn off the inverter output breaker before turn on the main breaker input power of the load panel… most inverter will not like it or damage if it detects power on the output..
Yeah, better safe than sorry, I'll, or I mean my friend, will deal with wife

Basically, I had my mpp 6048 hooked up to load and it was hooked to main panel. Turn off main breaker, turn on breaker to MPP, turn on MPP. It fed the panel. If I flipped the main breaker on, the MPP would stop feeding and show an error. (desired state)

That's not a good setup...sounds pretty risky. Definitely not going to test that out. (I would have to rewire my system to even try that but I'm not sure SS/EG4 will warranty it if the system fried due to having it setup like that and something going wrong.) Most likely will throw an error but I personally am not going to see if it does as it is not one of the setup designs in the manual.

Back