diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Does is have a dual battery input like solark? And if so, is there an efficient way provided to splice the inputs? Perhaps it’s in the manual somewhere. Haven’t seen it yet.

Does is have a dual battery input like solark? And if so, is there an efficient way provided to splice the inputs? Perhaps it’s in the manual somewhere. Haven’t seen it yet.
already paralleled... another thing we fixed that suddenly appeared in envy... you're welcome :)

already paralleled... another thing we fixed that suddenly appeared in envy... you're welcome :)
James your enthusiasm about this product is palpable. ? I guess I can’t blame you, you guys are starting to get in to the larger game here. And it’s exciting stuff.

How will it handle surge while loaded? Example - I'm running my electric dryer and washing machine at the same time, the washer is agitating which causes small surges when my well pump kicks on and pulls 37a / leg for under a second. These are the tests I want to see.
Will you be able to have full control and monitoring of the 12k with no internet connection, just a local network?

I'm very interested in this one and it looks promising on paper.
Reposted from the other thread.

Can you use it with a empty batteries or with just a very small battery in a grid connected system?

Grid connected - Zero export scenario?

Basically I want to offset my power use from my home - (most power usage is during the day) but I don't want to invest into a giant battery bank yet.

Can you use it with a empty batteries or with just a very small battery in a grid connected system?

Grid connected - Zero export scenario?

Basically I want to offset my power use from my home - (most power usage is during the day) but I don't want to invest into a giant battery bank yet.
yep, all that, manual is posted now too :)

In an ac couple system, grid down scenario, if I have a home standby generator, oes auto start work without having to disable Ac couple?

Does AC Bypass (Grid) of 200A mean that you can hook this up between grid and your main breaker, and if you're using > 12kW, it'll pull from the grid to make up the difference?

Does AC Bypass (Grid) of 200A mean that you can hook this up between grid and your main breaker, and if you're using > 12kW, it'll pull from the grid to make up the difference?
I’m curious of this as well. Does this have grid-assist or is it a grid-bypass like the 6500s?

I did not realize the 6500ex did not have grid-assist.
Unfortunately not. It can switch to bypass mode where all power will be drawn from the grid, but it cannot pull any excess needs from the grid while still supplying power from your batteries.

"Grid assist" is a Victron feature.
It allows you to set the amount of available grid amperage (shore power). And only allows the loads to draw that amount from the grid (shore power).
It does this by covering the overage with the inverter from the battery.

The feature provided by other grid-tied hybrid AIO's. Is a load sharing backup. It (the AIO) will do everything it can. And the grid will pick up the overage.

It's more of an inverter assist.

I have been using a Growatt 6k LF split phase for some time. It was cheap enough to start out with but it has grid assist to charge your batteries if they get low. I have it on a breaker so I can have it on or off. I guess bypass would due if batteries go low and loads needs to keep going. I have 1 6500ex new in the box. Haven't hooked it up, will need another to run split but not sure if I wont to buy another with the issues going on. Pretty much up in arms.

I don't know of any Growatt AIO that has "grid assist" (A Victron feature).
They all have a built-in transfer switch. That provides grid pass through and AC charging.

Think you said it best @timselectric. Only a few can do ‘inverter assist’ where both grid and battery (inverter) are powering loads in parallel depending on setting (Victron, Sol-Ark, Schneider, EG4 18k(PV), GSL, Solis)

Back