diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Think you said it best @timselectric. Only a few can do ‘inverter assist’ where both grid and battery (inverter) are powering loads in parallel depending on setting (Victron, Sol-Ark, Schneider, EG4 18k(PV), GSL, Solis)
Yes,
All In that list can do parallel load sharing.
But only Victron does "grid assist".
just trying to clear that up.
because , some people are confusing the terms.

Yes,
All In that list can do parallel load sharing.
But only Victron does "grid assist".
just trying to clear that up.
because , some people are confusing the terms.
What’s the difference? Seriously. I don’t know.
Seems synonymous load sharing / grid assist.

A use case for grid assist.
You only have 20a of shore power or generator available.
But your loads could get to 30a at times.
Victron grid assist can be set to only pull 16a from the grid. And add power from the battery when the loads are higher.
This keeps the source from being overloaded. But still allows you to get everything available from the source.
Perfect for when you want to use the RV parks power. And save your batteries.

How will it handle surge while loaded? Example - I'm running my electric dryer and washing machine at the same time, the washer is agitating which causes small surges when my well pump kicks on and pulls 37a / leg for under a second. These are the tests I want to see.
Will you be able to have full control and monitoring of the 12k with no internet connection, just a local network?

I'm very interested in this one and it looks promising on paper.

Reposted from the other thread.
The manual says:
1685072508644.png

It looks like it would handle the surges you describe.

Does AC Bypass (Grid) of 200A mean that you can hook this up between grid and your main breaker, and if you're using > 12kW, it'll pull from the grid to make up the difference?
That is the intent. The idea is that the inverter is between the meter and the main breaker box. Unless the grid goes down, this hybrid inverter runs in parallel with the grid (Both the grid and the inverter can supply power). If the inverter is not generating enough power, the grid will make up the difference. If the inverter is making more than the loads need it will back-feed the thread. If the inverter is set to zero export, it will generate just enough power to drive the current to zero at the point the CTs are hooked up.

When the inverter detects a grid failure, it will disconnect from the grid. At that point, the only power available to the loads on the output is the power from the inverter. For many households, the 12K (and the surge capability) will cover all the needs. However, some people may need to shed some of the larger loads in order to stay within the capabilities of the inverter.

In an ac couple system, grid down scenario, if I have a home standby generator, oes auto start work without having to disable Ac couple?
The manual says the Gen input is used for AC coupling. However, your question may be whether the Gen Autostart is still functional when the Gen port has been repurposed for AC couple.

That is a good question.... hopefully, someone from EG4 can answer. It seems to me that this is primarily a firmware feature so even if it does not currently work it would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks for following up. This is still on my list of candidates for the next upgrade but the Schneider system is still on top of the list. I'm all for new and innovating but trust tried and proven.
Schneiders XW Pro and the BCS make for a pretty nice setup. I like the flexibility of having the grid isolation relay in a separate box from the inverter.

Both units look pretty nice. Both have advantages the other doesn't

Hasn’t been many videos or updates for this inverter. Makes me believe something is going on, not in the good way.

It takes time for people to get them and install them guys. There is a flood on the way.
Any points you all want us to show soon from out test lab?
Difference in AC coupling of micro inverters with the LP:
Old school Enphase M series
Enphase IQ7 series
Enphase IQ8 series.
Other microinverter brands like Hoymiles ?
How do they co-operate during a power outage when hooked up to the Generator hookup of the LP ?
How well do they work with charging the batteries and listening to 1741 SA power reduction initiated by the LP when the batteries get full?

It takes time for people to get them and install them guys. There is a flood on the way.
Any points you all want us to show soon from out test lab?
@SignatureSolarJames , one thing I’d like to see is the unit powering a critical loads panel AND sending excess PV back to main panel but not allowing anything to flow past the CTs at meter. I can’t sell back in my location and would like to confirm that if batteries are full, PV can power critical and main. Totally understand this can be placed between meter and main panel but I would rather keep to traditional setup to when grid is down, non-critical loads are not consuming battery.

@SignatureSolarJames , one thing I’d like to see is the unit powering a critical loads panel AND sending excess PV back to main panel but not allowing anything to flow past the CTs at meter. I can’t sell back in my location and would like to confirm that if batteries are full, PV can power critical and main. Totally understand this can be placed between meter and main panel but I would rather keep to traditional setup to when grid is down, non-critical loads are not consuming battery.
Chris, this is how I have my unit setup. (Operating for just 1 full day so far.)
If there is sufficient PV, it will power the loads in both panels and then send excess to the batteries. At least that is how it has been working for the past 24 hours with my system the way I have configured it. I haven't had a chance to test it in a simulated grid down situation yet but will probably test that out this weekend.

As far as sending excess PV to the grid, from what I have seen on my unit so far, it is not 100% on ensuring excess goes out. I've had 0.1 kwh exported (as per the inverter stats) yesterday and so far 0.1 kwh exported today. I think they might need to do some more fine tuning on the zero export as even that small amount might trigger utility issues in some locations.

I think they might need to do some more fine tuning on the zero export as even that small amount might trigger utility issues in some locations.
That amount would trigger my Utility. They got triggered over a single day several months ago when I back fed about 300 watts for less than a minute.

Chris, this is how I have my unit setup. (Operating for just 1 full day so far.)
If there is sufficient PV, it will power the loads in both panels and then send excess to the batteries. At least that is how it has been working for the past 24 hours with my system the way I have configured it. I haven't had a chance to test it in a simulated grid down situation yet but will probably test that out this weekend.

As far as sending excess PV to the grid, from what I have seen on my unit so far, it is not 100% on ensuring excess goes out. I've had 0.1 kwh exported (as per the inverter stats) yesterday and so far 0.1 kwh exported today. I think they might need to do some more fine tuning on the zero export as even that small amount might trigger utility issues in some locations.
The smallest amount would trigger in my area. They have specific checks for this as we are not allowed to sell back and interconnect agreements do not exist. Wonder if some hall sensors on the mains would provide independent information on power direction.

The smallest amount would trigger in my area. They have specific checks for this as we are not allowed to sell back and interconnect agreements do not exist. Wonder if some hall sensors on the mains would provide independent information on power direction.
I'm working with James to hopefully troubleshoot this as I'm also concerned with potentially triggering my utility.
Hopefully it is just something with my setup and can be resolved quickly.

I'm working with James to hopefully troubleshoot this as I'm also concerned with potentially triggering my utility.
Hopefully it is just something with my setup and can be resolved quickly.
Are you sure your current clamps are the right way round as I have seen Will's video and the manual disagree on which way they should be.

Are you sure your current clamps are the right way round as I have seen Will's video and the manual disagree on which way they should be.
I followed the directions in the manual in which the arrows point towards the inverter (away from the meter to the grid).
They seem to be pointing the right way as I would think I would be seeing the export numbers would be much higher if not.
The import from the grid (based on the monitoring) seems to come when a large load first kicks in on my main panel, until the solar and/or batteries can adjust for the large increase (usually within seconds).

I might try changing the setting on the inverter which will allow you to reverse the CT direction to see if that changes things.
Another thing I'm waiting on James to get back to me on is if the CTs are on the wrong legs of the incoming, compared to how the grid lines attach to the inverter connections, if that will potentially cause the small export amount.

In my case so far, it is only a small amount. 0.1-0.2 kwh total over the course of a 24 hour day. But as some others have already experienced, that small amount can and will trigger issues with the utility if no interconnect is in place or available.

Back