diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Brightmount

JamesW

We bought a few of these mounts and for the price, I'm amazed. Can't wait to see their V3 (hopefully in the future). I was watching some videos on youtube and copied a setup for a temporary, portable mount solution. Then added wheels:

IMG_1262s.JPGIMG_1263s.JPG

I was not paying attention and picked up some panels that were almost 45" wide and would not fit the rails, so I bought some unistrut and mounted it. The width of the unistrut slot is almost perfect and if you compress the rails slightly, you get a perfect fit with the original mounting hardware (beware of joining dissimilar metals).

IMG_1265s.JPG

Last edited:
I wonder if any one has installed and has some pic's of the Chiko S-u2v 24 or 30 panel mount that SS is now offering?

I wonder if any one has installed and has some pic's of the Chiko S-u2v 24 or 30 panel mount that SS is now offering?

That is some sweet looking hardware. Maybe if the budget ever becomes agreeable .... :)

Over ten years ago, I paid $1500 per large pole mount that would hold 4 panels. Looks like things have come a long way since then.

Did you ever find anyone with the Chiko installed? Just saw it online, kicking around the idea of it
nop. I emailed the manufacture company and they responded to me. They would not give me a price and said SS was the only one selling these models for them. I probably would have bought one with the screw posts but not if no one had any info to share about them.

We bought a few of these mounts and for the price, I'm amazed. Can't wait to see their V3 (hopefully in the future). I was watching some videos on youtube and copied a setup for a temporary, portable mount solution. Then added wheels:

View attachment 179186View attachment 179187

I was not paying attention and picked up some panels that were almost 45" wide and would not fit the rails, so I bought some unistrut and mounted it. The width of the unistrut slot is almost perfect and if you compress the rails slightly, you get a perfect fit with the original mounting hardware (beware of joining dissimilar metals).

View attachment 179189
Hey I had this sort of idea in mind as well. WOW! I just didn't know what sort of wheels to settle on. Can you link to the wheel that you bought please?

nop. I emailed the manufacture company and they responded to me. They would not give me a price and said SS was the only one selling these models for them. I probably would have bought one with the screw posts but not if no one had any info to share about them.

Interesting. I'm not afraid of the price, just curious about the actual wind loading and snow load they can handle, and if there's any actual engineering behind it.

I was not paying attention and picked up some panels that were almost 45" wide and would not fit the rails,

Thanks a lot, appreciated! by anychance do you have a plan outline for what you did with the whole Rig or was it just "touch and go."

I started off looking to upgrade lead/acid batteries near the end-of-life on an old system. Looking to protect the elderly household from grid down situations. One thing lead to another and basically I discovered that an all-in-one removes all the hassle. When I saw the Arc-Sol had EMP hardening, that sealed the deal.

Folks, a (good) all-in-one does all the work for you. You need:

1. PV panels
2. all in one
3. battery storage

What could be easier? This is simple enough that most folk should be able to do this in their head. If I can, you can. It's really that simple. I recommend you stay far away from grid-tied systems. Just my .02. It would take a book to background that decision.

Time and experience will tell if I have chosen well with the brands.

I started off looking to upgrade lead/acid batteries near the end-of-life on an old system. Looking to protect the elderly household from grid down situations. One thing lead to another and basically I discovered that an all-in-one removes all the hassle. When I saw the Arc-Sol had EMP hardening, that sealed the deal.

Folks, a (good) all-in-one does all the work for you. You need:

1. PV panels
2. all in one
3. battery storage

What could be easier? This is simple enough that most folk should be able to do this in their head. If I can, you can. It's really that simple. I recommend you stay far away from grid-tied systems. Just my .02. It would take a book to background that decision.

Time and experience will tell if I have chosen well with the brands.
Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear enough, I meant Dimension layout of the mount

Just saw this thread and thought I would add.. I saw some other videos awhile back and came up with my own design using 2x 4x6x12' with one 2x6x12' cut in half and 4x 8" Powertech casters with the EG4 Brightmount. Has been working fine so far and have built 3. I stack some cinder blocks/bricks to stabilize under the back end of the 2x6's.

I attached my design setup as a PDF.

I have been strapping them to the ground with 16" anchors and tie down straps.

EDIT: Updated the PDF to be a little more detailed and include a parts list.

Attachments

• Solar EG4 BrightMount Base.pdf
    295 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Just saw this thread and thought I would add.. I saw some other videos awhile back and came up with my own design using 2x 4x6x12' with one 2x6x12' cut in half and 4x 8" Powertech casters with the EG4 Brightmount. Has been working fine so far and have built 3. I stack some cinder blocks/bricks to stabilize under the back end of the 2x6's.

What angle is the brightmount in for this pdf

thanks a lot for that

What angle is the brightmount in for this pdf
Well the one in the picture is the original Brightmount and can not be adjusted.. I believe it's 25o though. You can tweak the angle some with bricks under the front wheels and back "outriggers" as needed. Some of the areas I'm putting them are sloped.

When I put it together the two 6' outriggers are on the bottom and I secure them with angle braces, toenailed front then added the mending plates. Bolted on the wheels (bolts are 3/8" with washers for both wheels and mounts), flipped over and then put 3 1/2" deck screws in from the top.

Well the one in the picture is the original Brightmount and can not be adjusted.. I believe it's 25o though. You can tweak the angle some with bricks under the front wheels and back "outriggers" as needed. Some of the areas I'm putting them are sloped.

When I put it together the two 6' outriggers are on the bottom and I secure them with angle braces, toenailed front then added the mending plates. Bolted on the wheels (bolts are 3/8" with washers for both wheels and mounts), flipped over and then put 3 1/2" deck screws in from the top.
Do you think it would be feasible to run two of them opposing when oriented at the 45 degree mark with a similar structure Albeit slightly wider

Back