diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Brightmount

Well the whole reason I put them on wheels was so I could play around with the direction and angles myself.. I just got a full set of bifacial panels and am going to try them out in different orientations along with placing chipped marble as a base around them. I'd like to capture more morning and evening solar.

Thanks for the info @Nad. I’ve been debating on whether or not I want to build a frame to hold two of these mounts, on wheels so I can transport it/relocate it as needed
I have 7ft of width to worth with and I think at 45s I could make it work in opposing orientation but wasn’t sure.
Your pdf was the closest diagram to my idea

Well the whole reason I put them on wheels was so I could play around with the direction and angles myself.. I just got a full set of bifacial panels and am going to try them out in different orientations along with placing chipped marble as a base around them. I'd like to capture more morning and evening solar.

Just wondering why you left the 2 x 6’s @ 6 feet and not cut them down to 40”?

Do you find 4 casters enough? Any sag in the middle?

The new EG4 BrightMounts have adjustable positions 25, 30 and 35o.
Just wondering why you left the 2 x 6’s @ 6 feet and not cut them down to 40”?

Do you find 4 casters enough? Any sag in the middle?
I originally planned to use 3x 4x6x12' and there was going to be a 3rd 4x6 under the back with the middle 4x6 centered. During my first build I realized it was plenty stable with two, with or without panels. So I decided not to add the 3rd which saved money on not needing more casters and 4x6's..

So I decided to leave them as a sort of outrigger to help prevent any possible back tipping. I have put cinder blocks combined with bricks under them and it really helps to lock them in place.

I stood on the middle 4x6 beam and jumped around some and it was plenty able to bear my almost 200lbs no problem. The weight is also spread across the beam and the panels weigh about 200lbs. I originally planned to add another caster in the middle for the added support but decided it wouldn't be needed. Again, saving on cost. I also figured if I ever noticed any sagging then I would go back and either add a middle caster or place a cinder block.

The new EG4 BrightMounts have adjustable positions 25, 30 and 35o.

I originally planned to use 3x 4x6x12' and there was going to be a 3rd 4x6 under the back with the middle 4x6 centered. During my first build I realized it was plenty stable with two, with or without panels. So I decided not to add the 3rd which saved money on not needing more casters and 4x6's..

So I decided to leave them as a sort of outrigger to help prevent any possible back tipping. I have put cinder blocks combined with bricks under them and it really helps to lock them in place.

I stood on the middle 4x6 beam and jumped around some and it was plenty able to bear my almost 200lbs no problem. The weight is also spread across the beam and the panels weigh about 200lbs. I originally planned to add another caster in the middle for the added support but decided it wouldn't be needed. Again, saving on cost. I also figured if I ever noticed any sagging then I would go back and either add a middle caster or place a cinder block.

Any issues with wind moving the array, or tipping it?

Any issues with wind moving the array, or tipping it?
Not yet but I just put these together in the past few weeks. We have had some decent winds the past few days but not a real storm yet. Right now I have them tied down at each corner area with 16" ground anchors and a hooked tie down strap double wrapped around the 4x6. If something gives I think it will be the 16" ground anchors.

Not yet but I just put these together in the past few weeks. We have had some decent winds the past few days but not a real storm yet. Right now I have them tied down at each corner area with 16" ground anchors and a hooked tie down strap double wrapped around the 4x6. If something gives I think it will be the 16" ground anchors.
Is there reason you went for powertech wheels.? A lot of cheap amazon casters/wheels have these ridiculous claims about how many lbs they can handle I wonder if this a known reputable brand. Also I noticed yours is "sitting" on Asphalt, would you recommend anything different for something that will be "sitting" on grass?

Is there reason you went for powertech wheels.? A lot of cheap amazon casters/wheels have these ridiculous claims about how many lbs they can handle I wonder if this a known reputable brand. Also I noticed yours is "sitting" on Asphalt, would you recommend anything different for something that will be "sitting" on grass?
I found them at HomeDepot, well online. Read the reviews and seemed good. I ordered 4 to begin with to be sure before I ordered the rest and I am happy with them. I just put them together in my driveway.. now they are in dirt/grass (mostly dirt) and are fine. In fact, the first one I built is in a softer area and some of the wheels are sunk down about an inch or so.

Did you give any consideration to duck bill anchors?

Cinderblocks…. Needed?

Does anyone know the size of the EG4 base mounts (the part that the vertical and horizontal pieces bolt into and then gets bolted to the base)? My EG4 brightmounts are on order but I wanted to get started on the base. Thanks in advance

Back