diy solar

diy solar

How to Inverter to a wall outlet with inverter that doesn't have lugs?

You do not need 10/3 for a few outlets. 12/2 is all you need.
2-10' 12/2 cords with plug $25
1-25' 12/2 wire with no plugs $31 + 3 plugs @ $4
For a total of $35
Or I can get the heavy duty 12AWG in the garage and just cut the female end off.
Wire with a male and female plug on either end is basically and extension cord.
They are just cheaper no matter the size to have them pre made as is from the manufacture and cut the end off.

I'm looking for different options than just running wire with a plug on it. I prefer DIRECT connection.

Last edited:
The Renogy 2000w has lugs.
Does this trailer have existing outlets?
On the AC side? I checked the website and I don't see them and some block with letters above it.
I just went ahead and bought the other last night.
Should all be here by the 5th. Battery 6-10.

No it just has a small light on the roof.

Correct its behind that block. The letters are N G L for neutral ground and line. They should advertise that feature better.
So is that for connecting wires to send to a bus? Although what size as well.
It looks like a cover for something. Any I looked at "look" like they might allow wires to be connected but they are so small.
If it is and had I known. I would have gotten that.
Internet sales is taking away from the ability to look at all the features and make better informed decisions.

I was looking at the Eco worthy all in 1 but it doesn't show connections they only have to little or to big.
I could go with an Eco complete set but the bougerv panels are more compact.

So is that for connecting wires to send to a bus? Although what size as well.
It looks like a cover for something.
Its just a cover so a person or metal tool doesnt touch the lugs.
Pretty sure you remove the cover, hook up your wires, put the cover back.
In terms of wire size its the same everyone keeps telling you. 14awg will work. 12awg is the better choice.

My first camper build I had an inverter that powered the outlets. It was isolated from the roof Air cond and from the propane fridge. It worked on switches that allowed gen, shore or inverter power.
For the inverter part I mounted the inverter under the bench, plugged a plug into it (made my own using electric wire). I ran the hot wire through a toggle A/B switch that would toggle between the circuit breaker panel or the inverter. (The circuit breaker panel had set-up to toggle safely between shore and generator). So, if there were another source of power plugged in (gen or shore) the outlet would still only work with whatever was switched on, not what was plugged in necessarily.
The outlets actually went through a power strip that could trip, so that added a little more safety.
IDK if this was up to code or how safe or not safe it was. The hot wire was isolated, not the ground or neutral, but it worked for a very long time with no issues.
Using extension cord-type plugs was fine and safe for what I did. There was no need to "hard wire" anything to the inverter.

The isolated items were isolated from the inverter because they were powered from the circuit breaker, which was not powered up when the inverter was on because of using the toggle switch that disconnected the link between the outlets and the circuit breaker (and connected the outlets to the inverter when on the B side of the toggle - the A side being the breaker box).
The circuit breaker would in turn send power to the toggle switch witch sends power to the outlets that you would want powered by the inverter.

In my case the air cond outlet (actually hardwired) and the fridge outlet did not ever get inverter power bc they needed too much power and when not on shore power I use propane for the fridge and use a generator for the air cond. It was possible to use shore power or gen power for air cond and fridge while at the same time using inverter power for the outlets. Just flipping the toggle from A to B isolated the hot wire from inverter or breaker box.

Of course the breaker box ground and neutral wires were wired directly to the outlets and to the inverter ground and neutral, so all that was connected all the time.

Thats a long answer to say, yea, just use your extension cord idea.

Now that I think about it, I probably shoulda not have used a toggle switch, but rather a relay switch as the toggle could have become hot, or might have been always hot. I think it was designed to not conduct electricity from the wires to the toggle, but a relay would def not do this.

Last edited:
In terms of wire size its the same everyone keeps telling you. 14awg will work. 12awg is the better choice.
This says Hook up the wire you feel you need
This says Hook up the wire and it may or may not fit but it's an mppt for DC current. I need after the inverter for AC

In terms of wire size. I didn't ask what size. I asked if there was an inverter that I can direct wire into. If so which 1 can you suggest because I don't see it.
Everyone else told me to get an extension cord, make 1, or even concerned about the inverter brand itself.
Inverters come with a few outlets but I was wanting to put the inverter in a corner and run wires to an outlet.
Are there inverters with lugs to connect wiring.
It seems some are questioning the inverter itself.
Q1. Is the inverter I have not capable of running the power for the setup? If no what do I need to look for in an inverter.
Q2. Is there an inverter that has lugs or lugs and 1 outlet option? If yes please forward to suggestions of inverters of varying price or search terms so I can look through options.

Someone please answer both questions separately.
As such. As shown here (Yes I know DC side but this what I want to do out the AC side) "irect wire" No 12 or 14 will not work. I want to run about 50-60A Therefor I will need 6AWG wire.

I even stated somewhere that I wanted 1 wire off the inverter then around the trailer to multiple outlets.
1 wire not 3. As well I am going to have something else connected to it. There for 4 things. 3 outlets does not work.
Before anyone says just get a power strip. No.
I am not talking about adding more appliances that need an outlet.

I prefer the hard wire but since I already ordered the inverter. I will have to use the extension cord.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
I'll get by it's ok. I was just hoping for a better prettier easier solution than running 3 wires.

Last edited:
I asked if there was an inverter that I can direct wire into. If so which 1 can you suggest because I don't see it.
I dont recommend the brand, but my 1000w Renogy has lugs. I looked up their 2000w model for you and saw it has lugs too. Its behind that cover that you noticed.

I dont recommend the brand, but my 1000w Renogy has lugs. I looked up their 2000w model for you and saw it has lugs too. Its behind that cover that you noticed.
That's why we need to get rid of amazon. It's ruining the educated buyer experience and putting people out of work.
It's just better than spending an entire weekend sitting in traffic driving to 5 different places for just a couple things at each place.
Most stores will just order it anyways but you don't get to see the product.

I didn't know. If you had come along earlier and said that. I would have rethought the purchase.

Back