diy solar

diy solar

My wife hates extension cords please help

Cptx

The easiest HOA approved location for me to install 2 series panels run to outside DC disconnect and 20amp DC breaker then drill a hole in the wall to pass PV wires into my Eco Flo Delta Pro was on a south facing roof above the master bedroom.

Yes, I did this when she was out of town six months ago…better to ask for forgiveness.

I have everything in the master bedroom (hardwood floors…no carpet) running off the Eco Flow AC outlet and extension cords.

Yes, she hates it.

What is the easiest option here?

I was thinking short spliced open extension cord from Eco Flo Delta Pro AC out to 12/2 Romex.

Run the 12/2 Romex in the wall and make new outlets labeled separate from the house grid so I don’t get confused which outlets are from the house grid and which are from the Eco Flo

Am I being stupid (again) ?

Is there a better way?

I did also consider making a separate outlet, then long running that outlet all the way to a separate new circuit breaker in the main circuit panel in the garage and then feeding the panel…..but I’m not sure the Eco Flo Delta Pro would sense if the grid is down…and of course I would not want to back feed the grid if it were to be down.

Last edited:
Yes, that last idea above (grid tie the EcoFlo) is not great and not my vision for the Eco Flow Delta Pro…it’s not what I had in mind and am planning a small four parallel panel low wattage micro inverter grid tie with the very little HOA approved (can’t see it from street) roof space I have remaining.

I have seen a work around for the plug Ecoflo into outlet problem with an AC outlet plug AC disconnect switch that does sense when the grid is down and shuts off that AC outlet when the grid is down (the specific name of that plug into outlet AC grid down disconnect escapes me at the moment)

Very awesome flanged outlet there.

I should clarify that the EF Delta Pro is inside the master bedroom…I put it behind a recliner…. But of course she can see the thick yellow 10AWG extension cord running off it that goes to a AC surge protector power strip under our bed.

I'm a hater of extension leads too.

But I'm a bigger hater of any form of energy storage bigger than a smartphone in a bedroom!! (and I think carefully about smartphones too, but mainly coz the ruddy things pling and ring at the most inopportune moments).

Even the very safe LiFePO4 can go wrong and let all that energy out when it shouldn't. If it should let go, you're not going to be posting here that you had a failure :(

you have a recliner in your master bedroom? Me thinks the problem lies in the fact that you are not using the bedroom for the correct purposes... move the recliner, get a larger bed and get to work there young man! she will not notice the cords if you apply yourself properly ;) (joke)

Hmmm, I had massive fun with my Korean ex on a recliner! Note that it was in the lounge mind!

Let's not lose sight of my earlier post - Energy storage in a bedroom????
I'm still trying to reconcile this statement with your tagline: "I don't want to know why you can't. I want to know how you can!"

I have never heard of LiFePO4 batteries becoming bombs. Do they? I used to have FLA batteries in my bedroom--never had any major troubles, but I did notice some off-gassing on rare occasions during charging (nasty H2S). Best to keep those in a well-ventilated area. LFP batteries are not in the same category, though.

Very awesome flanged outlet there.

I should clarify that the EF Delta Pro is inside the master bedroom…I put it behind a recliner…. But of course she can see the thick yellow 10AWG extension cord running off it that goes to a AC surge protector power strip under our bed.
Perhaps go with a more neutral color like white, black or brown? They make things to hide extension cords also you might look into.

You can not connect to your Main panel to power circuits from the Eco-Flow without having a transfer switch or breaker interlock installed. It is not a matter of the grid being up or down since these power boxes do not allow for grid parallel operation.

Back