diy solar

diy solar

My AGM battery is never getting charged with more than 12Amps in my RV solar setup.

You know, when i am proved wrong or post something that is pointed out to be misleading, I go back and correct my shortcoming or error. I'm not interested in being right all the time or the first one to post an idea, but i am interested in learning and correcting my errors so others are not misled by my mistake or ignorance. Get off the pulpit or stump and help others learn. Unless you are a preacher or politician.

Yes, indeed. People also need to realise that a one-size-fits-all solution may actually not fit all. It's a big world.

Please. Everyone.
Argue a point, not a member. Everybody is fully entitled to their opinion.
Saying derogatory statements about a member isn’t allowed.
Calling out an idea is fine, just don’t make it personal.
Anybody and I mean ANYBODY (yes, including us mods) picking on a member in a thread will be dealt with.
Disagree as much as you like about a topic, or a solution, but don’t try and change a members mind. Sometimes, all you can do is present the info, and leave it. Some people just can not see the Forrest for the trees.

That the Tracer does crank out 24 amps with water cooker on suggests that, unfortunately, your battery is likely damaged and simply can't sink all the current the Tracer can supply.

I started re-reading the thread and only now I understand what you meant with above quote. I misinterpreted it initially.

Here's the thing.....

As long as I have had this battery, it never got a higher than 12A ish charge when not under load. Not by the Victron Multiplus and not with the Tracer 4215BN. Charging up to 24A only occurred when under load.

So I'm wondering, has this battery been sub-par all the time? I mean, since I got it from the store. Especially since this battery is a replacement for the first one that was completely faulty (same batch?). Iow, it never seemed to be able to sink all the current the Tracer can supply..

I'm asking because all this time, since the installation of this solar setup, I've been under the impression that something wasn't quite right.

Last edited:
Is it getting to the voltage setpoint? I kinda have the issue too where I see the panel voltage and know it could be charging at a higher rate but wont and it is in bulk phase. But not as severe as only using half solar capacity.

Last edited:
As long as I have had this battery, it never got a higher than 12A ish charge when not under load. Not by the Victron Multiplus and not with the Tracer 4215BN. Charging up to 24A only occurred when under load.

That's why I recommended this back on the first page:

Your CC is rated for 150v PV input. I would try hooking your panels in series for a ~58v feed to the MPPT, it may greatly appreciate the overhead. It won't fix your bad battery, but it may fix the cause of the bad battery....if lucky.

It's a longshot but it wont take long or a cost a penny to try. Either the battery was always bad or something is wrong with the installation, panels or CC...

12a is probably about normal for the Multiplus...but you should be getting more from your solar CC.

Is it getting to the voltage setpoint? I kinda have the issue too where I see the panel voltage and know it could be charging at a higher rate but wont and it is in bulk phase. But not as severe as only using half solar capacity.
The Tracer is getting to 14.7v if that's what's meant with voltage setpoint.

That's why I recommended this back on the first page:

It's a longshot but it wont take long or a cost a penny to try. Either the battery was always bad or something is wrong with the installation, panels or CC...

12a is probably about normal for the Multiplus...but you should be getting more from your solar CC.

I might just try that then.

Back