diy solar

diy solar

Where to build my first system? Open to all suggestions.

WorldwideDave

I have unique set of challenges.

I have an office I am renting. It has a good size driveway and a garage I can use. The office is above the garage.

I also have a home that I do not anticipate living in for more than 5 more years. I can park on the street 6 days a week, but one day I cannot park next to my house. I have no driveway and no garage.

I do not have another house or vacant land that I can do solar on. What I have above is what I have available to me.

In the office I am renting, I can run extension cords everywhere. I can even put some things on the roof, but there is risk of being caught. I can hang some things off the side of my deck and probably be okay, and I could construct a free-standing structure on the deck I suppose.

in the house I sleep at, I cannot do much of anything without my nosey rich celebrity neighbors complaining, suing, or reporting me to the code enforcement officer to come by for an inspection. During the pandemic I converted my garage into a home office, and there was a ruckus. the code enforcement officer slapped a note on my house, they came in, saw there was no plumbing/bathroom/water added, did not care, and left. But the fact that I was allowed to do it pissed off the neighbors. Either way, here I am in that office, but anything like roof panels (I have the only one story house left in this town of McMansions) or a free standing setup in the backyard is likely to create problems for me.

An off-the-wall option I thought of: Build a trailer with batteries and panels on top, use the best quality entry glands and those great marine 'shore power' or RV outlet things on the side, and use the trailer to power various loads.

of course I could do the 48v battery+cart that will suggestions (EG4 + battery + extension cord). Battery location and inverter (all in one or otherwise) is not as much of an issue as where to put the panels.

i was thinking throw it all in the trailer, use at apartment (I can sneakly run extension cord into the garage, and then up into the apartment), and then when its time to move on/out, unplug extension cord, bring cart home, and play with stuff at my other house. I would then have the option of just a cart with panels, no batteries or invert. Hmmm.

I am on a budget. Everything looks expensive.

If I did an enclosed trailer with batteries and inverter and panels, wouldn't I need to keep the trailer cool? I would think an enclosed would get hot. I could put small tiny windows that no one could crawl into on the sides saving the top for panels. I could probably get an old box-truck from the 60s cheap or an old u-haul truck and load the roof with panels too. Open to suggestions.

This is all so I can run A/C and other loads off grid as much of the time as possible.

The Idea of a trailer makes perfect sense to me, but will the code enforcement goons just tell you to get rid of it? If they can't stop you from having a trailer I would go that route.

If you run a cord into the garage I would put an indoor outdoor carpet under the garage door and under the rear tires of the trailer, covering the cord so that a nosy neighbor couldn't see the cord, this should deter many potential complainers.

Make sure that the trailer is not able to be stolen easily as it may be targeted that way. Thieves like to cut holes in those and steal your stuff, but hopefully the busybodies will prevent the riffraff in your area.

You would want at least some fans to circulate air which should be easy enough.

Thank you. At my office apartment I will not be any problem. Or I have concerns is when I bring a trailer covered with panels and park it in front of my house. code enforcement might require me to move it every 72 hours which would become a real pain.

The Idea of a trailer makes perfect sense to me, but will the code enforcement goons just tell you to get rid of it? If they can't stop you from having a trailer I would go that route.

If you run a cord into the garage I would put an indoor outdoor carpet under the garage door and under the rear tires of the trailer, covering the cord so that a nosy neighbor couldn't see the cord, this should deter many potential complainers.

Make sure that the trailer is not able to be stolen easily as it may be targeted that way. Thieves like to cut holes in those and steal your stuff, but hopefully the busybodies will prevent the riffraff in your area.

You would want at least some fans to circulate air which should be easy enough.
If they can see value in it , they will try to steal it…do not underestimate their modern day boldness.
I have a similar trailer set up , ……I have adapted to being sorta not visable ….

A good inline fan move huge amount of air… AC Infinity is who I use …great stuff…super low power draw and many years of continuous duty…

Finally , concerning nosey neighbors , if you get grilled someday tell em you built it to charge phones and a computer..( they will think your an idiot and avoid you) …. or it got hit by lightning and doesn’t work anymore..
don’t trust civilians not to talk…..they always do.

Back