diy solar

diy solar

Where to place solar equipment on Fifth Wheel?

scarpenter002

I am in the process of installing my system on my fifth wheel trailer. I have fished the cables down from the roof to the basement and about to start the assembly process. Based on reading and watching other, I had originally planned to install all the components in my basement proper, which is heated, but watch a lot of recent installs, I have a seen a pattern of individuals installing it forward of the basement, in the compartment with the batteries. I currently have a lead-acid deep cycle, but will be upgrading to multiple AGMs. Will have various breakers, fuses, cutoff switches, battery monitor shunt, solar controller w/ Bluetooth attachment, cabling, etc... Eventually I will add an inverter/charger (Leaning toward the Victron Multiplus). I live in the south, and have NO plans to stay north for the winter.

So is it ok to have the entire system in the battery compartment or should I install in the basement? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Scott in Southeast Texas

Last edited:
my 2 cents: if you look at a lot of the RV blogs and RV forums it is absolutely common to find the inverter/batteries/SCC/etc all in the forward cargo compartment. Some PROS: you can have very short cable between battery bank to inverter. It is also close to the primary DC bus for the 5th wheel. the back wall is a great place to mount all the equipment out of the way. It is easy to put a pvc pipe thru the back cargo bay across the ceiling to the other side where the SCC cables and AC distribution box is located. (what I think of as a super highway). some CONS: a big FLA battery bank will take up a lot of your cargo space right in the middle. It isn't heated if you end up going to a LFP battery bank.
Again; just my 2 cents.

inverterbatterybox.jpg

Back