diy solar

diy solar

Wire ripped out of panel junction box

adirondack_wanderer

I ripped a wire (or lead) out of the junction box crimp. I'm not sure how to reopen the crimp so I can reinsert the wire. I tried sticking in a flathead screwdriver and twisting it and some needle nose pliers but it seems to agitate the thin metal that's actually connected to the panel and I'm afraid it'll snap. Any suggested tools or methods to reopen the crimp? If anything I think is a temporary measure I'm going to jam a piece of solid wire in the crimp and then connect it to the lead via levernut.

Open the junction box.
Carefully remove any potting material (like caulk).
Unscrew the old crimp lug.
Clean the mating surface.
Cut back the cable end. Strip.
Crimp new lug
Wipe with isopropyl alcohol.
Reattach with screw.

You cannot reinsert a wire into a crimp lug. That will never ever work.

Read your post again. You dont say SOLAR anywhere.
You could have attempted to answer the other questions asked.
You did nothing but make people not want to help you.
Some peoples kids, I tell you what!
Well he is in the solar panel section. And the thread is titled panel junction box.

But yeah, need some pics.

You cannot reinsert a wire into a crimp lug. That will never ever work.
Can't agree. I've worked on many crimped connections over the years that for one reason or other, couldn't be removed or replaced. Many ways to spread them, awl, screw, tools. When I couldn't recrimp them, solder usually works.

If there's a way to replace it, that's the best option. If trying to replace it may cause more damage, not always the best option.

Can't agree. I've worked on many crimped connections over the years that for one reason or other, couldn't be removed or replaced. Many ways to spread them, awl, screw, tools. When I couldn't recrimp them, solder usually works.

If there's a way to replace it, that's the best option. If trying to replace it may cause more damage, not always the best option.
If if he was able to pull the wire from the crimp, the crimp was bad in the first instance.

If if he was able to pull the wire from the crimp, the crimp was bad in the first instance.
Can't disagree. Has nothing to do with the ability to make it work. Again, if it's replaceable, replace it. If for some reason it's not, be it the type of connector and difficulty in finding a replacement, or what it would take to get to the connector to remove it, there are ways to make it work.

My dad grew up on a farm. MacGyver has nothing on farmers. They learn how to make things work. Maybe being taught by my dad makes me think the idea that a crimp can't be made to work is laughable. There are right ways, there are wrong ways, and there are the best ways in any give situation.

Read your post again. You dont say SOLAR anywhere.
You could have attempted to answer the other questions asked.
You did nothing but make people not want to help you.
Some peoples kids, I tell you what!
I did post this in the solar panel section. I wasn't familiar with "AC solar panels" and was asking for clarification but it seems to have offended you. I see now it's a regular DC panel with a microinverter on it - I wouldn't call it an "ac solar panel" but if that's an accepted term then good to know! I just put a jumper on it as a temporary measure and I'm pursuing a replacement via warranty.

OP - maybe you can flatten the crimp portion , drill and fit a screw and nut and with a ring lug on the cable end , if space allows.

Back