diy solar

diy solar

50-amp 48v RV Question

Axe21

I have a 5th wheel with a 50-amp shore power. I would like to install a 48v system using a EG4 6000XP Off-Grid Inverter. I was wondering if it would be possible to just route the wire from the shore power directly to the inverter and then from the inverter back to the fuse panel. In short, just inserting the inverter between the shote power and the fuse panel.

Yes, this would make the installation easier vs. adding a manual transfer switch also. You can choose between shore power pass through and inverter-battery power via the inverter control panel.

My concern would be with shore power that is not split for 240V operation. If you use the 30A adapter or a spot with older electrical you would only have single phase 120V. If the EG4 is set up for a single phase then it wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, that would be a legitimate concern. In that case it may be easier to get a separate battery charger that works with 120V and use it to just keep the batteries topped up while the inverter serves the loads.

I am still planning on having between 900 and 1200 watts of solar which should keep the batteries topped.

Thank you all for your input. Below is what I envision the system looking like does anyone see any issues that I should be concerned with?

Drawing 1.jpg

I am doing a very similar setup. The plan is to put a chargverter input in case I have a 120V feed or need to power it off the generator. I plan on starting a build thread soon. I do like the idea of a separate input for the inverter. Might be cheaper than running a longer length of wire depending on where I put the 6000xp.

Just plan on a lot of room for the 6000xp. This is something I didn't think of initially. Curious where you would put it. Pictures would be great.

Back