diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a decent inverter

French_guy

Hello
What would be a "decent" inverter in the 2,000W range? Not sure if I need modified or pure sine wave though
When I say decent, I mean a good compromise between price and quality/functionality
I don't want/need the top of the line that will cost an arm and a leg, but don't want either a cheap piece of junk
Thanks

Hello
What would be a "decent" inverter in the 2,000W range? Not sure if I need modified or pure sine wave though
When I say decent, I mean a good compromise between price and quality/functionality
I don't want/need the top of the line that will cost an arm and a leg, but don't want either a cheap piece of junk
Thanks
Are you looking for a 12v inverter? What are you looking to run with it?

Can you tell us more about the mission? Battery to inverter? Solar to inverter? Maybe both? 24 or 48 volt system? What type of loads if any are you looking to run?

Sorry, did not see your reply in time. This was on sale on Amazon for prime day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719-115553.png
    Screenshot_20230719-115553.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 26
That model pictured is a 1,000 watt inverter. You might look at Samlex or Xantrex inverters if you want a decent modified sine wave inverters. You might be able to get away with modified but will be better off with sine wave. Some electronics are fine on modified types but motors will run hotter

Hello
Thanks
What is a decent car to buy?

I'm sure 1000 people would answer this 1000 different ways.

Use is as important as value.

Runtime is critical to a proper answer.
A 100Ah battery won't last with a 2000W average generator alone running. Standby draw can empty the battery.

How will you be charging the battery?

What is a decent car to buy?

I'm sure 1000 people would answer this 1000 different ways.

Use is as important as value.

Runtime is critical to a proper answer.
A 100Ah battery won't last with a 2000W average generator alone running. Standby draw can empty the battery.

How will you be charging the battery?
Charging with a wall charger......Victron most likely. Solar might be an option, but later....not for now
Let's say my main application will be standby for a 12VDC sump pump. So no need for an inverter
But I would like to have one around - just in case - and at least to run some capacity measurement......I may not need 2,000W then. Maybe 1.500 max?

Charging with a wall charger......Victron most likely. Solar might be an option, but later....not for now
Let's say my main application will be standby for a 12VDC sump pump. So no need for an inverter
But I would like to have one around - just in case - and at least to run some capacity measurement......I may not need 2,000W then. Maybe 1.500 max?
For a situation like a sump pump, AGM batteries may be the best option, LiFePO4 batteries are not a good choice for sitting at full charge most of the time. I assume power outages are not that common.
Pump is 12v so no need for an inverter at all. or just to have and play with, pick anything online with decent ratings? on this forum @12VoltInstalls may have good experience and advice for you - may chime in shortly.
Charging with Victron - can't see how you can go wrong, they are considered top shelf here.

For a situation like a sump pump, AGM batteries may be the best option, LiFePO4 batteries are not a good choice for sitting at full charge most of the time. I assume power outages are not that common.
Pump is 12v so no need for an inverter at all. or just to have and play with, pick anything online with decent ratings? on this forum @12VoltInstalls may have good experience and advice for you - may chime in shortly.
Charging with Victron - can't see how you can go wrong, they are considered top shelf here.
Yes, I’ve read that AGM batteries are better for standby applications, and it was not worth paying the premium price of LFP in that case. But I’ve just ordered a Redodo 12v 100Ah for $255…… 2 x 6V GC2 210 Ah FLA at Costco are $240 and will require maintenance and venting, for the same capacity. And 2 x 12V AGM 100Ah will be around $400.
So I figured for $255, a LFP battery should work, even if not ideal for such application…..I was considering Victron chargers because they can maintain the battery (once fully charged) at a lower voltage….hope I understood correctly?
And as you said, an inverter would be more ”just to have and play with it”….I know I don’t need it for my 12 VDC sump pump

Last edited:
So I figured for $255, a LFP battery should work, even if not ideal for such application…..I was considering Victron chargers because they can maintain the battery (once fully charged) at a lower voltage….hope I understood correctly?
And as you said, an inverter would be more ”just to have and play with it”….I know I don’t need it for my 12 VDC sump pump
All the more reason to get a small inverter, maybe a couple of PV panels, and play around with the set up, allow the batteries to exercise up and down, and learn a few things along the way.
Maybe you will catch the 'Photon-Flu' as I did...

All the more reason to get a small inverter, maybe a couple of PV panels, and play around with the set up, allow the batteries to exercise up and down, and learn a few things along the way.
Maybe you will catch the 'Photon-Flu' as I did...
Exactly......to exercise the battery, I was thinking I could use the inverter to power the AC sump pump with a manual switch, and use it like that for couple days, then go back to grid power

Talking about inverter and the way to wire it to a battery......I understand I need to have a fuse on the positive between battery and inverter (and as close as possible to the battery)
For a 1,200W inverter, the max current will be 1,200/12 = 100A
And I've read the rule is to apply a 25% "safety factor", so I should use a 125A fuse.....Am I correct?
What are the recommended type of fuse by the way? and what wire size is recommended for such current: is it #4 AWG?

Talking about inverter and the way to wire it to a battery......I understand I need to have a fuse on the positive between battery and inverter (and as close as possible to the battery)
For a 1,200W inverter, the max current will be 1,200/12 = 100A
And I've read the rule is to apply a 25% "safety factor", so I should use a 125A fuse.....Am I correct?
What are the recommended type of fuse by the way? and what wire size is recommended for such current: is it #4 AWG?
Well, it gets a bit more complicated...
See, inverters have surge capability, and batteries drop in voltage under use, so amps can be more than double expected...
I prefer to size the wire for low voltage range, with a healthy surge of 100% oversize...
Keeps the cables cool, and prevents wasted watts resulting in inverter problems.
So I size the fuse to handle the maximum CONDUCTOR capabilities.

Well, it gets a bit more complicated...
See, inverters have surge capability, and batteries drop in voltage under use, so amps can be more than double expected...
I prefer to size the wire for low voltage range, with a healthy surge of 100% oversize...
Keeps the cables cool, and prevents wasted watts resulting in inverter problems.
So I size the fuse to handle the maximum CONDUCTOR capabilities.
So assuming the voltage goes as low as 10V, then it becomes 1200/10=120A
120 x 1.25 = 150A
Are you saying I should double the 120A and use a 240A fuse?

Back