diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a decent inverter

The HF 45 watt" starter set" of thin film panels used to be a good deal, even if they were crap panels. Solar panels now are cheaper, and HF isn't such a good deal.
Idk, their 100W panel is reasonable and decent... no way I'd recommend any of the multi panel kits tho...

Idk, their 100W panel is reasonable and decent... no way I'd recommend any of the multi panel kits tho...
The 100w mono panels we have regularly punch above their weight class, but at $130 on sale they're not worth it. As for the Fisher Price My First Solar kit we carry, I've been through 3 of them and some parts are still in use here and there, and they're good for the absolute beginner, but there's not a lot you can do with 30w which is about the best I ever saw out of a set and over priced. Our inverters are also over priced for what they are. About the only thing we carry that I actually would recommend are the battery cables.

The 100w mono panels we have regularly punch above their weight class, but at $130 on sale they're not worth it. As for the Fisher Price My First Solar kit we carry, I've been through 3 of them and some parts are still in use here and there, and they're good for the absolute beginner, but there's not a lot you can do with 30w which is about the best I ever saw out of a set and over priced. Our inverters are also over priced for what they are. About the only thing we carry that I actually would recommend are the battery cables.
I have a customer and he keeps telling me his sets are rated 200W across both of them...
I keep telling him, the reason the batteries won't stay charged is because he isn't getting much over 60W from them...
Oh well.

Maybe I'm late to the party but am I correct in thinking you work at Harbor freight?

Harbor Freight sells 3ft 2/0 wires......might go that route
I also see an Amazon some 1/0 wires, that can be 5/16 lugs both ends or 3/8 lugs both ends or a mix 5/16 and 3/8.......
What is the "standard"?
What is a regular sized window?
How big is a car?

I have a 2000W inverter with 10mm studs and my battery busbar is 5/16, battery bolts are 6mm

Standard is a range; you get what you need to fit. Or get 5/16” (common) and drill the couple you need for 3/8 if so. I have bought these and have been happy

Maybe I'm late to the party but am I correct in thinking you work at Harbor freight?
Well, up until 2 weeks ago when I collapsed in the truck and they had to remove part of my breastbone and vacuum the infection out of my chest cavity. I've been in the hospital since then.

But yes, once I can lift heavy things from the top shelf again I'll be working there. ;)

Well, up until 2 weeks ago when I collapsed in the truck and they had to remove part of my breastbone and vacuum the infection out of my chest cavity. I've been in the hospital since then.

But yes, once I can lift heavy things from the top shelf again I'll be working there. ;)
Yikes!! Good to hear you're going to survive. . I gotta say, I love going to Harbor freight. I really like the fact that their shelves are usually fully stocked and I don't end up disappointed because what I want is sold out.

Yikes!! Good to hear you're going to survive. . I gotta say, I love going to Harbor freight. I really like the fact that their shelves are usually fully stocked and I don't end up disappointed because what I want is sold out.
Something most people don't know is that you can always ask us when Truck Day is and get a rain check so if we get the thing you want on the next truck, we'll pull it out and stick your name on it before we start packing the shelves.

Something most people don't know is that you can always ask us when Truck Day is and get a rain check so if we get the thing you want on the next truck, we'll pull it out and stick your name on it before we start packing the shelves.
Cool didn't know that.

Hope the hospital stay is as short as possible. Good luck.

Holy crap. I’m glad you’re writing this
Other than the gaping hole in the middle of my chest with a shop vac attached, I'm fine. ;)

The weird thing is that I had one of those cases that all my doctors had heard stories of in med school but nobody even knew anyone who'd seen it happen. And no, it's not Lupus. ?

Back to the original topic though, Giandel and Wzrlb seem to be the top choices for that "Affordable" and "Reliable" overlap. The fact that more of the Wzrlb's have wire terminals gives them a slight edge for a lot of use cases, gets around that whole 15a limit on the plug issue.

I have a GenPower branded 240v/50hz 2000w 12v inverter from ebay. It's durable, I've had it for roughly 10yrs. It runs my 1400w circular saw, 265L fridge, 1800w demolition hammer .... but won't start a 1400w Gerni (water blaster).

If I had my time over, I would get the 2500w version.

Last edited:
Are modified sine wave inverters really bad for AC motors such as sump pumps?
I bought my first inverter in 1994….to experiment with..A 600 watt modified sine wave.
It was made by a company called Heart-Interface ( back then) It was not cheap…actually it was damn expensive.
I was never able to get it to run any type of printed circuit electric things…..nothing fancy at all ..all of them would just make awful clicking sounds…
I did get it to run a small heater briefly but that was it….
I do know it was a good company and good product.. but I didn’t know enough almost 30 years ago to know I dint know what I was doing..
I have always had sine wave since that costly experiment…..…
J.

I use one of these to run the air conditioner in my workshop off my dc stuff aka 12 volts.

Its 1000 watts and surges to 2000 watts. It's pure sine wave too. Very efficient from what I can tell. They make a 2000 watt version of it. Low idle consumption too since I can't tell much its on for the most part if its not running something.

The 1000 watt version I have is $144

The 1500 watt is $269

They have a 2000 watt that looks different for $301

I didn't see the 2000 watt one that looks like mine when I searched just now.

I use one of these to run the air conditioner in my workshop off my dc stuff aka 12 volts.

Its 1000 watts and surges to 2000 watts. It's pure sine wave too. Very efficient from what I can tell. They make a 2000 watt version of it. Low idle consumption too since I can't tell much its on for the most part if its not running something.

The 1000 watt version I have is $144

The 1500 watt is $269

They have a 2000 watt that looks different for $301

I didn't see the 2000 watt one that looks like mine when I searched just now.
Wow Impressive. That inverter powers your Air Conditioner? What Air Conditioner model are you running from that inverter? (Curious)

Back