diy solar

diy solar

Santan solar deal

Got a call back today but ignored call and didn't check vm till later.

I'm so dumb I thought the company name "Inxeption" was pronounced "In Exception"

It's Inception.

I too got a call, but was busy at work and couldn't deal with it at the time. Be interested to see what you guys hear back.

I was at santan solar a while ago. Their method of testing is usually testing a bunch of panels in 1 string (using a clamp meter). Which is why we get dud / half dead used panels.

Mostly junk panels right now in santan's sidewalk sale, I think.
"If you want good fresh oats ..."

Santan has had some good prices for brand name panels, but if a small lot the shipping does raise cost per watt. Better deal for multiple full pallets.

I did get a couple pallets of 370W from Inxeption last fall. $0.17/W advertised price, came to $0.19 with California sales tax and fees.

Later Inxeption had a different one for $0.13/W but I'm stuffed, can't take any more.

I was at santan solar a while ago. Their method of testing is usually testing a bunch of panels in 1 string (using a clamp meter). Which is why we get dud / half dead used panels.

They claim wattage measurements. Do they only measure Isc?
(and in a short-circuit string, you can have some panels not putting out much current, just bypass diode activating, won't see anything wrong.)

They claim wattage measurements. Do they only measure Isc?
(and in a short-circuit string, you can have some panels not putting out much current, just bypass diode activating, won't see anything wrong.)
just want to start I brought that up because of this guy's post: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/f...-phase-inverter10kw.81377/page-4#post-1057714

I also have his tester. I got mine on aliexpress for $50. It's way better than any multimeter I have and I couldn't possibly get all of that info accurately from a clamp other than "close to it"

I brought the tester to santan solar, to return several panels. They were testing them "fine" or "good enough" on some of the ones I had brought there, others their testing was obviously bad (as some put out like 2 volts)

I had them replace all of them though because they weren't fine.. not at 80% of new output. They were like 130watts vs 250 watts new and the other used ones were 220-240

but yea they're literally only using clamp meter.
Their method is check the VOC which is put the 2 pins into the solar panel
and check the current in short circuit which is short the panel terminals out and put the clamp meter on them. (they don't do this when new(used) panels come into the lot, only for returns)

removed last bit of info don't want to get anyone at santan in trouble

Last edited:
Just build the whole barn out of panels
I’m actually thinking of doing a greenhouse roof out of my extra bifacial panels, think it would work out perfect . I don’t need the extra energy from the other side of the panels but the light transmission should be perfect.

Not worth buying junk panels at 10 cents/watt when nearly 2x efficient and ~3x power output panels can be had for 25 cents/W. Installation and space requirements become not worth the trouble unless you lay them flat on the ground and don't care what happens to them. I realized it when looking at what my friend had to deal with. He would've been better off with 10x 450W new panels in single row instead of 20x 240W (more like 220W) in 2 rows.
IMG_7086c.JPG

Last edited:
The question for me is whether it is worth getting SunPower, REC, QCell used, for the same $/W as new panels of other brands like Gstar, NE Solar sold by Inxeption.

Those are more apples to apples in terms of efficiency (wattage per unit area), so more a question of quality and degradation rate.

The question for me is whether it is worth getting SunPower, REC, QCell used, for the same $/W as new panels of other brands like Gstar, NE Solar sold by Inxeption.

Those are more apples to apples in terms of efficiency (wattage per unit area), so more a question of quality and degradation rate.
No love for silfab ehh? Hah

I don't know.

I'm just a snob. For whatever I already have. Be it SMA or StatPower, Fluke or Harbor Freight.
And of course Pete's coffee.

Back