diy solar

diy solar

Solar "Kit" - Realistic Installation Cost?

markpj23

One of the main factors (to me) in the solar equation is the cost of installation for a grid-tied system. Since FL requires these systems to be installed by a licensed contractor, is it realistic to think I can save money purchasing a kit system and hiring the installation?
For example - this seems a reasonable price ($15k +/-) but how much should I expect to have to pay for installation?

Complete Hybrid Solar Kit - 8,000w 120/240V Output + 20.5kWh Lithium Powerwall + 10,920 Watts of Solar PV | [KIT-E0004]​

Where I live it costs $0.17 per kwh. House is getting a new roof this week, so the timing is about right.

I would expect it to be difficult to get anyone to install a system you buy.
For one, companies specialize in certain brands and have experience with them.
For another, they get markup. And another, wouldn't want to be responsible for damage to your materials.

I think your best bet would be to find a cooperative electrical contractor (or whatever discipline(s) are allowed to do the job in FL), and make a deal where you do all the labor of panels, batteries, etc. and they make AC electrical hookup. Maybe they let you do that, but any way they are putting their name on your workmanship, so not all would go along with it.

Certainly all needs to be UL listed.
You might have them install a stripped down system (e.g. hybrid inverter with PV but no battery) and you add on later.

Back