diy solar

diy solar

Back feed for snow melting?

cmack

Snow is really killing my solar buzz. Is it possible to back feed into the panels to heat them up without creating a fire hazard? Or any other solutions aside from a brush? My roof is way too high for me to reach so I need to find another solution!

Gardening hose with warm water?

There are protective diodes that will bypass the panel if there is current in the forward direction. And the cells themself act as a diode in the other direction. So if you apply forward current - it will bypass the panel and if you apply reverse - it will not flow.

With proper installation, snow should not be an issue. If it is an issue for you it is likely that your panels are a bit too horizontal.

Gardening hose with warm water?
I tried the hose idea! Even standing on a ladder, I couldn't reach them with enough water to make a difference.
With proper installation, snow should not be an issue. If it is an issue for you it is likely that your panels are a bit too horizontal.
My roof is actually quite steep. On regular snow days, it does tend to slide off on its own. We recently got a dumping of 25-30" so they didn't see the sun for over a week. Luckily we got some warm weather for a couple weeks so it's all gone now, but I don't really want to rely on luck.

Um, snow will stick to panels at the correct solar angles very easily. Heck, snow will stick to vertical things too (look at road signs that are facing the prevailing winds when a snowstorm hits).

You could theoretically push a DC voltage approaching Voc to cause current to flow through the full cell inherent diode warming up cells. You would have to ensure you don't overdo it with the current but should be fine if you don't go much higher than Isc rating of panel.. Realize a panel open unloaded in full sun has the Isc current shunted down the inherent PV cell body diode so the cells can take the current flow.

Trick is as you melt the ice/snow off panel, the illumination current starts to add to any forced current you apply so forced current needs to back down to prevent too much dissipation in PV cells. The actual weak link is the cell surface current collector metal runners, not the silicon cell itself.

Also takes a lot of power so not very efficient.

With thick snow you may melt snow directly against panel creating a cavity between panel and surface thick snow buildup. Hopefully at some point all the built up snow just slides off the panel once base snow against panel surface melts.

A safe approach would be to force a current at a lower percentage of Isc. In the winter months with low sun angle above horizon it is unlikely full illumination will come anywhere close to rated Isc of panel so illumination current plus forced current should be safe.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. I wonder if it would be enough to keep the entire panel warm or just the edges? I may have to experiment with that.

It's interesting but in really cold temps I wonder how well it would work being exposed? I believe it works pretty good if it's insulted for keeping pipes from freezing.

I'd like to use it as deicing cable for my mini splits.

It has been done and it takes a LOT of power. I tried it with panels near freezing with jst a dusting of snow. It became clear the power needed would not offset additional power gained. If on each panel one section of cells was isolated with an additional lead, clearing just a spot to have a small section of panel become exposed to start solar melting could be a possibility. This is a pipe dream.

It has been done and it takes a LOT of power.
What sort of power was required in your experiment?

Lets say 1 500w panel takes 5kwh to melt snowfall over a 5 hour period. That loss would be recovered with 10 hours of sun (realistically 20 hours factoring in tilt, exposure, etc). If the snow was not melted, that panel could stop producing for weeks.

I haven't tried melting snow, but I have tried backfeeding PV panels.
Every cell is a diode, and it operates forward-biased, not reverse biased.
One illuminated PV panel connected in parallel with one side a dark room didn't drive enough current to do anything interesting.
With two panels wired 2S placed in full sun, paralleled with a single panel in dark room, the current flowing through the dark panel was about 0.4 x Isc. In the case of my 165W panels, about 2A at 41V or 82W dissipated.

If you have a power supply to deliver Voc to your array or to a string, at 40% of rated wattage, that could work. (may be a tall order)

We do have to stop and think whether portions of the array could be damaged, especially when parts of the array clear as described by Efficient, resulting in power and temperature not being evenly distributed.

What sort of power was required in your experiment?

Lets say 1 500w panel takes 5kwh to melt snowfall over a 5 hour period. That loss would be recovered with 10 hours of sun (realistically 20 hours factoring in tilt, exposure, etc). If the snow was not melted, that panel could stop producing for weeks.

Save soot and apply to face of panels with a blower (to more efficiently absorb light)?

1670598331755.png

We do have to stop and think whether portions of the array could be damaged, especially when parts of the array clear as described by Efficient, resulting in power and temperature not being evenly distributed.
Maybe a dumb question, but during the meting process, would it help to shutoff the incoming PV?

never tested or experimented with this sort of thing.

heating up the dark edges of the panels seems somewhat promising too me in theory. melt only the snow on one edge, exposing dark metal. ideally sun would begin heating and melting more snow.

very interesting concept of automatically clearing snow with heat, but i have never heard of a working demonstrator.

good luck

Maybe a dumb question, but during the meting process, would it help to shutoff the incoming PV?
You would have to disconnect SCC PV input as it will likely react to the applied defrosting power.

A good comparison for given area is power used for auto rear window defroster. They are typically in 100 watt range.

Perhaps best to apply the Voc before sun-up hopefully to break the frozen layer bond to the glass, let the snow slide, power off as the sun rises, let the sun finish the job. I got a free CSI 440 bifacial half cut, I will set up a test. If it blows up, I loose nothing, it was replaced for minor shipping damage.

Bench source with voltage and amperage controls, have to check what i have to work with, compare to the panel spec (one panel for testing)

Save soot and apply to face of panels with a blower (to more efficiently absorb light)?
It worked excellent in my driveway a few years ago. I spread it around hoping for better traction with no idea how well it would melt the snow.

Once upon a time Midnite Solar had a snow melt feature in their charge controllers. Here's a short thread on it.

If I was needing to rely on my panels to be clear as much as possible I'd simply run some heat tape along the edges of the panels, or underneath them, or whatever tested out best, and then when they needed melted off I'd power it up to thaw things out.

This way it could be run at the same time the sun is shining and work in tandem with it.

Would be awesome if you could get panels with defrost grids built in, but that would probably be a cost up item that may or may not be worth it.

Back