diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000ex L1 L2 to ground imbalance ?

Murphyslaww

Connected the refurb 6000ex AIO I got from Signature Solar, and output L1 to ground is 109v, and L2 to ground is 131v. What would cause that?

I’m assuming it needs to go back. Wonder if that was the original problem as the system looks like it was dropped or something.

Hey Murphy,

A person I know dealt with a similar situation a while back, and in his case the building had loose/corroded connections. If possible for you, I'd check that before anything else.

Connected the refurb 6000ex AIO I got from Signature Solar, and output L1 to ground is 109v, and L2 to ground is 131v. What would cause that?

I’m assuming it needs to go back. Wonder if that was the original problem as the system looks like it was dropped or something.
If that’s on the AC out with no AC input, get that replaced or warranty work done. I think the 6000ex is the heavy unit with a transformer in it. Sounds like a problem with the transformer. I would not hook that up to any appliances.

If that’s on the AC out with no AC input, get that replaced or warranty work done. I think the 6000ex is the heavy unit with a transformer in it. Sounds like a problem with the transformer. I would not hook that up to any appliances.
It's on the AC out with no AC input, with 4x12v 200ah batts as power source. It wasn't my intention to add A/C input, as this is going to be fed by 3600watts of solar. My one concern is there is a note that the system has a 300ah minimum for battery input. I don't believe that wouldn't be causing this issue though ?

I'm getting this:
L1 - gnd 109v AC
L2 - gnd 131v AC
L1 - L2 239.9v AC
N - G 20v AC
L1 - N 120v AC
L2 - N 120v AC

We are intending to feed a Ford Charge station Pro with 12 amps only, so I have a sub panel wired with 10/3 cabling, which should be enough. When it was RMA'd previous to me, the sheet it came with said they upgraded the firmware to the new version that allows the neutral/gnd bond to be enabled/disabled via the software. I've tried with with it enabled and disabled, and see no difference. There is also no difference with the sub panel connected or not. Not sure why there would be, though.

Last edited:
Hey Murphy,

A person I know dealt with a similar situation a while back, and in his case the building had loose/corroded connections. If possible for you, I'd check that before anything else.
Building ? This isn't connected to A/C input or the building at all. This is on the AC output terminals not connected to anything. I have just a charged (53.5v) 200ah battery array attached.

Last edited:
It's on the AC out with no AC input, with 4x12v 200ah batts as power source. It wasn't my intention to add A/C input, as this is going to be fed by 3600watts of solar. My one concern is there is a note that the system has a 300ah minimum for battery input. I don't believe that wouldn't be causing this issue though ?

We are intending to feed a Ford Charge station Pro with 12 amps only, so I have a sub panel wired with 10/3 cabling, which should be enough. When it was RMA'd previous to me, the sheet it came with said they upgraded the firmware to the new version that allows the neutral/gnd bond to be enabled/disabled via the software. I've tried with with it enabled and disabled, and see no difference. There is also no difference with the sub panel connected or not. Not sure why there would be, though.
If only using for 240v charging, may be fine. Don’t run any 120v split phase out of that panel which you could since you ran 10/3 to panel. That voltage diff is really weird and would not have anything to do with battery capacity. Let us know how it goes.

Well, we've submitted a technical support request through SS's website. We'll see how long that takes for a response.

Now sent an e-mail as suggested to the sales e-mail, (and just now, the support e-mail just found) because, in the tech support section they suggest sending an e-mail, but don't appear to actually supply the e-mail to send it to...

Unfortunately, working with SS has put this youtube channel project with a couple sponsors about a month behind now (They also put the purchase on a credit hold for a week, due to different billing and shipping addresses, so we looked elsewhere, then came back). We've even got Ford Motor Company watching on the Lightning forums, but can't move forward. I'm not the most patient person with stuff like this mainly because I work in retail, for a pretty large company, and I know, even with our revenue, we wouldn't be this sloppy, slow, and un-customer focused, and expect to grow.

Last edited:
So, I’m guessing the 6000ex is not working entirely as designed with it’s relay based G/N bond, as I disabled it in the software, and added one in the panel, and everything seems cool(I’m guessing the relay was not being engaged via software). I ohm’ed it out when testing it and it seemed like it might be working, but maybe not entirely. The voltages are now even, and the Ford Charge station Pro fired right up and the ground fault did not return. Plugged the truck in and it started charging normally.

Think there is any reason to worry at this point?

So, I’m guessing the 6000ex is not working entirely as designed with it’s relay based G/N bond, as I disabled it in the software, and added one in the panel, and everything seems cool(I’m guessing the relay was not being engaged via software). I ohm’ed it out when testing it and it seemed like it might be working, but maybe not entirely. The voltages are now even, and the Ford Charge station Pro fired right up and the ground fault did not return. Plugged the truck in and it started charging normally.

So 1) no ac input to inverter, 2)no G/N bond in inverter, and 3) AC Out to a panel where you have a G/N bond in the panel feeding the charger.

Sounds like you have it setup right. Some of the voltage imbalance may have been going over the ground before.

When it was RMA'd previous to me, the sheet it came with said they upgraded the firmware to the new version that allows the neutral/gnd bond to be enabled/disabled via the software. I've tried with with it enabled and disabled, and see no difference. There is also no difference with the sub panel connected or not. Not sure why there would be, though.

My 6000ex doesn’t create a NG bond as well. I tried Setting 34 both Disabled and Enabled, but neither has a NG Bond. The latest firmware was suppose to allow configuration of the NG Bonding. I guess your inverter isn’t an isolated case.

See you figured it out. N/G bond fixes the issue.

BTW You may have the later version where the N/G bonding screw was removed before the newer firmware had the N/G option.

See you figured it out. N/G bond fixes the issue.

BTW You may have the later version where the N/G bonding screw was removed before the newer firmware had the N/G option.
I thought that might be the case, once I found there was a pre-feb 2023 version.

Now sent an e-mail as suggested to the sales e-mail, (and just now, the support e-mail just found) because, in the tech support section they suggest sending an e-mail, but don't appear to actually supply the e-mail to send it to...

Unfortunately, working with SS has put this youtube channel project with a couple sponsors about a month behind now (They also put the purchase on a credit hold for a week, due to different billing and shipping addresses, so we looked elsewhere, then came back). We've even got Ford Motor Company watching on the Lightning forums, but can't move forward. I'm not the most patient person with stuff like this mainly because I work in retail, for a pretty large company, and I know, even with our revenue, we wouldn't be this sloppy, slow, and un-customer focused, and expect to grow.
Hey @Murphyslaww!

If you are cool with checking to see if the bonding screws are in your inverter, I can send you a video showing where to check. I want to help you get your project up and running.

There should be a zip file with a couple of photos and a video attached to my response. If the forum works the way I'm assuming it does at least. If you are comfortable checking the inverter for this, then awesome! Use these as references for that. If there is not a bonding screw in the inverter, I can get one sent over to you ASAP and once installed you should see the voltages level out.

Attachments

• EG4 6K GNB Screw.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
In case the Zip file does not work, here are the photos. I can't upload the video, but the photos do a really good job of showing them off.

Attachments

• EG4 6K GNB Screw (1).JPG
    EG4 6K GNB Screw (1).JPG
    981.7 KB · Views: 28
  • EG4 6k GNB Screw.jpg
    EG4 6k GNB Screw.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 29
I'm guessing if I go in, they probably aren't there, which makes this one of the later versions, I assume, and the relay isn't functioning? I added a bond in the panel, and everything seems golden now.

Ground fault on the Ford Charge Station Pro went away, and we got our first day of sun in weeks today, and the array is putting out 2.5kW that will shortly be moving into the Truck...

We're going to start a build thread on this soon in the show and tell, and a vid series on it on my channel.

That's great to hear! I'm glad everything is up and running.

I'll look for your new thread when it comes out.

If you need any help or anything, just tag me or DM me.

Hello! I am having this same issue. Removed the screw and while there was not continuity between the ground and neutral buss in the inverter the voltages were still off (L1 - 105V, L2 - 138V).
I updated the firmware, checked under both options under setting 34, replaced the screw and tried again and still abnormal voltages between L1 and L2. I will not pass my inspection with this anomaly and I'm wondering what my options are. Please help.
That's great to hear! I'm glad everything is up and running.

I'll look for your new thread when it comes out.

If you need any help or anything, just tag me or DM me.

I'm guessing that the voltages only even'd out at the panel and they were still off in the inverter?

Sorry to revive this. I have the same issue. The screw IS there. Thanks for those images. But I get abnormal voltages.
H to N is 120V
N to G is 20
H to G is 108
H to G is 133

Same circumstances whether program 34 Enabled or Disabled. Screw in the unit.

If I bond in the sub panel that the inverter is feeding (which seems to remove the imbalance)
What will happen when I add my AC input later that also has a bond.

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_083851346.jpg
    PXL_20240310_083851346.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
Back