diy solar

diy solar

I don't want to get burned again

TonyV

I need to get new panels, are the SanTan used panels ok? does anyone have actual experience with them? looking at the Snail trail SanTan 230W panels.
TIA

Overall - I had success from @SanTan Solar and would recommend - but my experience is now 2 years old.

A couple of years ago, I did 2 separate purchases from Santan Solar. First order was 4 x 300w used monos. Panels were fine but one of them needed a new diode pack - cost $5 and a week to ship. Second order was 40 x Suntech 285w 9yr polys. Panels were fine but one (at bottom of 20 panel stack) had complete glass destroyed and one had bad diodes - again had to replace the diode pack.
1705718367718.png1705718381683.png
TMI: I bought them for storage / emergency deployment - but have put 6 in service for over 2 years and they work fine.

The panels work fine, as advertised, and at $70 each.....

Depending on the size of you're order, I'd suggest ordering an extra one or maybe a couple of extra if you do 40 x. The shipping is the HUGE sticking point here - can't return them cost wise. Santan offered a discount on future order - but I never did order.

Also, I happen to have a metal skill saw and used it to chop into small enough parts the one that was totally destroyed to put in the trash can.

Last edited:
Buying used, I would look for premium brands. SunPower, REC, Q-cells, etc.

But right now we can buy "other" brands in the $0.15 to $0.25/watt price. I'm not sure which is better.

I paid like $27.00 each for 10 of their 270 watt cracked back sheet panels.
How do y’all know these things even work…do they test em ..? Do you..? I have never considered used panels but I can see the value if you need a lot of them.. I know nothing of the used panel market..

I posted a question about this last week and only got a vague rely or two. I’m interested in San tan as many have talked about them… im not far from Georgia , can you pick them up there… ?. Can you go look and see them..? Is there any kind of warranty..?
J

Qcells, 1 year Santan warranty

"Already been through the horse", but still 1 year Santan warranty:

These don't mention warranty, but that may be an oversight:

No $27 panels today. Sometimes there are discounts. I got REC a year ago for a great price.

I've purchased 66 used snail trail panels over the course of 3 years from San Tan. I tested the panels and some had issues, but they made it right with little issue.

Would buy again, but with the deals on some of the new panels now... it might be hard to decide

I've purchased 66 used snail trail panels over the course of 3 years from San Tan. I tested the panels and some had issues, but they made it right with little issue.

Would buy again, but with the deals on some of the new panels now... it might be hard to decide

Would definitely go new with some of the deals seen last month.

Qcells, 1 year Santan warranty

"Already been through the horse", but still 1 year Santan warranty:

These don't mention warranty, but that may be an oversight:

No $27 panels today. Sometimes there are discounts. I got REC a year ago for a great price.
Intresting….I may call and talk to them…im looking at 8 packs of Rich solar 335 - 400 watt as a possibility..
there seems to be somewhat of a deal on them but they are still nowhere near low cost…I will let you know if I do ,as the price will drop dramatically within a few days… Haa…

thanks for the input..

J

thats my main concern…it’s sorta like a pig in the poke.. ya may get lucky ….or ya may not.

thanks
J.

Intresting….I may call and talk to them…im looking at 8 packs of Rich solar 335 - 400 watt as a possibility..
there seems to be somewhat of a deal on them but they are still nowhere near low cost…I will let you know if I do ,as the price will drop dramatically within a few days… Haa…

thanks for the input..

J

thats my main concern…it’s sorta like a pig in the poke.. ya may get lucky ….or ya may not.

thanks
J.
I will say, when I called and told them I had 8 panels that were horrifically underperformed, we went back and forth a couple of times with them asking my testing process, and when I showed proof, they shipped 8 almost pristine panels for absolutely free, and told me i could keep the 8 underperforming ones. The only downside is they sent me silver frames when the rest of mine were black frames, but I couldn't really complain.

I will say, when I called and told them I had 8 panels that were horrifically underperformed, we went back and forth a couple of times with them asking my testing process, and when I showed proof, they shipped 8 almost pristine panels for absolutely free, and told me i could keep the 8 underperforming ones. The only downside is they sent me silver frames when the rest of mine were black frames, but I couldn't really complain.
Hard to beat that……I may try some as a test order to see how it goes…Thank guy.
J.

Grab some new Samsung 300W panels for $86+shipping from sig solar and then can take the 30% tax credit on top.

How do y’all know these things even work…do they test em ..? Do you..? I have never considered used panels but I can see the value if you need a lot of them.. I know nothing of the used panel market..

I posted a question about this last week and only got a vague rely or two. I’m interested in San tan as many have talked about them… im not far from Georgia , can you pick them up there… ?. Can you go look and see them..? Is there any kind of warranty..?
J
They test everything they sell. But occasionally there can be shipping damage. They are very easy to work with. They will send replacements or refund. (Your choice)
I always order extras. It's easier to get a refund than wait for replacement.

Grab some new Samsung 300W panels for $86+shipping from sig solar and then can take the 30% tax credit on top.
Appreciate that… will Look them here and there and see what Samsung is doing..
J.

It is quite refreshing when a vendor treats customers right. Stands out in stark contrast to some "other" vendors that fill the tabloids here.

Santan is one. I bought a few extra panels beyond multiples of 8, 110 total. Only issue was one with a nick through the backsheet which damaged a cell. Likely not their handling or shipping, but before they got it. They took care of that. Others report them handling bigger issues, like above.

Current Connected is another. I haven't bought from them, but people report good results. Including one who had bought just before manufacturer slashed prices. He grumbled here, Dexter addressed the issue off-line, and buyer reported back that he was satisfied.

Many panel choices from Santan, ranging from old degraded lower efficiency ones to newer and brand new. Design your array including minimum Vmp and max Voc as well as current per MPPT input for compatibility with your inverter/SCC before buying, and buy a few extra.

Back