diy solar

diy solar

I don't want to get burned again

They test everything they sell.
I'm not sure this is true. Out of the 8x 250w panels I needed replacing, 4 of them output under 100w in ideal conditions, the worst one only outputting 64w.

Meanwhile all the rest were 200w+, with some in the 240s.

I think they are only testing for VOC, but not actually testing output

I'm not sure this is true. Out of the 8x 250w panels I needed replacing, 4 of them output under 100w in ideal conditions, the worst one only outputting 64w.

It's possible that they spot test. And not every single panel. But, they do stand behind everything. So, I'm ok with that.
In the over 150 panels I have purchased from them. (Several shipments)
I have had one that underperformed and 6 that were damaged in transit. All were a simple phone call and picture. And emidiatly refunded.

I believe this is correct.

They are selling used panels. Can't really ask them to do much more than that.

Well - they didn't test VOC of each panel in my case, because that would have shown the bad diode packs. However, when I requested a guarantee of 90% original specs on 9yr old panels they did agree and in fact they tested 95%+ on just loose testing.

Ordered used panels twice from SanTan. Prices are ok, but shipping really jacks things up. The first shipment had 3 damaged panels. It was obvious a fork had been raised too high totally missing the pallet and smashing the bottom panels. Quickly received a refund for the damaged panels.

Received the second order from them ~3 weeks ago. Took them over a month to ship. When I finally received them, everything looked fine. No evidence of any shipping damage, but the bottom panel had a 'scrap' label affixed to its frame along with a big hole. The only way for this label to get around the frame of the bottom panel was for it to have been placed there before the pallet stacked, covered, and shrink wrapped. It took over a week to get any response from SanTan. Just sent them another reminder email, but as of yet, still not seeing a refund.

From what I have read so far they seem like a good choice. I'm planning on ordering 20 or 30 panels from them when the weather warms up.

It's the only real way I can afford to fill the field beside my house with panels :)

From what I have read so far they seem like a good choice. I'm planning on ordering 20 or 30 panels from them when the weather warms up.

It's the only real way I can afford to fill the field beside my house with panels :)
I started with 15 but now I'm up to 88 panels (25kw of PV) and still don't have enough for winter! Panels are just soo cool at providing low maint free power they can be addictive. I have 55 deployed and 33 under the house (they sit there quietly) for emergency deployment

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just ordered the 88 panels the 1st time instead of 5 separate orders over time and save big (>$1500) on the shipping :)

Last edited:
I started with 15 but now I'm up to 88 panels (25kw of PV) and still don't have enough for winter! Panels are just soo cool at providing low maint free power they can be addictive. I have 55 deployed and 33 under the house (they sit there quietly) for emergency deployment

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just ordered the 88 panels the 1st time instead of 5 separate orders over time and save big (>$1500) on the shipping :)
Same here. I could of almost bought 10 panels from santan $1000 for what I paid for 2 panels from renogy $800.

20 years ago I bought 24 (120W) panels, collected my first rebate. Then 76 more of those plus 18 (156W) panels.
Fast forward two decades, bought 110 (327W), 24 (325W), 25 (320W), 62 (370W, for family and friends.)

I need more roof space!

Santan BOGO

? Buy One Get One FREE on select panels (code: bogofree)
? $195 Flat Rate Shipping on ALL Pallets (code: 195flat)

240W x 75% of rating tested output
$45, 50% off with BOGO
That's $0.13/W

Any chance $195 flat-rate pallet shipping applies for a pallet of BOGO? (fat chance!)

But rather than $0.13/W for "oats that have already been through the horse", I'd buy cheap new panels for $0.20/W +/-, or premium used panels.

I got the Bogo email too.
Haven't looked at what is available in the deal.
I have too many panels that aren't yet installed, already. lol

Santan has limited quantities of new panels (leftovers from jobs.)
Inxeption is a place some of us have bought from. Mostly containers full offered, but also pallets.

eBay, some vendors list. You can sort by distance to find within local pickup range.

Then the regular retailers, including Signature Solar, Current Connected, Alt E store, etc.

thanks for all the reply's sorry I didn't get on here sooner, spent a couple days in the hospital. I do appreciate all the comments.
I would like to ask a newbee question if I may, I am looking at a new all in one inverter/charger, and it has a pv input range of 120-500V, now im trying to figure out my new panels, if the panel says it has a Voc of 21.6v is that only at max sun like the watts, or is that no matter what as long as it is getting some sun? if it is only at max, how do I know if I will have enough voltage going to the inverter to charge the batteries? thanks

I could be wrong, but thought it was under ideal conditions w/no load. What panel are you considering with a voc of 21.6v? Don't think I have any below ~38v and they are 250w panels.

I could be wrong, but thought it was under ideal conditions w/no load. What panel are you considering with a voc of 21.6v? Don't think I have any below ~38v and they are 250w panels.
i have some 100w panels, I think I am going to have to get new ones about 250w each, just hate not being able to use the old ones as they are only a year old. but I am going to go either 24v or 48v for my camper that is on my property while the house is being built. my current system in a smaller camper is only 12v

Voc, Vmp, Isc, Imp are quoted at STC, 25 degrees C and a flash of 1 sun, 1000W/m^2.
Voc doesn't vary much with illumination, but it does decrease about 0.2% to 0.4% per degree C. Increases at lower temperature.
You must calculate max voltage based on data sheet temperature coefficient and your locations historical record cold.
Or, assume +16%, which is conservative.

Your inverter will have MPPT (buck converter) which drops voltage and boosts current.

i have some 100w panels, I think I am going to have to get new ones about 250w each, just hate not being able to use the old ones as they are only a year old. but I am going to go either 24v or 48v for my camper that is on my property while the house is being built. my current system in a smaller camper is only 12v
Unless you have a pile of them, yeah, I'd be looking for other panels. Here is pop's camper setup using 2 PowerQueen (rebranded srne) 30amp controllers (Vmax 100v, mppt range +2-75v) and (4) 250 Mitsubishi panels (Voc~38v, Imp~8.35a, Vmp~30.5v.). Panels are wired in series, 2s, letting us get away with a 50" run of 12gauge pv wire. The falling price of lithium made it very tempting, but this system will need to run below freezing temps and be basically maintance free, so we went with WallyWorld lead-acid batteries.

If you go 48v, maybe it would be something that could be repurposed for the new house?
1706192344142.png

I have 4500 watts of santan 250watt snail trail. They have been great. They were about 30 minutes from but has since closed here.

Santan BOGO

? Buy One Get One FREE on select panels (code: bogofree)
? $195 Flat Rate Shipping on ALL Pallets (code: 195flat)

Valentines Day special code bogohalf works out to 25% discount on entire order of used panels and pallets of panels.

Back