diy solar

diy solar

Is there a proper way to pull one feed directly from grid?

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Setup is a Sol-Ark 15K fed directly from meter (with disconnect in between).
I have the whole house on load. Because of this, I don't always notice when grid is down. They make simple devices that will alert you when power is out, but obviously they won't work on a normal outlet. So, I'd like to pull one line to an outlet that is directly from grid. But I know outlets have to be on a breaker. Is there a proper way to do this?

My first thought would be to replace the disconnect with a small Load Center capable of still supplying the Sol-Ark 15k with 200a.

Might be able to use Gen Start wire (turn on generator when batt below 100%), or the smart load (turn on or off from grid or battery).

If you have home assistant, you can add the modbus plugin (or nodered), and just poll the status of the inverter. if grid is disconnected, send an alert to your phone.. or if you have color changing LEDs, change one of your bulbs to red or something.

You can tap the bottom of the disconnect. Install a breaker to protect the tap wire. (Within 10' of the tap)
Tap wire must be rated for at least 10% of the available current. For a 200a feeder, that would be a minimum of 20a.
The easiest way is to mount a din rail breaker inside the disconnect.
But you could mount a small breaker box or disconnect next to it.
This tap could also be made in the Sol-Ark, on the input.

Last edited:
You can tap the bottom of the disconnect. Install a breaker to protect the tap wire. (Within 10' of the tap)
Tap wire must be rated for at least 10% of the available current. For a 200a feeder, that would be a minimum of 20a.
The easiest way is to mount a din rail breaker inside the disconnect.
But you could mount a small breaker box or disconnect next to it.
This tap could also be made in the Sol-Ark, on the input.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I thought there might be a max length and rating requirement.
I think the disconnect has a place to connect, the Sol-Ark doesn't.

Plug in 120vac Emergency light? When 120v power fails, the emergency light turns on using an internal battery. (No idea what the question is. I'll live.)

Back