diy solar

diy solar

My 44kW vertical and bifacial set in Finland.

Lots of options...
Power rectifier would be the easiest.
An Emerson R48-3000e3 can be had for $75.
You don't need to use any of the fancy programming features in the thread above, could just buy it for a pre-programmed voltage.
You could also pick a "cheap" AIO like the SRNE HYP, ASP, or HESP and use it for charging only if you wanted to have a additional solar charging power as well.
I pretty sure I'm too dumb for this kind of stuff. I mean my electrical knowledge is closer to "ouch, that hurts but did it again" than "ouch, that hurts but now I know better). 🙁

Although cheap is always intriguing to me.

I pretty sure I'm too dumb for this kind of stuff.

It's pretty much plug and play - it's a Chargeverter without the yellow case around. You hook up the battery, hook up the AC, and that's it. You just have to make sure you get them pre-programmed with the right voltage (57V should do just fine for 16s LFP).

They're cheap (yes, they're used) - but I've had no issues. It feels good to have dedicated separate charging hardware, not just the inverter. You can also add more of them as you go/need.

It's pretty much plug and play - it's a Chargeverter without the yellow case around. You hook up the battery, hook up the AC, and that's it. You just have to make sure you get them pre-programmed with the right voltage (57V should do just fine for 16s LFP).

They're cheap (yes, they're used) - but I've had no issues. It feels good to have dedicated separate charging hardware, not just the inverter. You can also add more of them as you go/need.
I understand there are cheap chargers like these and hooking one up wouldn't be a problem even for me, BUT I'd want it to work only when I have excess PV power (or when genny is working). Spot prices are sometimes so low (negative even) that it is not wise to sell power to grid. I can suppress production by unticking "solar sell" box to avoid actually paying for backfeeding grid, but would prefer to charge batts with that extra energy instead.

I understand these low price chargers would be a nice addition when using generator though.

are these 3kW output?
wondering if you have measured the efficiency of conversion with your unit?

How do you have them in parallel without comms cable? So they are each powering different buildings/loads/panels?
I'd say they are. They are installed like you'd install one and then install another one exactly the same. But they don't have comm cable connected and they don't share batteries so each Deye has its own battery bank. They both power my main panel together. They need to have separate CT coils (main panel is 75m from my "Solar corner" so needed two Eastron SMD630 modbus V2), but those are just located next to each other in my main panel.

I'm always amazed how nicely they work together without any communication. They also seem to be able to share at least some (witnessed max ~3kW) of their charging power through LOAD-port when the other one is having more PV than it can use for charging its own battery bank and the other one has room for it. That was surprising bonus. When both connected to LFPs, smaller bank is always emptied first, so there's room for charge when PV is available next time. With the other connected to LFP and other to FLA, LFP is emptied first so FLA can stay near full as long as possible which is nice for lead chemistry.

As they both have different batt banks I'm guessing they can both be connected to my "Little blue" genny and be charged 2x12kW=24kW from it. If they were connected to single batt and have comms cable, genny could only be connected to one and charge max 12kW.

This is why I'm asking if anybody can help me to add more charging capacity to my system. At the moment I could use more PV (and later genny) charging power to my system. I bet a third Deye would work just fine connected the same way like these two, but maybe there are better/cheaper ways to do it?

I'm really surpised if I'm the only one using Deye/Sunsynk/SolArk this way. Maybe I later find out why.

It was about three years before I started building my solar than I decided I'll most definitely go with vertical bifacials if I ever build one. It was nothing as fancy what Matt Ferrell talks about. It's just that we have up to 19 hours of sun in the summer and I have open fields on my property plus it snows every other day in the winter. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure which way to go. There might be drawbacks though with high winds, ground heave force moving those poles or oxidation underneath glue patches, but I tried my best to address every possible problem. Then again my best isn't that much...😕

To optimize vertical bi-panels, one should lift them at least 1m from the ground, which bothers me on that video. Also using bi-panels as actual fences might not be that wise as making a fence out of glass wouldn't be my first choice... I also get why solar parks have their panels stuffed side by side, but when you have more land than you are ever going to install panels, leave some room between panels to get more backside irradiation if you can. It will get you more production. Lastly but not leastly albedo is very important and I will try to do some experimenting with it next summer.

In any case it's way too early to say if my setup is a hit or miss. Production seems to be ok, but longevity is still a total mystery.
I’m sorry if this sounds stupid, but why would you need the panels to be 1m above ground?

I’m sorry if this sounds stupid, but why would you need the panels to be 1m above ground?
Nothing stupid with your question. There are two reasons that I can think of. First is snow as we can have more than 1m snow maybe once in a decade. I really don't want to clear snow around my panels as I have to do that with my 1ha (~2,5acres) yard already. Secondly studies show that backside production of bifacials increase when you elevate then up to 1,2m from the ground. This has to do with more sunlight getting behind the panels. Up to 0,8m production raises rapidly and tapers off @1,2m. Didn't want to go 1,2m elevation because production increase is marginal after 1m and was worried about winds already.

studies show that backside production of bifacials increase when you elevate then up to 1,2m from the ground. This has to do with more sunlight getting behind the panels. Up to 0,8m production raises rapidly and tapers off @1,2m. Didn't want to go 1,2m elevation because production increase is marginal after 1m and was worried about winds already.
Is that study not about horizontally lying panels ?

However, with your vertical panels, being 1m off the ground also helps receiving more reflection of light after hitting the ground.

Is that study not about horizontally lying panels ?

However, with your vertical panels, being 1m off the ground also helps receiving more reflection of light after hitting the ground.
It doesn't matter if your panel is vertically or horizontally installed. It's all about getting light to the backside of the panels. The more light there is the more chances it has to hit the backside of your panel (reflecting from the ground, nearby buildings, trees, fences...). Albedo plays a big role here.

EXW and never again.
Sellers on Alibaba often tell me that EXW is more cost effective to me than DDP, but after calculating the custom declaration fees, destination port fee, and VAT fee I have to pay at the port I see that DDP is only slightly more expensive but can save me a lot of headache.

Why do they tell me that ? Because they want to sell their product quickly, and they want to make customer feeling attracted to the smaller EXW price. Am I right in this thought process ?

Sellers on Alibaba often tell me that EXW is more cost effective to me than DDP, but after calculating the custom declaration fees, destination port fee, and VAT fee I have to pay at the port I see that DDP is only slightly more expensive but can save me a lot of headache.

Why do they tell me that ? Because they want to sell their product quickly, and they want to make customer feeling attracted to the smaller EXW price. Am I right in this thought process ?
You have asked this same question now multiple times to different forum member and basically got the same answer..
EXW is a major headache in the eu..
If a seller is still not wanting to do DDP, it is time to look for a new seller

Just my (not so ) humble opinion

Back