diy solar

diy solar

Question on All-in-one Inverter

gabe1475

Have a question on all- in-one inverters. Specifically looking at EG4 or Growatt 3k system. The installation would be for an off grid tiny house where I would like to shut off AC power when we are not there. Do these unit allow turning off AC power but still charge the batteries through PV charging?

You can switch off the EG4 3000 and if you have PV input it will charge your batteries when there is no longer PV input after a short while it shuts doen the display and goes to sleep. It will then wake up in the morning when there is again a PV input and the display will come on and it will charge with all the information on the display.

It might be more worthwhile to instead look at a component system vs an AiO. Get a MPPT controller, and a high-quality low-frequency inverter. In general, the higher the quality of the inverter, the lower it's background idle consumption, so you may find that with quality components you never have to shut anything off. What is the big issue? We are just talking about 1 extra box with two extra wires. You won't need a degree in electrical engineering for that.

If the concern is power usage, you can shut off the breaker in your panel. If the concern is fire risk, then the solar charging is still a concern if the AC's off.

basically you want to de energize your home but leave the charge functionality on so it can keep the batteries topped off. Even if the inverter can’t shut the loads off with a software setting or even if the inverter doesn’t have a physical breaker, you connection from your all-in-one inverter to your main panel will, which you could switch that off and you’ve accomplished what you asked without any special features.

I know my MPP 1012 and my Growatt 3Kw will both still charge the batteries from the solar even when the main switch is off. Solar in, no AC out.

Back