diy solar

diy solar

Reverting DC Setup to A/C

tucarb

Hi Gang - I've got a 16ft, 80's tow behind camper.
Its trailering days are over and I am remodeling it to be a little guest camper in the backyard.

The location I have it parked used to have a little work shed.
We removed the structure but will be using the old plumbing supply/waste
and electrical supply.

There are 4 - 20amp circuits run to the location from the main breaker
Electrician came out and inspected, updated box, breakers.

So the camper will be run on AC but it has existing LED lighting and 2 Maxxfans that are DC powered.
I have easy access to the DC wiring but not sure how to source DC power to them from my AC source.

I thought I could just wire the DC stuff to appropriate sized plug-in bricks
One for lights
One for the fans
I can measure but I think total power at max fan speeds and all lights is under 10amps 12v DC

I have an AC outlet at the source.

Not sure if this is the way to go about this or not?

Sorry if this is off DIY solar topic but I figure a lot of you may know how best to address this.

Thanks for any advice.

You may want to take a look at a standard RV power center/converter. These are particularly made to convert an AC input into DC and distribute it to various DC loads.

Your idea of bricks for everything will work, but it will likely turn out pretty messy.

If you wanted smallest form factor, cheapest, and maybe most simple wiring, you could check out some of the amazon 1200w DC power supplies. There are a few cons with this though, in my opinion.

The ultimate would be to cover your camper roof in solar, have a battery bank that directly drives your DC loads, and then an inverter for any of your AC needs. But it sounds like you're not much interested in that :cool:

Good luck with your project!

Back