diy solar

diy solar

Small diesel generator...

Hello,

Any recommendations for a 2000-5000W portable diesel generator?
Any particular reason for diesel? That’s kinda the sweet spot for portable gasoline/propane/NG generators…
Not that diesel isn’t better in some ways, just curious what your criteria are

What ever diesel you get make sure it's a 1800rpm unit. Theyblast longer and are more quiet. $4k should get you a decent non chinese brand diesel generator.

If you dont need it as portable you can trailer mount a Mep802a. Liquid cooled, 1800rpm military diesel that's designed to run on red diesel. They also burn less fuel per KW than a honda eu2200.

This what you want:

No, it's not cheap, but if you change the oil, it will last longer than you.

This what you want:

My parents have a dead Onan (propane) sitting in their yard that lasted 4-5 years. It could probably be revived, but after two main circuit boards and a Cummins tech scratching his ass on a connected laptop for three days trying to figure out generators (no clue), they abandoned it.

This what you want:

Yes, I had an Onan 7000 (diesel) in a motorhome at one time and it worked without issue for years.

My parents have a dead Onan (propane) sitting in their yard that lasted 4-5 years. It could probably be revived, but after two main circuit boards and a Cummins tech scratching his ass on a connected laptop for three days trying to figure out generators (no clue), they abandoned it.

Diesel and propane generators predate laptops.
An old rebuilt one could be better. Until the last of the mechanics die off?

What is used in refrigerated sea going containers?

Diesel and propane generators predate laptops.
An old rebuilt one could be better. Until the last of the mechanics die off?

What is used in refrigerated sea going containers?
Photo taken just now through a screen and dirty window.

IMG_0239.jpeg

I trust the orange Ingersol Cummins 4BT powered unit to the right. It’s had a starter and water pump replaced and no computer control. Easy to work on.

The early 2000s Onan to the left (near the propane tank)? Not so much.

I would be looking for specific military MEP units. New? I would be game to try out a Yanmar.

Light tower generators are 1800 rpm diesels in the 4 to 8 kw range. Kubota, Kohler and Mitsubishi are common engine manufacturers typically 3 cyl around 1 liter.

I believe the kubota low boy and some semi apu gensets use the Kubota z482 which is roughly.5 liter 2 cyl, which is why they run that fast. there are small 1 cyl air cooled diesels by yanmar and others. Everything is a trade off between size weight service life, efficiency etc

Back