diy solar

diy solar

Small diesel generator...

I can’t wait to get my system installed and my chargers in, and test my generators, but I just discovered something disconcerting: given the fuel price, fuel consumption, and output power, my power production when using the generators will cost me almost $2 per kilowatt hour! 🤓

I can’t wait to get my system installed and my chargers in, and test my generators, but I just discovered something disconcerting: given the fuel price, fuel consumption, and output power, my power production when using the generators will cost me almost $2 per kilowatt hour! 🤓

What's your fuel price per gallon?

What make/model of gen and what charger?

Or the WGen5300sc.

Perhaps. I ordered a 4600 watt champion inverter to replace the Yamaha (about $1000.00) then cancelled the order once it arrived the store because I realized that I was violating my own rule:

Used Honda or Yamaha is better than new stuff that isn't Honda or Yamaha. I instead went and spent $1000.00 for a 2 year old EM5000SX

These are capable of 37 amps @ 120 volts. I need to figure out how to tie all 3 120V outlets together to get that.

Its more complex on the AVR models as they regulate at least 1 of standard duplex outlets separately whereas the older models had all outlets tied to a single bus with breakers.

20240218_092458.jpg

The diesel generators on DC Solar trailers were 7kW or 11kW. More than most need for charging.
How well would it work if governor was turned down to 1800 RPM, delivering 30 Hz and maybe half voltage?
Feed that through Chargeverter, which is a wide voltage range switch mode power supply - does it work outside normal frequency range? (Chargeverter derates at reduced voltage, might need two.)
That would run quieter, probably give considerably more hours life (whether or not more kWh life.)

Of course there are Lister diesel generators. Apparently Chinese knock-offs, too. "Liseroid"

Those have been made in India since the India threw England out of there country. Late 1970's ?? The original Lister C/S Masde in Dursley, England from the 30's to the mid 80's was imported to India.. India then began cloning those engines. There are some quality issues for sure with the clones. But they can be made to run a long time and be fuel misers.. I have a 12/2 clone 12 horsepower @650 rpm 2 cylinder.. Just some useless tidbits for you there Hedges..

Last edited:
What's your fuel price per gallon?

What make/model of gen and what charger?
On my island gasoline is $10/gal, it’s $7.50-ish on the main island but then you have to transport it yourself. 🤷‍♂️ Honda eu3000 gets 7 hours runtime on 3.4 gallons of fuel at 2500W or 2880VA. Chargeverter GC, plus or minus all the usual inefficiencies. Shouldn’t have to use generators often, but better to have the option.

Those have been made in India since the India threw England out of there country. Late 1970's ?? The original Lister C/S Masde in Dursley, England from the 30's to the mid 80's was imported to India.. India then began cloning those engines. There are some quality issues for sure with the clones. But they can be made to run a long time and be fuel misers.. I have a 12/2 clone 12 horsepower @650 rpm 2 cylinder.. Just some probably useless info for you there Hedges..
Where did you get yours?

I really wanted get a JP4 but hard to find.

You can get generator heads off Ebay, Amazon or wherever. How about finding a little Kubota 2 cylinder and doing some fabrication work?

Many of the small Chinese diesel generators run their engine at 3600 rpm's.

High compression diesel engines don't last very long running at 3600 rpms.
You can just gear it up. We have had a 9hp Yanmar diesel in service since 1991 on a Dayton 8KW generator. Dual belt drive so the motor can run at 1,800rpm instead of 3,600. I'm not sure how many thousand hours it currently has on it.

Where did you get yours?

I really wanted get a JP4 but hard to find.
I found it it in my state on marketplace.. I got a few parts from the guy who sells Lister -petter parts in Kansas.. Supposedly he has the biggest supply of parts and complete Lister and petter engines. I bet he knows where their is a jp4.. His name is Gary at DES (diesel engine service) and is one heck of a nice guy.. Jp4 would make a nice Generator.. They also made jp2 and jp6 I think. His website is dated just used for reference. Better off calling him if you were really looking.

you can buy the little yanmar and kubota engines that are 8-15 Hp two cylinder all day long off of yahoo japan with low hours... 600-700. they come out of rice planters and rice combines. get used once a year for 40 or 60 hours and then the frame of the planter or combine unit rots away. ending up with little 2 and 3 cylinder yanmar and kubota engines for sale for pennies with less than 600 hours. (figure ten - twelve years of use... just replaced my log splitter engine with one of them. 640 hours for a 2 cylinder kubota engine for 40,000 yen. that was 320.00 USD at the time. and its a 1800 RPM model. adustable via the fuel system form a low of 8 to a high of 14.... yeah I went for the max.

you can buy the little yanmar and kubota engines that are 8-15 Hp two cylinder all day long off of yahoo japan with low hours... 600-700. they come out of rice planters and rice combines. get used once a year for 40 or 60 hours and then the frame of the planter or combine unit rots away. ending up with little 2 and 3 cylinder yanmar and kubota engines for sale for pennies with less than 600 hours. (figure ten - twelve years of use... just replaced my log splitter engine with one of them. 640 hours for a 2 cylinder kubota engine for 40,000 yen. that was 320.00 USD at the time. and its a 1800 RPM model. adustable via the fuel system form a low of 8 to a high of 14.... yeah I went for the max.

Would love to acquire one. Are they provisioned with electric start?

Man you should start an export business to the US.

I’m half kidding..

Would be nice to pick a couple of those up.

The diesel generators on DC Solar trailers were 7kW or 11kW. More than most need for charging.
How well would it work if governor was turned down to 1800 RPM, delivering 30 Hz and maybe half voltage?
Feed that through Chargeverter, which is a wide voltage range switch mode power supply - does it work outside normal frequency range? (Chargeverter derates at reduced voltage, might need two.)
That would run quieter, probably give considerably more hours life (whether or not more kWh life.)

Of course there are Lister diesel generators. Apparently Chinese knock-offs, too. "Liseroid"

We used a belt drive to allow ours to run at 1,800rpm yet still spin the generator at 3,600.

Warning- Don’t purchase too small of generator. Leave yourself some “headroom” (additional power capacity) when selecting the size of generator. Over stressing the generator can cause all sorts of problems from under voltage too over voltage issues, too voltage glitches/spikes as loads come on/off,… All bad things that can lead to equipment failures.

This what you want:

No, it's not cheap, but if you change the oil, it will last longer than you.
I have a qd6000 for sale. Well maintained, 2008 midrange hours. Lmk if your interested. (Sorry to crash your thread)

Back