diy solar

diy solar

Small diesel generator...

The diesel generators on DC Solar trailers were 7kW or 11kW. More than most need for charging.
How well would it work if governor was turned down to 1800 RPM, delivering 30 Hz and maybe half voltage?
Feed that through Chargeverter, which is a wide voltage range switch mode power supply - does it work outside normal frequency range? (Chargeverter derates at reduced voltage, might need two.)
That would run quieter, probably give considerably more hours life (whether or not more kWh life.)

Of course there are Lister diesel generators. Apparently Chinese knock-offs, too. "Liseroid"

Yeah but ...

What a maze of extension cords it takes to provide power to all the electric refrigerated containers?

1710607263641.png

Edit - I see what you mean, generator hung outside container.
Are the refrigerated containers stacked where they can be powered by the ship?

460V 3-phase. Makes sense for the application, smaller cords.
Not convenient for us.

Last edited:
See if you can find some military surplus equipment. Tends to be cheaper and some of the older stuff is easier to fix/rebuild if something goes wrong. Just make sure it's not a 400Hz thing.

Yeah but ...

What a maze of extension cords it takes to provide power to all the electric refrigerated containers?
Lot easier to run power cords then diesel lines. Plus safer and more reliable.

Yes the refers are stacked in the middle of the ship down low, close to the power source (ships generator in this case).

At port (on land) there are special locations to power them, awaiting pickup.

You rarely see them on trains, if they are, there are special cars with generators.

My parents have a dead Onan (propane) sitting in their yard that lasted 4-5 years. It could probably be revived, but after two main circuit boards and a Cummins tech scratching his ass on a connected laptop for three days trying to figure out generators (no clue), they abandoned it.
I wish you live near me in charlotte nc, id love to look over a propane onan genny

I wish you live near me in charlotte nc, id love to look over a propane onan genny
If I lived in Charlotte NC, I could have tracked down that jackass that held my money for six months for those six Sunny Boys. Lol. Actually, one side of my family was from there prior to the mid 1800s (they were there since the 1600s). Terrills/Terrells.

I was seriously considered moving to western NC, western Virginia, or Eastern TN (Floyd, NC through Galax VA area. Love it) before I decided to return home. Same scenery as West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky....but I find the people more friendly and less standoffish. There's some sort of line where the culture (and accent) changes which I find incredibly fascinating.

Diesel and propane generators predate laptops.
An old rebuilt one could be better. Until the last of the mechanics die off?

What is used in refrigerated sea going containers?
Used to be those Detroit 2-71 that ran at 1200 or 800 RPM for rail car refeers.
The regulators are all discrete components.

I have one of those but it has 3 phase 6 pole head.
Buying an SAE 2 or 5 head is just about as much as a generator anymore.

Plus you have to change the governor because you can’t change the spring beyond 1200 RPM.

They had some pneumatic systems that would run them at 1200 until temp was reached then they would idle down to 800 or 600.
Never shut off.
One I have is from 1955.

Thanks for all the responses.

After much reading/comparing/ponder I will be getting a small gasoline generator and figure out the gasoline storage.
The small diesel offerings are few. Warranties when not near a service center have little value. I would have to pay for shipping for any warranty repairs and both directions would almost(or could) purchase another gasoline powered generator. The lowest cost diesel I found, I could purchase 6 of the gasoline generators I will be purchasing.

Most end up this way.
Just watch fuel consumption on the bigger gas ones. Some will empty a 10 gallon tank in 7 hrs. The cost really adds up.

Which one are you considering?

Thanks for all the responses.

After much reading/comparing/ponder I will be getting a small gasoline generator and figure out the gasoline storage.
The small diesel offerings are few. Warranties when not near a service center have little value. I would have to pay for shipping for any warranty repairs and both directions would almost(or could) purchase another gasoline powered generator. The lowest cost diesel I found, I could purchase 6 of the gasoline generators I will be purchasing.

What will the generator do?

Fixed load at high output for recharging lipo or something else?

Back