diy solar

diy solar

Wanted: 1200W Propane Generator

PaulLad

Looking for a high quality propane gen to charge my 5k battery. I want one that's not disposable (ie parts need to be available). Thanks!

I've used a Champion 2500w dual fuel - https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100899-2500-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/ - for my trailer and it runs OK and is pretty quiet. It can do 1200w continuous.

I recently upgraded to the MRX 3500 gas version but they make a dual fuel as well - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5GV5HLC/ref=twister_B09YGTGVMW This can do 3000w continuous for a similar price. You might buy additional batteries in the future and a larger generator may pay off?

Not pushing either one - just sharing the smaller size generators I've recently purchased.

Not very efficient I assume to run it at 50% load?
Not sure what you mean. To me, efficiency is how may watts per gallon of fuel - and at 50% it's similar efficiency to 100% load - just takes twice as long to burn the gallon. They say 80% is an optimal load for many generators but I don't have any data on either of the ones I've mentioned.

That's right. How many watts per gallon. From what I've read/seen, at 50% load, its going to cost an extra 20% in fuel to get the same amount of watts as if running @ 80%.

That's right. How many watts per gallon. From what I've read/seen, at 50% load, its going to cost an extra 20% in fuel to get the same amount of watts as if running @ 80%.
So the key issue is to be able to have a charger (or bank of chargers) so you can vary the charging rate to get in that 'most efficient' load range for you're generator. This is where the EG4 Chargverter 5000 is so sweet - it let's you select the charging amps so you can adjust the load on the generator. This can also be done by having several chargers on a power strip with switches - say you had 4 x 10a chargers - then you could select 10a, 20a, 30a, etc until you create an efficient load on the generator.

For my home powerwall, I have both setups and like the Chargeverter best.
1704578390273.png

Last edited:
Honda generators are known for reliability and service after the sale. I have a 20 year old Honda EM5000S that's still running strong although I don't use it as frequently now. Champion also gets good marks here for support after the sale.

Honda generators are known for reliability and service after the sale. I have a 20 year old Honda EM5000S that's still running strong although I don't use it as frequently now. Champion also gets good marks here for support after the sale.
Do they have a 1200 watt model?

Maybe running at lower RPM would be a way to put out less power without lower efficiency. Maybe even higher efficiency. (Maybe tweaks to things like spark advance could further improve.)

For conventional generators, this would require some tampering and would put out wrong frequency, likely wrong voltage. Some chargers might accept that.

Inverter generators, where engines idle down at low load - what are their efficiency vs. power curves?

Honda, I see 1000W, 1800W, 2200W generators listed.
Think they're all gasoline. Don't know if conversion is convenient.

Generator longevity is better at 80% than 100%. In fact, a lot of cheap generators cannot run at 100% for extended periods of time. In addition, power output is more stable at 50-80% where the generator has reserve power to maintain output. Finally, you want reserve capacity to handle changes in load.

So the key issue is to be able to have a charger (or bank of chargers) so you can vary the charging rate to get in that 'most efficient' load range for you're generator. This is where the EG4 Chargverter 5000 is so sweet - it let's you select the charging amps so you can adjust the load on the generator. This can also be done by having several chargers on a power strip with switches - say you had 4 x 10a chargers - then you could select 10a, 20a, 30a, etc until you create an efficient load on the generator.

For my home powerwall, I have both setups and like the Chargeverter best.
View attachment 187299
Tell me more about your setup. I’m trying tofigure out what you have.

I would probably lean into the Honda propane conversion kits.

Amazon kit. Shop around

I have the discontinued Ryobi 900w (700rated) propane. Works great but I just have it for an emergency. Can't speak to how it might hold up with extended use.
http://www.generatoronlinestore.com/store/p129/Ryobi_900_WATT_PROPANE_INVERTER_GENERATOR.html

Champion seems to have good support and has a 2000w duel fuel. 1440w rated on propane.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Pow...ltralight/dp/B08J9NZ9D7/ref=asc_df_B08J9NZ9D7

Hard to hit exactly 1500 watts.

Tell me more about your setup. I’m trying tofigure out what you have.
I have an EG4 Chargerverter -> the battery buss which is 90% efficient and to get the full 100a you need to provide 240v - so it's wired for 240v from my large generator.

Before EG4, I did 8 x YZPOWER going thru Midnite classic breakers to the battery buss. Each YZPOWER is 48v @ 15a, so if all 8 are on it's 15a * 8 = 120a. The idea was I could flip on/off parallel chargers match the capabilities of my Honda eu300is or Champion 2500 or bigger Champion 8000w. However, they are only 60% efficient which is crazy bad - so I'll be removing them and get a 2nd EG4 when I get the $

The reason for 2 x EG4s is that the 1st one needs 240v to get the full 100a. The 2nd one I can wire for 120v and it will match the smaller generators.

Last edited:
I have a Wen DF472. It is 4750 watts, but only $429. I consider it disposable.

BTW, if you have a hybrid car, you can tap into the high voltage battery to recharge your home battery. I would consider that if I didn't have the generator.

Its a 1200 watt propane gen? How many hours do you have on it?
I think it's like 1600w on propane and 2000 on gas, dual fuel.

I run my EG4 48v 18A charger which draws 1050-1200ish watts.

I only have 4 hours on it, running on a barbecue propane can. I also have the adapter to connect it to my 100lb propane tank.

I have a 5,000 watt dual fuel open frame inverter generator.

It works great, extra headroom incase I need more charging power.

If you only need 1500W just connect a cheap inverter to your car battery.

Back